Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 01:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times

Advertisements

So this July I have this trip month long trip planned out for five people and looking for some feedback so maybe I don't make any mistakes. The main goal is Australia, but we wanted to do a bunch of stop overs to see other places and break up the long flights. Recently been to HNL and SFO, but still wanted to spend some time there. Never been to any of the international locations. Flights will cost about $2600 each since all one ways or multi city. Thoughts on ways to get that down more?

Day 1: Travel Day (overnight nonstop flight IAD to DXB 13hours) Emirates Airlines

Day 2: Dubai

Day 3: Dubai

Day 4: Travel Day (nonstop DXB to SIN 7.5 hours) Singapore Airlines

Day 5: Singnapore

Day 6: Singnapore

Day 7: Hired car and day trip to Kuala Lumpur? May not be able to pull this off.

Day 8: Singnapore

Day 9: Travel Day (nonstop SIN to PER 5 hours) Qantas Airlines

Day 10: Perth

Day 11: Perth

Day 12: Travel Day (nonstop PER to BNE 4 hours) Qantas Airlines

Day 13: Brisbane/Gold Coast (will do trip to GBR during this portion as well)

Day 14: Brisbane/Gold Coast

Day 15: Brisbane/Gold Coast

Day 16: Brisbane/Gold Coast

Day 17: Brisbane/Gold Coast

Day 18: Brisbane/Gold Coast

Day 19: Partial Travel Day / Sydney (short 90 min flight from Gold Coast to Sydney) Qantas Airlines

Day 20: Sydney

Day 21: Sydney

Day 22: Sydney

Day 23: Sydney

Day 24: Travel Day (SYD to AKL 3.5 hours) Qantas Airlines

Day 25: Auckland

Day 26: Auckland

Day 27: Travel Day (AKL to HNL 8.5 hours) Air NZ

Day 28: Honolulu

Day 29: Honolulu

Day 31: Travel Day (HNL to OAK) Alaska Airlines

Day 32: San Francisco Bay Area

Day 33: San Francisco Bay Area

Day 34: San Francisco Bay Area

Travel Day (OAK to BWI 5.5 hours) Southwest Airlines

Thoughts? What do you think of the time in each of these places? We have traveled international, but this is by far the biggest trip we have ever planned. It's our lifetime trip. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,267,717 times
Looks good overall to me. But a couple of comments, I think it is too far to drive to KL from Singapore in a day. If you want to experience Malaysia, perhaps have a look at day tours which just go over the border. There is a lot to see in Singapore if you have not been there.

Work out how to see the Reef as you need to fly north, probably to Cairns. You need a couple of nights up there. There are options nearer to Brisbane, such as Lady Elliott and Heron Island but they are probably harder to get to than Cairns, which has a number of daily flights. You can also see it in the Whitsunday region. As it is July, I would go to Cairns. Gorgeous weather up there at that time. Sydney and Perth will be cool, being mid winter, but I never wear gloves or a scarf, just a light coat is enough.

I doubt if you would get the flight costs down as, by my standards, that is pretty reasonable for a lot of distance. But others may have suggestions. We pay about $US1800 for Sydney/Calgary return , as an example, unless you can find a good special.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Looks good overall to me. But a couple of comments, I think it is too far to drive to KL from Singapore in a day. If you want to experience Malaysia, perhaps have a look at day tours which just go over the border. There is a lot to see in Singapore if you have not been there.

Work out how to see the Reef as you need to fly north, probably to Cairns. You need a couple of nights up there. There are options nearer to Brisbane, such as Lady Elliott and Heron Island but they are probably harder to get to than Cairns, which has a number of daily flights. You can also see it in the Whitsunday region. As it is July, I would go to Cairns. Gorgeous weather up there at that time. Sydney and Perth will be cool, being mid winter, but I never wear gloves or a scarf, just a light coat is enough.

I doubt if you would get the flight costs down as, by my standards, that is pretty reasonable for a lot of distance. But others may have suggestions. We pay about $US1800 for Sydney/Calgary return , as an example, unless you can find a good special.
Yes, I am thinking of just cutting out KL, mainly because I don't want to take time away from Singapore. As of now, we are planning a flight to Lady Elliott from Gold Coast.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:09 PM

2,839 posts, read 2,748,562 times
Daytrip to KL is not possible. You could do Johor Baharu (if you want to "check off" Malaysia) or Batam (in Indonesia). Much more doable. Malacca is also somewhat possible if rushed.

Have you considered a pitstop in Uluru if flying Perth-Brisbane?

As a fellow Washingtonian (Alexandria), why spend three days in San Francisco now? You can always do this later: Columbus Day, Labor Day, July 4, Memorial Day.

