Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times

Advertisements

Europeans think Americans don't get Europe. They say that we oversimplify Europe.

This is true when we're talking about the entire continent of Europe. But Europe is comprised of many countries. Europe as a whole is incredibly diverse but if you're just looking at any one country in Europe by itself its diversity is no match for America.

Now I know, there are many, many Middle Easterners, Africans, and Asians in Europe. But no SINGLE European country, except the UK, maybe, can compare in ethnic diversity to the USA.

No SINGLE European country has as much geographical/climatic diversity as the USA.

No SINGLE European country has as much internal political differences as the USA.

Europeans tend to stereotype Americans as being ultra-conservative cowboys with a thick Southern accent, when even in Texas most Americans are not like that at all!

Yes, America AS A WHOLE is more conservative than Europe AS A WHOLE, BUT there are EXCEPTIONS.

Hungary is very conservative, while California and Massachusetts are very liberal.

My cousins in Hong Kong think that all of America is ghetto and dirty--filled with gun violence, drugs, and high school dropouts. I am not denying that American cities have more crime and drugs than cities abroad. BUT at the same time, my cousins would be shocked to learn that I grew up in a suburb of LA (Irvine) that has LESS crime, LESS filth, and MORE education that Hong Kong and even many European cities.

People also don't get that while yes, America in general falls behind most European and Asian countries in math and science test scores, there are LARGE POCKETS of affluent American communities with math/science test scores that would rival Japan, South Korea, and Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
OK, I am sure no one disagrees with you except for the statement that "europeans think...". Europe is a continent, not a country so it makes sense. Plus there is Western Europe and there is Eastern Europe. It's like you're comparing "Canada vs Eurasia" (country vs 2 continents).

Also Amsterdam and Paris have the same ethnic diversity as the most inhabited places in the US. Basically a pointless thread, it may be one of those new "covid threads" (aka 'the west is still cool') etc.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:36 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
I would hardly call America first world now. It's becoming a lot more third world status fast.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:02 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
No SINGLE European country has as much internal political differences as the USA.
Well, you are certainly not very aware of some college fraternities such as Podemos, Vox, Esquerra Republicana, Euskal Herria Bildu…

Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Well, you are certainly not very aware of some college fraternities such as Podemos, Vox, Esquerra Republicana, Euskal Herria Bildu…
Aside from secessionist movements--there is no single European country as politically diverse as the U.S.

Individual European countries typically only span half the political spectrum: Center to Far left. The U.S. spans the entire political spectrum: Far Right to Far Left.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Aside from secessionist movements--there is no single European country as politically diverse as the U.S.

Individual European countries typically only span half the political spectrum: Center to Far left. The U.S. spans the entire political spectrum: Far Right to Far Left.

Except Poland, Greece, Hungary, Bulgaria...the right is a thing.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Except Poland, Greece, Hungary, Bulgaria...the right is a thing.
Are any of those countries as conservative as America?

I could say the same about America--America is conservative except for California, Massachusetts, New York, Maryland, and Washington--the left is a thing.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 AM

^ America and Europe have a different understanding of "conservative" vs "progressive" politics so I may give you the right answer to the wrong question.

In Europe progressive is just anything that emphasizes technological and scientific progress while in America it apparently means more immigrants even if it means the ones coming from conservative Muslim countries, basically it means: more freedom of expression but not a 'scientific push forward'.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:23 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
I think people misunderstand America as 1st world. It is most definitely 2nd world in a lot of ways. I'd go as far and say other countries give us too much credit. Our homeless issues may very well start making our country look 3rd world what with the tents and all. At least we have high pay. Everything else? This rather old house I'm staying in in Nakano, Tokyo right now is helluvalot more advanced than any standard I've seen in the US! The bathtub acts as a hot tub with its separate heater nevermind the toilet... now this is a 1st world country!

Old 03-28-2020, 09:51 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,922 times
Quote:

Politics are multilayered, not just a left to right line. In this regard, the existence of strong secessionist movements translates into a massive internal difference. On the other side, the USA tends to have a very colorful right but a bit dull left, whereas the opposite tends to be true in Western Europe.

Anyway, people usually can spot the differences among the things they know and are used to the most, but not as much among the more alien stuff. For instance, the Chinese languages sound all about the same to me, but the Romance languages look quite distinctive. The Spanish spoken in the different Mexican states all seem rather similar, but the Argentine accents are very well define and diverse to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World