Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
No it's not, London is a global city, and will continue to expand and trade Irene.
She really can't act at all lmao

Old 06-03-2020, 10:18 AM

214 posts, read 238,480 times
Singapore and Hong Kong are not big From city area Shanghai Beijing Guangzhou Shenzhen Chongqing is bigger than London Shanghai 24.2814 million Beijing 21.536 million Chongqing 31.2432 million Guangzhou 15.359 million Shenzhen 13.4388 million London 8.9 million Hong Kong 7.4825 million Singapore 5.64 million Shanghai subway 705km (Number one in the world ) No2 Beijing subway 699km NO3Guangzhou subway 535km No4 Seoul 505km NO 5 London 436KM NO6 New York 424km NO7 Moscow 397km NO8 Nanjing 378km No9 New Delhi 343KM NO10 Wuhan 340km .....

Old 06-03-2020, 10:34 AM

....To be honest I met some young Europeans I met a Spaniard He thinks Madrid is a big city I told him You travel to Xiamen(4.29 million people ) GDP No50 in Chian Nanchang (5.545 million)GDP NO45 In Chian I told him it was a medium-sized city in China He was very surprised because he came from the countryside

Old 06-03-2020, 11:39 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
....To be honest I met some young Europeans I met a Spaniard He thinks Madrid is a big city I told him You travel to Xiamen(4.29 million people ) GDP No50 in Chian Nanchang (5.545 million)GDP NO45 In Chian I told him it was a medium-sized city in China He was very surprised because he came from the countryside
Well, Europe as a whole has fewer people than China even in the most expansive definition of Europe--you'd think that would result in smaller cities for the most part, wouldn't you? The other thing is that Europe is made up of several countries and each country has its own center which means you have so fairly small capital and largest cities in population. The other, more minor point is that city and metropolitan area definition sizes can vary quite a bit from area to area. For example, Chongqing is technically called a city, and it does have a very large population, but it's covering 83k square km. Shanghai as a municipality covers 6k square km while London is generally considered to be 606 square km. Expand London out to Shanghai's boundaries and you get something more like 14 million people as part of its population.

The part about Shanghai being more prosperous though is generally false by just about any definition. I do love Shanghai though! The Jiangnan area should consider seceding from Beijing-led China.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:15 PM

330 posts, read 294,187 times
I don’t know about London as I have never visited there. But I have been to New York City, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, LA, San Francisco, Shanghai, Beijing....

Shanghai is definitely a growing city heading in the good direction. But at the current stage, it is a bit overrated by the Chinese(and even some westerners). It still has a long way to go to be at the level of NYC/Tokyo/Hong Kong.

I personally found Beijing to be a much more sophisticated and attractive city(one of the most sophisticated cities I have visited) even though it is much less appealing versus Shanghai appearance wise(like there is no Bund in Beijing that you can get a sharp contrasting view between Shanghai’s colonial architectures in the past and the modern skyscrapers in the Pudong CBD).

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 06-03-2020 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
I don’t know about London as I have never visited there. But I have been to New York City, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, LA, San Francisco, Shanghai, Beijing....

Personally, I think Shanghai is definitely a growing city heading in the good direction. But at the current stage, it is a bit overrated by the Chinese(and even some westerners). It still has a long way to go to be at the level of NYC/Tokyo/Hong Kong.

I personally found Beijing to be a much more sophisticated and attractive city(one of the most sophisticated cities I have visited) even though it is much less appealing versus Shanghai appearance wise(like there is no Bund in Beijing that you can get a sharp contrasting view between Shanghai’s colonial architectures in the past and the modern skyscrapers in the Pudong CBD).
When I went to China in 2009, i found Shanghai to be the much better city, but that may be a western bias coming into effect since Shanghai is far more western feeling than Beijing.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:00 PM

20 posts, read 10,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
..Maybe it's because European countries have changed so little I remember from 1970 to 2000 when Chinese went to western countries They think the west is good But now it looks older and smaller Shenzhen is a small fishing village But in 2020 shenzhen is bigger and more prosperous than Hong Kong Hong Kong 7.5 million people shenzhen 13.4388 million people In fact, shenzhen is more modern and high-tech than Shanghai In Shanghai you will see old Chinese architecture and old western architecture
Well, Shanghai has its share of modern architecture too. It's simply managed to preserve its historical parts better - this alone doesn't mean it's any less high tech.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:22 PM

330 posts, read 294,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
When I went to China in 2009, i found Shanghai to be the much better city, but that may be a western bias coming into effect since Shanghai is far more western feeling than Beijing.
Shanghai has a much more western feeling and personality than any other city in China except for Hong Kong. Whereas, Beijing can be easily misunderstood from westerner’s point of view.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:13 PM

The subway in New York is old Except Manhattan Except Manhattan Other places don't look very modern There is not even high-speed rail in the United States In southern China Hong Kong is close to Shenzhen Shenzhen is near Dongguan Dongguan is close to Guangzhou Dongguan 8.4645 million people Shanghai has a highly developed economy and Shanghai is the largest port in China. Shanghai is close to Hangzhou and Suzhou Hangzhou (10.36 million people )
Suzhou 10.7499 million Suzhou is close to Nanjing Nanjing 8.5 million people Hangzhou is near Ningbo 8.542 million people In 2019, Zhoushan port of Ningbo completed a cargo throughput of 1119 million tons, ranking first in the world for 11 consecutive years; completed a container throughput of over 27.53 million TEUs

Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 PM

In South China There are three business groups They are Cantonese, Zhejiang, Fujian and Taiwanese Fujian and Taiwan are a chamber of Commerce Because most of Taiwan comes from Fujian In Southeast Asia, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia The richest people are from Guangdong and Fujian They control 80% economy in Southeast Asian countries Most of Singapore is also from Fujian and Guangdong Cantonese is the main language of Hong Kong and Guangdong Fujian and Taiwanese speak Minnan In Zhejiang Province, South China Alibaba's headquarters in Hangzhou Yiwu is the largest small commodity distribution center in the world In Wenzhou, Zhejiang If you come from France, Italy, Spain Should know Wenzhou people In 1980 Many Wenzhou people smuggled to Europe Train from China through the Soviet Union Come to Italy Wenzhou people started to work illegally Experience European discrimination They're in Italy Italians work 8 hours Wenzhou people work 16 hours Then Wenzhou people go to Paris They beat Jews and Arabs in Paris Why do many Europeans dislike Wenzhou people Wenzhou was a very poor place in 1980 So many people in Wenzhou smuggled to Europe in order to get more life So in 2020 10 Wenzhou people, 9 bosses One of them is preparing to start a business Of course, it's just an exaggeration But many Wenzhou are bosses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World