Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 AM

14,314 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
What I try to say is every single human-being have a different and a unique accent when compared to the other people. Accents might be regional but first of all, they are personal. I don't think personal accent differences in certain province is less than differences between "regional accents".
You are confusing accents with idiolects. An idiolect is the personal speech patterns, words, pronunciation, etc. of a single individual. That's not the same as an accent or dialect, which is common to a group of people and identifies a region.

A regional accent overrides an idiolect, in the sense that people from a certain region with a distinctive accent sound more alike than different, compared to people from other regions. This is despite any personal quirks in their speech.

It simply isn't plausible to say that two English-speakers who are both natives of, say, Seattle, could have more differing accents than an English-speaker from Seattle and one from Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
I am an Italian who happened to be born in Anatolia. Therefore, I cannot speak any Italian but my mother tongue is Turkish. I can also speak in English but my accent is still not equal to Americans'. I have been living in USA for a while and therefore I am a potential American citizen. I used to say that I am Italian but people expected me to speak in Italian. Therefore I decided to identify myself as American both in USA and in the other countries once I get American citizenship. Then, would people think me as a liar if I say I am American? Or will they question why my accent is not American at all?
Once you get American citizenship, you will be an American. Your accent will let people know that you aren't a native born American.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
I am Turkish citizen for the time being but I am not a citizen of Italy. I think it is not incorrect to say I am American because I am eager to be a citizen of USA.
Being eager doesn't allow you to call yourself that.

I once upon a time wanted to obtain Israeli/US dual citizenship really badly. I can't say I'm Israeli just b/c I was 'eager'.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,160 times
I think what really makes someone American is to have an understanding of US history.. which may be tested during the immigration process. Being American is also knowing that living here comes at a sacrifice and comes with freedoms that are constantly trying to be taken away from our very own government. Know the Bill of Rights and enjoy the best of America, which are the economic opportunities to excel in ways that are much more difficult in other countries.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:29 PM

74 posts, read 51,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Once you get American citizenship, you will be an American. Your accent will let people know that you aren't a native born American.
But isn't it possible that even a native born American also has an accent? I think it is possible.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
But isn't it possible that even a native born American also has an accent? I think it is possible.
Native born American have regional accents. Some first generational Americans (born here to foreign parents) may have a slight accent. Usually, 12 years of public schools makes everyone sound more or less the same for their region.

Besides this. most Americans pronounce words in the same way. They use the same words. By region, they have the same rhythms to their speech. New Yorkers are fast talkers and the South has a slower (and charming) drawl.

American know when someone from the UK - same basic language, but doesn't sound the same.

No, you can't fake it. Citizenship is a legal matter. No emotions or desires can change this.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Everyone from Diego Ramirez Islands, Chile to Cape Columbia, Nunavut can lay claim to being "American".

Old 02-09-2020, 02:08 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
I am an Italian who happened to be born in Anatolia. Therefore, I cannot speak any Italian but my mother tongue is Turkish. I can also speak in English but my accent is still not equal to Americans'. I have been living in USA for a while and therefore I am a potential American citizen. I used to say that I am Italian but people expected me to speak in Italian. Therefore I decided to identify myself as American both in USA and in the other countries once I get American citizenship. Then, would people think me as a liar if I say I am American? Or will they question why my accent is not American at all?
I work with a woman who is from Philadelphia, but pretends that she is from Nigeria. She even uses a fake British accent when it suits her. I think she's a liar and dislike her because she is dishonest about her origins.

If you are born in Anatolia, you are Turkish, not Italian. I was born in one country, my parents were born on another continent, and one set of grandparents was born on a third continent. It would be disingenuous for me to pretend that my nationality is that of a parent or grandparent.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM

102 posts, read 116,856 times
Why do you even want to pretend to be American?

Old 02-11-2020, 01:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
The real answer is whatever your passport says. My friend lived in America for his entire life, but was born in Italy and had Italian citizenship. What did he do after graduating college at age 24 (I think)? He moved to Europe.

I got into an argument with this guy from Germany once. I told him I was half German by race/ancestry. He told me I was wrong and that I'm American. Yeah, by citizenship, I get it, but that wasn't what I was talking about and I had explicitly pointed it out to him prior to his comment. I don't know how to make practical matters simpler to some people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World