Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 03:11 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

In the Washington DC metro area, northern Virginia has a large Asian population. Pretty much every mall and strip mall have Asian restaurants or markets. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, South Asian, Afghani, Lebanese are common. Same with Montgomery County, Maryland. I had Uzbek food a couple of months ago. I would say that is rare.

The highest concentration of Asian food I've come across is in Queens, New York. That is hard to beat. I also went to Little Tokyo in Los Angeles last summer. That was a nice experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 03:14 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Nothing like Arroz Chaufa - Peruvian-Asian fried rice, Jalea - Peruvian-japanese Tempura, Lomo Saltado - Peruvian-Asian Beef in Soy Sauce. Tallarin - Peruvian-Asian noodles, Peruvian wonton and a bunch of other Asian dishes which are eaten day in day out in Lima.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:17 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nothing like Arroz Chaufa - Peruvian-Asian fried rice, Jalea - Peruvian-japanese Tempura, Lomo Saltado - Peruvian-Asian Beef in Soy Sauce and a bunch of other dishes Asian dishes which are eaten day in day out in Lima.
Well, I like Peruvian food and Asian food.

So, that must be some killer combination.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I like Peruvian food and Asian food.

So, that must be some killer combination.
Yup, I've not had the pleasure of going to Lima yet but in Bogota Peruvian cuisine is king and the top chefs from Lima have all opened up shop in Bogota, can't wait to head down now RyanAir has connected both cities ultra-cheaply. Just waiting for this mess to be over, it will be my first trip once things are somewhat more normal.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:05 PM

68 posts, read 40,190 times
NYC is weak for Vietnamese food

Old 04-19-2020, 05:15 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
How common is Malay and Indonesian food in the USA and Canada?

Old 04-19-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorasmoothy View Post
This includes food from every part of Asia.
Factors to consider:
  • Variety of Asian food options
  • Quality and authenticity of food
  • Whether such food is considered as a part of daily life or more as an "exotic" specialty
It would be hard to look past your own city in many regards. Given the large and diverse group of people originating from virtually every part of Asia within sydney.

It is not an all encompassing definition of course, and there are a huge variety of Asian cuisines, and measuring quality and Authenticity can be very difficult. However most statistical data confirms that Australians consume vastly more quantities of rice per ca-pita that the USA, Canada and any where in Europe. Asian food in Australia is of course far more popular than say Southern European, South American or the African cuisines which also use rice as a base ingredients.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:42 PM

504 posts, read 598,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
How common is Malay and Indonesian food in the USA and Canada?
Malay is somewhat common in major cities in the USA. Indonesian food is not common unless in an area with a sizeable Indonesian population. Indonesians just don't seem to immigrate to other countries

Old 04-19-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Malay is somewhat common in major cities in the USA. Indonesian food is not common unless in an area with a sizeable Indonesian population. Indonesians just don't seem to immigrate to other countries
Thanks, it was just noticeably absent from Big City Dreamers list, Malay is popular here and common in every Australian City, and it is lovely. Though most are far more Malay/Indonesian Fusion, you will see say Nasi Lemak, Laksa, Sambal, various versions of Goreng, Ikan bakar and Rendang on the same menu.

Its also true about the Indonesians, the most surprising about Indonesians in Australia is how few of them live here. At just over 70,000 they form the 10th largest Asian immigrant group, just behind Iraq. Given the countries size and closeness to Australia you would think there would be way more.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-19-2020 at 07:35 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 07:44 PM

20 posts, read 10,995 times
I should have mentioned that a certain level of subjectivity is to be expected with a measure of quality and authenticity, and danielsa1775 is right - the diversity of people from Asia in Sydney means that Asian food - especially Chinese can be found throughout all of the city with great variety. However, I would say that Los Angeles has better Japanese and Korean food, owing to the large amount of immigrants from those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World