Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 10:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Sydney, so I suspect I will need to leave it out of my ranking or only call out what I feel to be somewhat obvious. Toronto is fine, it just not belong in a comparison with NYC or London.

Architecture: London
People/Diversity: NYC, Toronto/London
Food: NYC
Nightlife: NYC but the pub culture in London is the best in the world
Quality of living: Probably Sydney
Economy: NYC / London
Politics: London
Sports: NYC
High Culture: London
Museums: London/NYC tie
Climate: Sydney
Education: NYC/London tie
Entertainment: London, NYC close second
Infrastructure London/NYC tie
Surroundings: London (Europe across the channel, beautiful GB to the north
Fashion: NYC/London
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 11:08 AM

497 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I've never been to Sydney, so I suspect I will need to leave it out of my ranking or only call out what I feel to be somewhat obvious. Toronto is fine, it just not belong in a comparison with NYC or London.

Architecture: London
People/Diversity: NYC, Toronto/London
Food: NYC
Nightlife: NYC but the pub culture in London is the best in the world
Quality of living: Probably Sydney
Economy: NYC / London
Politics: London
Sports: NYC
High Culture: London
Museums: London/NYC tie
Climate: Sydney
Education: NYC/London tie
Entertainment: London, NYC close second
Infrastructure London/NYC tie
Surroundings: London (Europe across the channel, beautiful GB to the north
Fashion: NYC/London
You should definitely check out Sydney It's gorgeous -- in fact breathtaking. and the food is soooo good. I absolutely didn't expect to like Sydney that much before I visited, and boy was I pleasantly surprised......I really didn't want to leave by the end of my trip...

Old 08-16-2021, 10:48 AM

90 posts, read 67,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
You should definitely check out Sydney It's gorgeous -- in fact breathtaking. and the food is soooo good. I absolutely didn't expect to like Sydney that much before I visited, and boy was I pleasantly surprised......I really didn't want to leave by the end of my trip...
It’s a great city. If it wasn’t too far from the rest of the world, it would be one of the most visited cities. It has everything to be happy with: great food, clean, safe, modern, great weather most of the year, amazing nature, beaches, it’s progressive with a large gay and hipster community. Very multicultural for its size. Good public transport with trains, ferries and buses running 24 hours. Great landmarks for a very young and not large city; Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Bondi Beach, Taronga Zoo, Hyde Park. Damn, I miss Sydney :’)

Old 08-17-2021, 03:29 AM

497 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
It’s a great city. If it wasn’t too far from the rest of the world, it would be one of the most visited cities. It has everything to be happy with: great food, clean, safe, modern, great weather most of the year, amazing nature, beaches, it’s progressive with a large gay and hipster community. Very multicultural for its size. Good public transport with trains, ferries and buses running 24 hours. Great landmarks for a very young and not large city; Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Bondi Beach, Taronga Zoo, Hyde Park. Damn, I miss Sydney :’)
totally agree! i miss sydney so much! Australia in general is just amazing! I miss Melbourne too!

Old 08-22-2021, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 403 times
I like all these cities, but the only people who think of Toronto and Sydney as comparable to alpha cities like London and NY are Australians and Canadians. The metro areas of Sydney and Toronto are less than a third the size. New York's economy is the size of 5 Sydney economies.

As livable cities,
- if you are already rich I would choose Sydney.
- If you are still making money I would choose New York.
- If you like history and European culture I would choose London
- If you want a large city with proximity to the US without American social issues, I would choose Toronto.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:04 PM

54 posts, read 33,492 times
I’m not sure why people are voting London for architecture. NYC has far more impressive architecture. Most of London’s architecture is pretty diminutive and unimpressive. It also doesn’t contain that much tangible history compared to NYC

Old 03-06-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms architecture London with it's long history and UN World Heritage sites usually wins..
No, it doesn’t. Many mentally feeble City-Data users have no experience with architecture and just give London the win because they think it’s much structurally older.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Al View Post
I have lived for an extended period only in London out of the 4 but visited or lived a couple of months he other Three.

I will keep it short.

My first choice I see London. Beautiful architecture, nightlife, job opportunities, food etc. Plus very close to amazing European capitals plus English countryside. Diversity of people is amazing. I dated 7-8 nationalities in 2 years I spent there. Weather is pretty mild and while not med is actually one of its stronger points. Really uncomfortable summers last just 15 days in comparison to NYC or Toronto where it lasts 2 months. I honestly believe Londons gloomy weather reputation is a hangover from classic English literature borrowed from Dickens etc. So much so even native Londoners have started to peddle and perhaps believe in it. When I first came there I was warned of the gloomy days ahead. I waited 2 years and was ppleasantly Surprised. Off topic that's true of Vancouver to a lesser extent. While it's winter Months are indeed gloomy, the glorious summer months make up for it.

NYC second. NYC and London are a class apart at the world stage and NYC is a slightly more important city. But it has very hot and humid summers and winters are more brutal than a London. Suburbs are dirtier and crime is actually a factor. I felt unsafe walking around some NYC streets in dark and I am a pretty well built guy. Never felt slightest unease in London anywhere anytime.

