Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 AM

53 posts, read 47,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gres View Post
Since when do Prague, Warsaw, Krakow, Vienna etc. have UFO-shaped bridges? Or a cool modern one like the Apollo most (not that far from the city center at that)? One glance at the square castle on the hill or/and the UFO and you know it’s Bratislava. Add the new “old” bridge and little Bratislava has 3 interesting bridges. Meanwhile Vienna has like none?

And Sofia’s NDK (National Palace Of Culture) is unique and huge. It screams Sofia the way the antic theatre screams Plovdiv.

Vienna has no landmarks and has only unremarkable or tiny bridges on the Danube. Most are just roads going over the Danube. I will never visit Vienna again, most overrated place, even more than Prague. After Bratislava I was disappointed. Doesn’t look like an empire capital without a fancy bridge! Budapest has at least one fancy bridge, it looks more like it was the capital of the empire and not the dull Vienna. Apart from the castle Wien didn’t have any special or unique landmarks. Just your typical Germanic city. Most places in German speaking Europe vary from dull or gray (Berlin, Munich, Vienna) to ugly (Nuremberg). But at least Berlin has the Brandenburg thing. Vienna doesn’t really have a landmark like Berlin, Paris, London, Rome, Athens. As I said Bratislava and Budapest have at least 2.
From central Europe the only city I recognize is Budapest. The Danube and the parliament gives it up.

Prague, Warsaw, zagreb, i need to be told its those cities.

Berlín you can identify if they show the vintage images of the wall, or the Alexander platz tower but most people around the world don't know that tower and the wall is gone. So technically, berlin is not really a city you can identify easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 09:11 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Mmmm...
No. To be honest, those would make me puzzle a bit.

But one glance at Big Ben, and you know we are speaking London.
One glance at Eiffel Tower, and you know we are talking Paris.
One glance at Kremlin/St. Basil, and it's Moscow, no doubts.

I guess it's all about certain landmarks, when it comes to cities recognition.
New York is probably the only exception, ( but even then the Statue of Liberty helps a great deal.)
This century the London eye is 'perhaps' more iconic than 'the clock'? Also Nelsons column (the lions) in Trafalgar Square is incredibly popular (iconic?) with the tourists. Ultimately though Venice has to be the most easily recognised world city (for obvious reasons).

Old 05-04-2020, 09:37 AM

60 posts, read 41,530 times
For Berlin I think the TV tower is also a landmark. For Sofia the TV tower on the Vitosha mountain is one of the landmarks, at least in the country itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World