Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City has hawtest Women?
Los Angeles (LA) 14 25.45%
London 2 3.64%
New York (NY) 6 10.91%
Paris 3 5.45%
Stockholm 8 14.55%
Dubai 4 7.27%
Miami 18 32.73%
Milan 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 01:12 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,687,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Here we go with the Colombians saying Mexicans and Central Americans aren't latinos again.

If you want real latinas with fake **** and ass go to Miami. The type you see on online, go to Miami. T
Miami has plenty of Mexicans, El Salvadoreans, Hondurans, etc.

Fact of the matter is that Miami has more representation of people from south of the border be they cosmetically operated on or not. I have about 50 odd member of my own extended family in Miami, none have had one cosmetic procedure done by the way.

Sure white glorification is an issue in our societies which impacts negatively on people of Native American descent especially in the US and west African descent back "at home" - (being black seems more accepted in the US-American ideal in recent years). However, this issue doesn't excempt the fact that that LA has a limited demographic representation of the peoples of Latin America not just based on nationality but also based on socio-economic status which just happens to be tied to phenotype thanks to 500 years of a colonial system.

Nevertheless, whilst I empathise with your struggle, you do not solve an issue by spouting venom, launching an attack of your own that all Latin Americans in Miami have "fake this and that".

Facts are facts and LA doesn't have an even representation of all Latin Anericans unlike Miami.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 04-16-2020 at 02:23 AM..

Old 04-16-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
I've never heard this before. People of Mexican background do consider themselves of that broader Latino family. People try to pinpoint Latinos as these tropical entities from PR, Cuba and Venezuela but it's the beauty of the thing that there's so much diversity in the region beyond the tropical cliches!
Agreed on your latter statement, although the same is done the other way around especially in parts of the US eg. Rust belt, the mid-west and west coast where people "pinpoint" as you say, the Mexican ideal.

On the former, my cousins moved from New Jersey to California when they were young. They mentioned that many Mexicans they ecountered rejected any notion of being "Latino". One of my closest friends is Mexican, we organised mid to large scale events in London based on Latin American culture and even she says that the Mexicans in London are elitist and don't go to Latin American areas to eat or go out. This is changing with time however and recently Mexicans have embraces a wider Latin American identity. It was more of a struggle in the 90's.

Unlike Mexicans in London; Colombians, Ecuadorians, Dominicans, Peruvians, Bolivians and Chileans visit each others premises often. You see Dominicans in Colombian clubs, Colombians in Ecadorian restaurants and they are main patrons, not the odd trickle here and there. Even Brazilians went to Colombian businesses especially during that initial immigrant wave in the early 2000's to the UK. My parents have owned a Colombian based business for 30 years and at times their no.1 customers have been Ecuadorian or Brazilian. Colombians act as a unifying culture in a way which Mexicans tend to not. The same in fact goes for Brazilians and Argentines that are even more prone to reject their "Latino" identity than Mexicans. Sometimes for valid reasons but more often than not due to prejudice and ultra-nationalistic sentiments (again attitudes are changing bit by bit). This is not usually the case with Chileans, Dominicans, Cubans, Colombians, Peruvians and even Puerto Ricans, that tend to be more ameanable to a wider Latin American identity.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 13,765 times
Miami is tied in first place. Didn't know there were that many hawt Women there?

Old 04-16-2020, 10:52 AM

8,354 posts, read 4,621,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
There are no "Latinos" in LA, by that I mean LA is hardly representative of the Latin American demographic. It just has Mexican, El Salvadoreans, etc. South Americans are practically non-existent (Brazilian, Colombian, Venezuelan, Argentine) even Spanish Caribbean peoples are practically non-existent; DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba. Maybe some Hondurans, that's about it. Not even Panamanians or Costa Ricans.
Point taken. But still a lot greater variety of people than here for sure.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times
Quote:
There are no "Latinos" in LA, by that I mean LA is hardly representative of the Latin American demographic. It just has Mexican, El Salvadoreans, etc. South Americans are practically non-existent (Brazilian, Colombian, Venezuelan, Argentine) even Spanish Caribbean peoples are practically non-existent; DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba. Maybe some Hondurans, that's about it. Not even Panamanians or Costa Ricans.
Sorry, but CA, including LA, definitely has "Latinos", aka "Chicanos".

Old 04-16-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, but CA, including LA, definitely has "Latinos", aka "Chicanos".
Once again I respond with the bolded. Of course there are "Latinos".
Quote:
There are no "Latinos" in LA, by that I mean LA is hardly representative of the Latin American demographic.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 13,765 times
Quote:
Once again I respond with the bolded. Of course there are "Latinos".
Demographics of Los Angeles
The racial/ethnic/cultural composition of Los Angeles as of the 2005-2009 American Community Survey was as follows:[2]

Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 47.5%
Non-Hispanic Whites: 29.4%
Asian: 10.7%
Black or African American: 9.8%
Two or more races: 2.8%
Native American: 0.5%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.2%
Other: 25.2%
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ational_origin

Old 04-16-2020, 03:44 PM

169 posts, read 167,223 times
Quote:
Agreed on your latter statement, although the same is done the other way around especially in parts of the US eg. Rust belt, the mid-west and west coast where people "pinpoint" as you say, the Mexican ideal.

