Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:50 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Nice pics.

Those brick row houses in Bogota are pretty cool and not common in Latam, at least that I know of.
There used to be many more even many detached/semi-detached, also schools & churches. Loads got cleared away for tower blocks after the US-style monster highways/skyscraper modernist influence.

Bogota Aerial3 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

La-Merced-1400-X-400 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Calle_en_Teusaquillo_calle_17_con_carrera_37 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Palermo by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Bogota-Teusaquillo-01 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Untitled by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Palermo2 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Untitled by Juan Pablo Mejía, on Flickr

Bogota wZNde24 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,905 times
In Europe, my perception is that each country has a unique style.
Looking to pictures, I never had difficulties to point if the city is italian, french, british or dutch.
The case of Germany is interesting because large cities look more modern than I expected, but the small towns also look distinctively german.

Brazilian cities also have a look which I would not confuse with other country.

However, countries where the cities themselves look distinct from each other, I guess USA or Canada due to the heavy influx of immigrants and colonisation for distinct countries - british, french and, in the case of USA, also spanish.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

You also have the more generic mid-sized cities of the low-lying Andean foothills in the country interior Valledupar, Neiva and Ibague.
Sorry, I meant Villavicencio, Neiva and Ibagué.

They both begin with a V but Valledupar is not Andean foothills but Caribbean interior lowlands unlike Villavicencio which is on the transition between Andean foothills and Llanos Tropical Savannah & northern South America's cowboy culture.

Villavicencio, Meta State, gateway to the Llanos Tropical Savannah.

You can't talk about cities or people in Colombia without talking about how intrinsically they're tied to the nature that's on their doorstep and even in the city. Something lost among most in the developed and even much of the developing world.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 03-11-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 03:56 PM

Of the last 10 threads on the world forum, 60% are about Covid-19. I understand its if course THE major topic if our time but its everywhere 24/7 - a little overkill.
Why not discuss some other topics to distract us.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:51 PM

Cali I think is a mix of Atlanta and Camaguey, Cuba; Medellin has a hint of Barcelona & Tel Aviv, Bogota is like a Northern England powerhouse city mixed with Quito, Cartagena is like a mix of Seville & Panama City, Barranquilla feels like a Baton Rouge inside a Mini Dallas and the list of urban diversity goes on.

CALI
Colombia's buzzing comeback city | BBC

Cali

mediamaraton jc_1_339 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali Marriott 98424714 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali sur by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali piedra by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali4 by Calipolitan, on Flickr

ciudad-en-construcción by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

San Antonio Cali by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali, Colombia by Reg Natarajan, on Flickr

Cali rio by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali Natural by ismael cuadros roldan, on Flickr

hayedo-de-juanambu-zona-de-influencia by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cali de noche by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 AM

Spratt Bight, San Andres Colombia

San Andres by Marco Parra, on Flickr

Vista Aerea San-Andres-Norte by Orlando Lo, on Flickr

San Andres panoramic by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

San Andres Juan Bautista La Loma by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

San Andres 112432195 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

San Andres DSC00483 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

San Andres casa_museo1 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

hotel-san-andres by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

SanLuis_08 by Kvjecinka, on Flickr

San Andres Panoramio 24297572 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 03-24-2020 at 12:31 AM..

Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Nice pics.

Those brick row houses in Bogota are pretty cool and not common in Latam, at least that I know of.
These houses reminds me a lot the british row houses; it's a surprise that they are also present in Colombia. I never saw any place like this in Brazil.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
These houses reminds me a lot the british row houses; it's a surprise that they are also present in Colombia. I never saw any place like this in Brazil.
Just type in Teusaquillo, Quinta Camacho, La Merced, Zona G and Palermo, Bogota and you will see plenty on google images. Until relatively recently they were pretty cheap too as the were abandoned for Condos in more desirable areas of the city.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:30 AM

I also think its unfair to say Canada is homogenous. It has about moderate divesity in the urban aesthetics of its cities.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:45 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Outside the US, Italy has a lot of physical diversity between major cities especially between Northern and Southern Italy. France has similar regional differences too though not to the extent of Italy. The difference between Venice and Palermo is definitely very large.

The OP said that Mexico is very homogenous which I don't think is true. Cancun, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta and Ciudad Juarez all look very different. But Mexico has various city models - the beach resort, Mexico City, the colonial cities, and the border cities each with a different style.

Russian cities are very homogenous aside from Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World