Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Schengen or the United States: Which offers more variety for a traveler?
Schengen zone 27 65.85%
United States 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:10 PM

37,022 posts, read 39,094,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
So now we're comparing the USA versus Europe based on a food that comes from neither place . There are fantastic Chinese restaurants all over Europe, including many in Madrid, where there is a high Chinese population.
Well, the ethnic diversity and the foods that come with it is a bonus for US cities in my view, though that’s not really what I’m travelling for. However, it is interesting to see how different cuisines adapt to different cultures when transplanted and I actually found Chinese restaurants in Madrid to be really interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 06:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,935,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
So now we're comparing the USA versus Europe based on a food that comes from neither place . There are fantastic Chinese restaurants all over Europe, including many in Madrid, where there is a high Chinese population.
If we're talking about diversity I think the cuisines of immigrants should be talked about too. After all, California doesn't have much in the way of its own cuisine. What it's known for instead is its legendary Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, and Mexican food.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,601,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
If we're talking about diversity I think the cuisines of immigrants should be talked about too. After all, California doesn't have much in the way of its own cuisine. What it's known for instead is its legendary Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, and Mexican food.
I agree with the bold portion. If we're comparing the USA versus Spain, OR France, OR Germany, sure then the USA wins hands down. However the USA isn't the only place in the world where you can find ethnic food, and when you consider the whole of the Schengen Area, along with all the immigrants and foreign cuisine that they bring, then you can find pretty much the same ethnic food all over Europe as you can find in the USA, on top of each country's own food. The only thing I have had a hard time finding in Europe is great Mexican food, save for a small taco joint in Madrid, I have had a really hard time finding good quality Mexican anywhere in Europe.

Last edited by wikiwikirunner; 02-10-2020 at 07:13 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would agree to this to an extent. You can't beat the sheer diversity in natural landscapes, national parks in the U.S. Schengen arguably has some more interesting cities, but NYC's also no slouch. Neither is Boston, Charleston, Philly, Chicago, etc. Each are very different from each other, just like various cities in Schengen.
I wouldn’t say the diversity of urban landscapes and their architecture in the US is anywhere close to that found in the Schengen area. Also, you should look up the density of Madrid’s central districts. If you round them up to to somewhere around Manhattan’s physical area, they’re about as dense.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:22 PM

24,241 posts, read 10,556,999 times
OP according to other posts has been to Mississipi and and Utah and Google.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:25 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,793,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Lol. How dare you to compare The USA with Europe? Haha. The only places worth visiting in the states are less than 10 places, and I am being generous; California, NY, Hawaii, Florida, Colorado, Las vegas, Boston, Chicago....what else??? Lol. It's just suburbia, Mcdonalds, obese people, cars and highways everywhere, and Trump's supporters. No, thank you. Europe only with Italy has much things to see, learn and experience than the USA. Now add that 25 other unique and different countries. I wouldn't like to have an American passport either, so many people hate that country. With an european passport (depends on the country) you can also access to working holiday visas and live in places like Canada, South America, Asia, etc.
I for one, am glad that you don't have an American passport too, and I'm sure I speak for many others as well. We don't need cynical haters or jealous shrews here in paradise.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OP according to other posts has been to Mississipi and and Utah and Google.
That explains a lot. OP might be just frightened by the "unknown" outside his comfort zone.

I think it's hard to reason with you, OP because you made your mind long before you started the thread. So, your first post is a statement, not a question to ponder.
And that's fine with me.
Some people stay in their own country, especially if they think that there is so much to explore and enjoy, and others, additional to that, also happily travel the world to see how things are somewhere else. They focus on things that are not available locally, meet people of different cultures and customs, learn about world history and architecture, experience rain forest, or fjords, ancient worlds, ethnic cuisine, ride camels or elephants, see how people work and live in other countries. They don't mind going out their comfort zone, the adventure in unknown territories, foreign languages and currencies, obviously. Globetrotting builds confidence, develops cultural sensitivity, opens horizons, provides personal enrichment.
Both desires are personal choices.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 PM

102 posts, read 115,738 times
Quote:
OK, so name a Schengen city that has better Chinese food than NY, SF, or LA. London... oh wait, it was never part of Schengen to begin with.
Why would one go to these expensive US just to get authentic Chinese food? I'd fly to Taiwan, Hong Kong or Singapore for that.

This "US cuisine is so diverse" is a joke. It's not more diverse than Europe. It's just as pretty bad. I am pretty sure many non-Asian Americans would not even dare to taste century eggs.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM

It’s too bad India couldn’t keep itself from being partitioned. I think that would’ve been the most interesting expanse of open travel to me—probably would’ve made for a lot more prosperous India to boot.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:40 PM

567 posts, read 501,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I for one, am glad that you don't have an American passport too, and I'm sure I speak for many others as well. We don't need cynical haters or jealous shrews here in paradise.
The USA paradise? It's more like a third world country in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World