It's a gorgeous city but you want to take advantage of your remote status to see remote places.

I would consider chopping out San Francisco and replacing with Melbourne, Bora Bora, South Island, etc. Make it a real South Pacific Adventure.

Think of it this way: If you don't see Melbourne, Bora Bora, South Island, Uluru in this trip, what are the changes you'll ever see it?

If you don't see San Francisco on this trip, chances are good you'll still see it as some point since it's right there a 4 hour flight away.

I assume your Brisbane/Gold Coast includes 3+ days in the Great Barrier Reef. If not, Brisbane/Gold Coast aren't worth that much time.

I'm doing Bangkok/Siem Reap/Phnom Penh/Kuala Lumpur/Singapore/Krabi in 2 weeks (total trip is 16 days), so I know how migraine-inducing the planning can be. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2020, 04:20 PM

Thanks manitopiaaa,

I agree. I have been to SF, I just needed to go back, but I really should be taking advantage of being in the really far away places.

I think I will cut out the days in the Bay area, maybe keep one day for just a stopover to rest before the flight home. I think we need to add in Melbourne to the trip.

We do plan to spend a couple of days in GBR. The cost and time it would take to see areas like Uluru is just too much. Even though we will be flying right over it, we can't really justify the cost and time it will take to stop there for what you see. We can't do everything. Your trip sounds amazing. Yes, planning these types of trips is really complex and very time consuming!

Old 01-26-2020, 08:17 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,584,006 times
That should be a good time-I never have time to travel for that kind of length. That said, I've considered doing something like the following: MCO->LHR->DXB->SIN->TPE->LAX->MCO, though I would probably attempt that in a span of two weeks or so, and with basically just a layover in a couple of those spots-I've just always thought it would be cool to say I've done.

Needless to say-you'll have a lot more time than that. Honestly, if it were me, and I had the luxury of having that much time, I might pick a few of those that you don't care quite as much about, and cut down/prioritize so you have more time in the ones you're really going to want to see. But, that's just me, and if you feel like you won't be able to get back to these places anytime soon, then go for it.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:44 PM

4,091 posts, read 3,667,620 times
Love this I'm planning a simmilar trip for 2021.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:29 AM

269 posts, read 197,682 times
Lol, why spend the most time in Brisbane/Gold coast

Old 02-03-2020, 12:49 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,059,682 times
Few general thoughts:

1) Check out Airtreks, they specialize in airfare around the world. I have never used them but one of the guys was on the zero-to-travel podcast that I listen to. They may be able to help save you some money based on relationships/discounts, but even if they can't it's worth looking into. They have other value-adds as well.

https://www.airtreks.com/?amb=301

2) Are you booking the first two legs through Emirates with a codeshare for Singapore Airlines? Or can you check Emirates own flight to SIN? They used to offer a stopover in Dubai package, but they not do that anymore. If so, that is an easy way to save some money, rather than two separate one-way legs on different airlines.

3) If you reduced some of your shorter stopovers (Dubai, Perth, Auckland and HNL all look like they're just over 2 days) to a <24 hours layover, you should be able to save a good amount of money. Of course, staying the extra day or two might be worth it for you. But just remember generally speaking, a < 24 hour layover is gonna be free while a > 24 hr stopover sometimes/often is like buying an entirely other ticket.

4) Specifically in regards to Singapore to KL...you could absolutely do a day trip to KL if you're really really interested...by flying. Tons of flights and usually very cheap. Another possibility is taking the train. There is one overnight train in each direction, so if you're ok with sleeping on a somewhat uncomfortable train then this could work (arrive early morning in KL, train back late at night) and you save two nights of hotel in expensive Singapore. That said, for me, this would not be worth it. I'd just stay in Singapore or consider a short side trip to Johor Bahru if you want to see Malaysia. But I dunno...Malaysia is very much like Singapore culturally so not sure there's a huge draw. If you do go to JB for a day, I'd just spend the night there as accommodations are so much cheaper across the border. (I realize for any side trip from Singapore you'll have extra bags to deal with...I bet your hotel in SG would let you leave it hold for a charge if you're coming back...or if you take the train there should be lockers there)

Old 02-08-2020, 02:26 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,861,856 times
www.kiwi.com is able to save thousands of dollars on just the flights in between absolutely access point. Affordable. Very light luggage is another option that is going to save hundreds. Avoiding the taxi cabs is able save just enough for a Luxury Hotel very easily. I am learning in going from 4 to 16 countries in just 6 years in a row 2013 to 2019. Planning itinerary around 23 to 30 this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World