Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 AM

42 posts, read 17,077 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ZwY3gxZkI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 10:36 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Regionally, it looks like it's the tropics of the Americas and Southern Africa that are continuously the roughest with a long rough patch for parts of the ex-Soviet Union up until the last decade.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:55 AM

274 posts, read 174,003 times
It's crazy how a country with an insane crime rate like Brazil, or Venezuela is close to extremely safe countries like Chile and Argentina. Shows how ****ty the government can be in some places.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:08 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I feel like there are a number of factors that contribute. However, I feel it's hard to gauge certain countries (Syria, Afghanistan, and many central/eastern African nations in particular. I have a sense there's might in actuality be off the charts even compared to the high end here.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I feel like there are a number of factors that contribute. However, I feel it's hard to gauge certain countries (Syria, Afghanistan, and many central/eastern African nations in particular. I have a sense there's might in actuality be off the charts even compared to the high end here.
Well, you listed some warzones which probably won't be counted. Iraq and Syria would be chart-toppers if that weren't the case. Most middle eastern countries actually have very low homicide rates.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:19 AM

881 posts, read 923,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
It's crazy how a country with an insane crime rate like Brazil, or Venezuela is close to extremely safe countries like Chile and Argentina. Shows how ****ty the government can be in some places.

the OP's video is about homicide rate only. Chile and, especially, Argentina, actually have very high crime rates, for other crimes like robbery, theft, burglary etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I agree that they are no oasis, and have real problems of their own, like any country. But I'd rather have those crimes any day than straight up horrific homicide rates that countries like Belize, Honduras, Brazil, Venezuela have. The safety difference between Bueno Aires and Rio is quite striking to say the least.

Rio de Janiero homicides 3995 with a homicide rate of 39 deaths per 100,000
Bueno Aires homicides 137 with a homicide rate of 4.7 per 100,000

Not saying that Chile and Argentina have no crime, but the crime in other South American countries are equivalent to literal warzones, while Chile is comparable to Canada with homicide rate, and Argentina is comparable to America with homicide rate

Of course for petty crime though, Argentina and Chile top anywhere in North America, although America has 3 times the rape that Argentina has, and more assaults/ murder with gun rate too.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...d-States/Crime

Old 05-19-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
the OP's video is about homicide rate only. Chile and, especially, Argentina, actually have very high crime rates, for other crimes like robbery, theft, burglary etc.
I'm going to make a wild suggestion that Brazil and Venezuela might also not do too well when it comes to robbery, theft, burglary etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:40 PM

881 posts, read 923,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm going to make a wild suggestion that Brazil and Venezuela might also not do too well when it comes to robbery, theft, burglary etc.

not much worse than Argentina or Chile.

From the Latinobarómetro poll 2018. "Have you of your family been a victim of a crime?", "how often do you fear of being assaulted?":

Crime victimization rate from Latinobarómetro 2017. "Victimization" meaning the % of people who answered "yes" to the question "have you been victim of a crime in the past year"?:

Old 05-19-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
not much worse than Argentina or Chile.

From the Latinobarómetro poll 2018. "Have you of your family been a victim of a crime?", "how often do you fear of being assaulted?":

Crime victimization rate from Latinobarómetro 2017. "Victimization" meaning the % of people who answered "yes" to the question "have you been victim of a crime in the past year"?:

I feel like the type of crime weighs heavily into what Country is perceived as safer.

Poverty is very real in Argentina and even Chile, which will inevitable bring a bit of crime, but the difference is that drug cartels will take over entire neighborhoods or sections of a city in Mexico, and in Brazil more competitive, smaller gangs will fight to take over a favela. Compared to Argentina and Chile which have issues, but more similar to their North American counterparts.

I believe a lot of the reason for the bigger violence is due to how corrupt some of the governments, especially in Brazil and Mexico are, the police are bought out, the schools are underfunded, the police will only come to slums and Favelas for raids.

The corruption factor and the isolation from a lot of social services makes these shantytowns/favelas hotbeds for criminal organizations, Rio is pretty much at war in some sides of town, so is Tijuana (most dangerous city in the world).

Honestly I'd rather live in Bueno Aires any day, it's homicide rate and most crime rate is similar to Winnipeg, Canada. That's much more bearable then Mexico and Brazil which have enough homicides for it to be considered a war, not to mention there are about 80,000 people reported missing in Brazil, 40,000 in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World