Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 08:58 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Shows we don’t have low standards.. that’s what!
Au contraire, it shows that you have low standards and I’m saying that as someone who despises Hillary . Both candidates were pretty bad. I can understand the underlying sentiment behind picking Trump, but he’s hardly better. If there’s a positive, to his election victory, is that it showcases that Americans have grown tired of the established elite running the show. If that ends up paving the way, for better candidates and greater party representation in the future, then I’d say that his presidency was worth it. In a way, you could say that I like the symbolic nature behind Trump, rather than the actual presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 03:08 AM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by providence623 View Post
Why does euro and mr. Jester think that diversity resumes to people having different skin colors?
I can’t think of a country that is racially diverse that doesn’t also exhibit some form of racially based inequality or social conflict.

It doesn’t help to sugarcoat reality.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Mr. Jester is naive or perhaps ignorant enough to believe that homogeneous means organized.

I can cite at least five pretty homogeneous countries that are poor in a matter of ten seconds.

Bangladesh
Moldova
Mongolia
South sudan
Albania

Here in America some of the most homogeneous states are amongst the poorest

I can also vote five diverse countries that are very rich in 10 seconds

Canada
France
Uk
Spain
Singapore

America's richest states are the most diverse.

Diversity is not synonymous with poor, if it were so the usa would have never been a world empire. Qq
The US isn't and never has been part of an 'Empire', I don't think you know what an 'Empire' is.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:09 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
^ They obviously were, from your country's history:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ish_Empire.png

And California was even called "New Spain".

As to if they're empire today: no. Despite the nukes and the huge military budget at least 10 other countries have nukes, some like Israel and North Korea don't even publicly admit it and no country acknowledges the US president as their supreme commander, meanwhile look at Canada, Australia and the Queen of the UK.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
You're speaking to the wrong person here.

I have a masters in biology, and I currently collaborate with sociological research...

Well you're the one who is dividing people on "white" vs "black" meanwhile you try to project this to others. But maybe I shouldn't complain, it's an American forum after all so if the topics are all about baseball, pickup trucks, school shootings and racism it will make perfect sense.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:25 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
Quote:

All you have to do is grab a history book to see how the perception of who is white has changed throughout the 20th century in this country.

By the way, Switzerland is VERY DIVERSE, 35% of the people in Switzerland aren't even from Switzerland but from pretty much every corner of this planet. Guess what. It is VERY EQUAL.

I speak facts, not "I think it must be this way so I'll say it"
Your "facts" are wrong.

Switzerland is not very diverse by the standards most would consider that word. Most of their foreign born residents are fellow Europeans. And for some reason you have overstated the % of foreign residents by almost a third. It is only 26% - not particularly noteworthy by world standards.

https://www.oecd.org/migration/integ...,218348,en.htm

Oh and the Swiss federal Commission Agains Racism disagrees with your opinion of VERY EQUAL. Well, it is, unless you are black:

"There are estimated to be approximately 100,000 black people currently living in Switzerland. Switzerland has a unique opportunity to learn from the mistakes of the US, with its toxic racial history, and from its European neighbors, many of which have failed to successfully integrate significant African and Arab immigrant populations and failed to educate the native-born population about tolerance and acceptance. The Swiss government is taking steps to understand the issue of racism in Switzerland, which is a first step in addressing it. A study by the Swiss Federal Commission Against Racismexternal link found that black people in Switzerland do not have equal access to public services, housing, employment or the protection of the judicial system and are often subject to racial profiling by authorities. Despite these findings, in a 2017 survey, 51% of Swiss viewed racism towards blacks as a minor problem."

Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Unfortunately we have a president who ignores the rule of law. The liar in Chief thinks he isn’t responsible or accountable for anything. Get rid of the Liar and maybe we’ll have a chance. This country is turning into a banana republic thanks to these Banana Republicans who have to cheat to win. ( My Opinion)

Old 05-31-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Too lazy to elaborate now but as I've posted a couple of times over the years America's greatest time of world impact was the 90s during the times of Bill Clinton, winning the cold war, when the euro/yuan/bitcoin didn't even exist and everyone was using dollars and 90% of the media consumption was American media.

These days it's a fraction of this not to mention how "seriously" the US president is taken + covid and the racial issues.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 AM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
A black french is more akin to any white French than a white French is akin to a white Texan man.

Sometime is good to get out of this parameters of skin color that dictate the American influenced English speaking world, and make an effort to understand that other cultures including European cultures see the world differently.
France doesn’t officially recognize racial classifications, I understand. Yet, France has racial inequality and riots.

Go figure.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ They obviously were, from your country's history:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ish_Empire.png

And California was even called "New Spain".

As to if they're empire today: no. Despite the nukes and the huge military budget at least 10 other countries have nukes, some like Israel and North Korea don't even publicly admit it and no country acknowledges the US president as their supreme commander, meanwhile look at Canada, Australia and the Queen of the UK.
That's the British Empire not the American Empire. Empires were a product of their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World