On the former, my cousins moved from New Jersey to California when they were young. They mentioned that many Mexicans they ecountered rejected any notion of being "Latino". One of my closest friends is Mexican, we organised mid to large scale events in London based on Latin American culture and even she says that the Mexicans in London are elitist and don't go to Latin American areas to eat or go out. This is changing with time however and recently Mexicans have embraces a wider Latin American identity. It was more of a struggle in the 90's.

Unlike Mexicans in London; Colombians, Ecuadorians, Dominicans, Peruvians, Bolivians and Chileans visit each others premises often. You see Dominicans in Colombian clubs, Colombians in Ecadorian restaurants and they are main patrons, not the odd trickle here and there. Even Brazilians went to Colombian businesses especially during that initial immigrant wave in the early 2000's to the UK. My parents have owned a Colombian based business for 30 years and at times their no.1 customers have been Ecuadorian or Brazilian. Colombians act as a unifying culture in a way which Mexicans tend to not. The same in fact goes for Brazilians and Argentines that are even more prone to reject their "Latino" identity than Mexicans. Sometimes for valid reasons but more often than not due to prejudice and ultra-nationalistic sentiments (again attitudes are changing bit by bit). This is not usually the case with Chileans, Dominicans, Cubans, Colombians, Peruvians and even Puerto Ricans, that tend to be more ameanable to a wider Latin American identity.
From the times I've visited California, from San Francisco to San Diego, I never got this notion that Mexicans do not consider themselves Latinos? I'm from the Midwest and this is not the reality, and in Chicago it is pretty diverse having people from Mexico all the way down to Argentina, and everyone of Latino background gets along from what I saw in University and in the ethnic neighborhoods.

As to your comment about Latinos in London, I actually just moved back from living in the UK (I've lived in London various times in my life because of school and work) and you see a completely different thing, I'll give you that. While many Mexicans in the USA, especially recent emigres, tend to go into the service industry before starting their entrepreneur journey with opening businesses sending their kids to school and many are now in politics, sciences, medical, media and all sorts of industries, and this is also true of other groups that come from Latin America from Central America, Colombia, Peru, Chile (not so much anymore this group), Dominicans, Brazilians, Argentines, Puerto Ricans (even though they have the advantage) and later Cuban refugees and earlier Venezuelan migrants. Venezuelans and Cubans that managed to leave before the fall of their capitalistic governments were the well off ones, usually of European background, while the later ones were poor whites, blacks and mixed with indigenous etc...while we see the complete reverse in London. Most south Americans there are usually there in the service industry (except Argentines that took advantage of their double nationality with many going to Spain and Italy when their economy crashed...later migrants definetly do work in the service industry though)...Mexicans in Europe though...another story. I do agree with you here...they tend to be more stuck up...as they are mainly students, visiting their family members who stayed in Europe instead of going to Mexico (so they're mainly white Mexicans in other words), and they work for big companies in London, Madrid, Frankfort, Paris, Milan, etc....but they do have a meeting point in London called Mestizo where even cameras from Mexican media go there to see the Independence Day celebrations and I was lucky enough to party there two years ago with my friends from Mexico (last year was at a friend's party, Mexican guy who lives in Chelsea...that should say it all!). The difference was clear! My building's maintenance man is a Colombian refugee who hasn't been able to return to Colombia in more than 20 years and love him to death. And I saw Ecuadorians, Argentines, Peruvians, Venezuelans, and others working in this service industry and all partying together afterwards. I was saddened by the plans of the Latin Quarter in Seven Sisters because I enjoyed going to Pueblito Paisa and trying all sorts of Latin American dishes in London. Camden Town seems to be the new "Latin Quarter" adding Portuguese, Italians, Spaniards, and younger French as well....this is where Mestizo is at by the way.

But at the end of the day, Mexicans do consider themselves as part of the greater Latino family of course, I've never heard the opposite, you hear it more from Argentines if anything? But the family is bigger, in my opinion, as there's also Latin Europe (Italy, Spain, France, Portugal and Romania) as well as The Phillippines, Equatorial Guinea, Senegal, Quebec etc etc etc....it's a big family and everyone is in it!

Old 04-16-2020, 04:22 PM

630 posts, read 521,195 times
Quote:
That's not true. South Americans are practically nonexistent in LA only in relative numbers compared to the amount of Mexicans. In absolute numbers, there are sizeable South Americans communities. They're only under the radar because most of the general population is Mexican. In 2017 It was estimated that 130,000 South Americans live in the Los Angeles County. Hispanic or Latino Population, Los Angeles County, California

Old 04-16-2020, 04:30 PM

630 posts, read 521,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
But the family is bigger, in my opinion, as there's also Latin Europe (Italy, Spain, France, Portugal and Romania) as well as The Phillippines, Equatorial Guinea, Senegal, Quebec etc etc etc....it's a big family and everyone is in it!
That family looks a bit disparate to me I usually say the closer 2 people are, the closer 2 people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World