Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 05:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
NYC Chinatown is impressive. It feels like its the only Chinatown in Northamerica that is actually growing not dieing out.
Richmond BC, is a modern Chinatown and it's growing. Asian malls upon Asian malls, over 800 Asian restaurants etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Most of the old Chinatowns in Australia are now more like upmarket hipster hubs than anything else.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:58 PM

20 posts, read 11,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Toronto, NYC, Montreal, Mexicali, Lima, Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, London, Paris, Port-Of-Spain (Trinidad), Georgetown (Guayana), Durban (SA), Zanzibar(?), Sydney, Melbourne....
Wow... there's a lot to unpack here. I agree with Vancouver, San Francisco, LA, Toronto, NYC, Sydney, London and Sao Paulo (mostly for Japanese and Arab food) for general variety and "quality" in Asian food. Melbourne and Montreal are the same as these cities but on a smaller scale. Amsterdam is good for Indonesian food owing to the large number of immigrants from there, but not much else. Paris does have good Vietnamese food because of colonial ties (and therefore immigrants) and the Chinese food scene is rising. I can understand Durban and Georgetown because of numbers of Indian immigrants, but local varieties of such foods still prevail. I can't speak for Mexicali and Lima, but Zanzibar was definitely an interesting choice.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:18 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
The best I had in the US overall were in LA and SF; my wife (Chinese) agreed. It's easy to find both Chinese-American and more authentic food as well.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:33 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
New York, San Fran, LA and Seattle I've found the best Chinese food.

London had the worst Chinese food when we went there two years ago around Christmas. That being said, they had excellent Indian food in London.

New Jersey has some excellent Korean food, probably because of the large Korean population in NJ.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:13 PM

330 posts, read 294,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Probably any of the China Towns in the New York City area.
Like Flushing/Brooklyn Chinatown/Manhattan Chinatown in NYC or San Gabriel Valley in LA?

Old 04-29-2020, 11:02 PM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't say Montreal is a standout Asian food city.
I had incredible good Japanese food in Montreal. But that is all I can remember. Overall I had much better food in Montreal than anywhere else in North America

Old 04-30-2020, 09:52 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
My travels outside of Asia and North America are fairly limited and Asian food is so important to my family, so I was very interested in following this thread. Seems to me like London, Sydney, Lima and Melbourne are fairly unanimous. Paris, Milan, Buenos Aires and Amsterdam might be good but I haven't spent enough time in those places to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't say Montreal is a standout Asian food city.
I don't know how it necessarily stacks up among the "best in the world" but it definitely is good. Never been disappointed and Asian food is a significant factor when we travel. Specifically recall great Japanese and Xiao long bao.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:46 AM

68 posts, read 40,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
Like Flushing/Brooklyn Chinatown/Manhattan Chinatown in NYC or San Gabriel Valley in LA?
Brooklyn Chinatown is mostly food from Fuzhou. Seems like Flushing Chinatown has more variety

Old 04-30-2020, 02:02 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Probably Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World