Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 AM

60 posts, read 40,771 times

Advertisements

For all their smiley face-to-face friendliness, me and my call enter coworkers think US and some Canadian clients are the worst. I don't know if some states are worse than others but I've mostly got brutes and Karens from Toronto, Montreal; San Diego CA, Kentucky, Pensylvania, Wisconsin, Vermont, Michigan, etc. Texans are usually nice, Alabama & Minnesota are so-so, but mostly laid back. Latinos & Latinas are usually nice. Black Americans are either nice or angry but somehow White-sounding customers can be the angriest and nastiest as they usually resort to passive agressive remarks and somehow these hurt way more than a person outright swearing & using F words (usually at the company anyway).

Many seem always impatient and there are many rude ones. That said, Indians are also quite impatient and pushy (wtf with always asking "Hello, hello, are you there?" when you don't speak for a second & not saying Goodbye?). Surprisingly, Europeans act nicer than Americans and are very polite on the phone, even Germans. I only had bad experiences with Czechs on the phone.

We're inbound, meaning customers call us to make reservations. What is your experience? Is the "customer is always right" mentality causing them to act like service workers are to be belittled and abused? Or is it more about them being overworked and having little to no vacations. Or maybe both? And what about Indians, why do they skip the "Goodbye" and constantly want to hear your voice every second?

This experience, along with some obnoxious tourists & expats in Prague has finally put me out of my US fandom. Used to dream about living in America; even applied to Green Card lottery every year. I now wouldn't even visit the US or Canada for a vaction. Even if it's not entitlement & rather being stressed due to work, I wouldn't like living where people go mental due to long work hours and is basically a work camp (my company is US-owned & we're in Eastern Europe which is bad enough for workers already, but at least local management is more relaxed and we get 20 days of paid vacation plus many more unpaid. Getting a sick leave here's also easier). It will also be my last call center job, or at least one servicing North Americans.

What are your opinions on phone rudenes, do you notice any nations being better/worse than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 08:47 AM

780 posts, read 589,812 times
Sounds like you are an Sutherland (sometimes referred to as Sufferland) employee?

Old 05-03-2020, 12:32 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,430,894 times
Bulgarians.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:23 PM

23,291 posts, read 23,662,705 times
Hong Kongers speaking English. In person, they are hurried (as HK is a fast paced “hustle bustle” city) but not deliberately rude, but they sound rude on the phone.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:48 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
On the phone? Seriously? Who still uses the phone? Welcome to the 21st century and the internet, instant messaging, online tools, online reservations, etc.

I guess call centers yeah. So that would be Indians, and for them my only dealings are with scammers when they call me. They sure do get mean and angry when they call I start messing with them just to waste there time, if I take there call at all.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:16 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,307,806 times
I hate to say but Indians are the rudest people on the phone. Not just the scammers but people I deal with because of work on the phone.

Also stopped taking calls from the 305/786. Rudest telemarketers (people in general) on the planet. My wife used to use a Latin American long distance calling service based out of this area. Our number must have been on some list cause we kept getting calls and offers from companies based out of this area.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:21 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,966,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Bulgarians.

???. At the very least 99% of bulgaria does't use the "French goodbye" better called "russian lack of basic manners" when people say bye when leaving/closing the phone. I've only seen this in American movies, but it's not a thing in eastern europe for sure.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ench%20Goodbye

Old 06-18-2020, 11:24 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,966,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
On the phone? Seriously? Who still uses the phone? Welcome to the 21st century and the internet, instant messaging, online tools, online reservations, etc.

I guess call centers yeah. So that would be Indians, and for them my only dealings are with scammers when they call me. They sure do get mean and angry when they call I start messing with them just to waste there time, if I take there call at all.

OP probably means viber/whatsapp including, for as long as you're using something to talk to someone from distance (smartwatches too?).

Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM

61,148 posts, read 85,956,304 times
As long they are knowledgeable and on point helping me resolve something, I don't care for all those PC pleasantries. Small talk is not my thing.
I never encounter rude people on the phone.
The PC and customer service pleasantries vary from country to country. In many places typical US "smile and kiss the customer behind" is not practiced. It doesn't mean that they are rude, just practical and efficient with their words.

I don't think that Indians are rude, they just have sometimes hard to understand accent, that might be frustrating for some customers. When they don't completely understand what is said, they get angry and the conversation is turning sour.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:52 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I hate to say but Indians are the rudest people on the phone. Not just the scammers but people I deal with because of work on the phone.

Also stopped taking calls from the 305/786. Rudest telemarketers (people in general) on the planet. My wife used to use a Latin American long distance calling service based out of this area. Our number must have been on some list cause we kept getting calls and offers from companies based out of this area.
Yeah I deal with Indians, working for an international company we have some outsource operations out there and I travel to India once a year or so.
They are by nature it seems confrontational (and this goes beyond the circular headshake they do in person when you never know if they are agreeing or disagreeing with you). We had one Indian manager, the outsource facility manager actually, that would argue with everything we proposed. Bad idea, as he was arguing with what was essentially his customer. We asked the corporation that owned that facility to get rid of him and replace him with another. He's gone. He's probably driving a tuk tuk in Delhi now and arguing with his passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World