Toronto third. I found Sydney and Toronto pretty comparable and similar. And it comes to personal taste. I don't like Aussie accent all too much for some reason plus it's pretty isolated.
It’s suburbs are not dirtier, it’s suburbs are wealthier and nicer. Wtf? You people only know anti-Americanism. It’s just absurd.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are over 300 languages spoken in London and Britain has been subject to invasion and immigration for over 2,000 years. The city even comes from the Roman name Londinium.

New York has a similar number of Michelin stars to London, and London has a long culinary history and very old restaurants.

London was the mother city of an Empire and different areas have an association with different communities and there culture and food, as is the case in NYC.

An Eater’s Guide to London - Eater

Brixton is home to Jamaican and Afro Caribbean communities and there food.

Green Lanes and Palmers Green are home to a lot of Turkish, Greek and Mediterranean food.

Camden is home to a Latin American Community and Restaurants.

Edgeware Road is sometimes known as Little Beirut.

Peckham is often known as Little Lagos and has a lot of African inspired food.

Brick Lane - is home to a Bangladeshi community and has a lot of very good curry houses.

West Acton is known as Little Tokyo.

New Malden - is home to a Korean Community

Southall is known as Little India

Stamford Hill is Jewish

Earls Court has links to Australia, although the community has spread out due to increasing house prices.

South Kensington is known for it's French Community and Schools.

Richmond Upon Thames, is home to a German community and German School, as well as a American Liberal Arts University.

Grosvenor Square - was known as Little America due to the US Embassy and it's major US Command Centre there during WW2 and during the Cold War. However the US Embassy has now moved to Nine Elms, and the US community in London is now more spread out.

Chinatown - the UK has a number of very historic Chinatowns, and London's China town has a mix of Hong Kong and mainland China, as well as other restaurants from the region.

Soho - has always had a strong Italian community, and still has a number of Italian businesses such as Bar Italia. The Italians from Southern Italy also set up a community in Saffron Hill and Clerkenwell, which is not far from Hatton Garden and the Diamond and Jewellery trade. The beautiful St Peter's Italian Church in Clerkenwell still welcomes members of the Italian community to this day.

Kilburn was even nicknamed 'County Kilburn' dur to it's large Irish Community however urban gentrification and higher housing costs, have meant London's working-class Irish-Catholic community have moved further out from Kilburn to Cricklewood.

The Camden Town area of London, as well as Shepherds Bush, were also known for their large Irish communities. The Irish Cultural Centre is located in Hammersmith, West London.

Greenford in the London Borough of Ealing is home to a large Irish community and contains Tir Chonaill Park, home to the Tír Chonaill Gaels Gaelic Football club.

Once again Irene - London is a major fashion capital and is also one of the best places to study art and fashion.

I don't think you have even been to Europe, although don't let that stop you from calling the street style goofy or sloppy.

Don't forget to attack the American tourists Irene - nothing like stereotyping people.

London has extremely grand historic architecture, often built at the height of Empire.

Although London also has areas such as the 'City' and 'Canary Wharf' Financial areas that have skyscrapers.

Paris also has a lot of grand old buildings, and the architecture of London, Paris and NYC is impressive.
The beaux arts architecture in the upper east and west sides is more impressive and grand, especially as a collective unit, than any historic area of architectural significance in London. NYC’s SoHo is more architecturally distinct and ornate than anywhere in London.

London is a fine city for history - but people voting London for architecture on this thread are just unthinkingly giving it the nod because they thing it’s old and that’s the way it should be. I’m trying to think of any neighborhood in NYC that has a rough London equivalent (LES/East Village vs Tower Hamlets/Shoreditch, Covent Garden/Soho vs Flatiron/Gramercy Park/Chelsea/West Village, City of London vs FiDi/Civic Center, Clerkenwell/Farringdon vs NoLita/TriBeCa, Hackney vs Williamsburg, Notting Hill vs Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Brooklyn Heights - all of the NYC neighborhoods either match or exceed their London equivalents for architectural beauty, scale, innovation…

Old 03-06-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This is New York boosting and this is why people get annoyed with people from NYC. You people act like its the end all say all?? if it was, it would be crushng this poll, it is just barely leading in a thread dominated by Americans.]

European Flair is absolutely 100% a thing. And if you want to take cheap shots at European Cities, i guess you can say they don't stack their streets with trash bags, crackheads, homeless people and $15 an hour jobs for those who play $2500 a month in the Bronx or Wlliamsburg? Quit the boosting. You are frustrating me as someone who genuinely enjoys NYC.

Sydney
London
New York = Toronto
Paris is stocked full of trash bags, drug addicts, and homeless people, and most European countries have a higher population of homeless people per capita.

NYC crushes the poll and every other poll on here. I think if it were a thread not dominated by Americans, it would perform even better, due to a lack of “grass is greener” (people invoking the typically insane American self-hatred and hatred of our own cities, in particular, are emblematic of this) - there would be less people mindlessly voting London up for architecture and culture because “Shakespeare”, thinking British accents sound intelligent, and “history!” that they erroneously prioritize over their own, even when it doesn’t amount to that much more.

You sound incredibly bitter and jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World