Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think America is the greatest country in the world?
Yes 38 38.00%
No 62 62.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 11:26 PM

570 posts, read 517,624 times

Advertisements

Sure! It’s so perfect!!! The greatest of the greatest!!! No riots, no pandemic, no guns violence, free healthcare , accesible higher education for everyone, no natural disasters. Everyone is treated equal!! I’m so jealous I wasn’t born there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 11:41 PM

37,358 posts, read 39,784,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, there are people on this forum who keep arguing that smaller living spaces, smaller cars and more public transportation make other countries superior to the United States.

So, what do I know?
Lol, no one argued that those are causes for a country to be "superior" and that being your takeaway makes it pretty evident that you don't know much.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:36 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,056,968 times
Absolutely no. Given the poll results though and sentiment leads me incline to leave this forum though lol, if people believe it elsewhere idk.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,532,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Absolutely no. Given the poll results though and sentiment leads me incline to leave this forum though lol, if people believe it elsewhere idk.
Read my original reply if you want further insight.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:07 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,056,968 times
I read it, Musk's sentiment is the usual "freedom" and "democracy" kind of bs, I don't need a worshiped authority like him to tell me that, I can just go to stormfront and read the same. And this is pure whataboutism - it's completely unknown what would've happened if America was on the losing sides of ww1 and ww2, the only known is that democracy had existed long before that for as long as ancient Greece and onwards - the world wasn't always "ruskies and nazies and americans saving your ass from ruskies and nazis".

Old 06-30-2020, 02:44 AM

9,048 posts, read 3,547,694 times
Top 5 for sure.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:28 AM

27,545 posts, read 13,764,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Absolutely. The United States is the greatest nation on Earth. What it is not, however, is the best country in the world. There's a big difference between the two.

Even Elon Musk says so:

Quote:
Musk has described the United States as "[inarguably] the greatest country that has ever existed on Earth," describing it as "the greatest force for good of any country that's ever been." Musk believes democracy would not exist any longer if not for the United States, saying that it prevented this disappearance on three occasions through its participation in World War I, World War II and the Cold War. Musk also stated that he thinks "it would be a mistake to say the United States is perfect, it certainly is not. There have been many foolish things the United States has done and bad things the United States has done
Not sure that I entirely agree with the US somehow single handedly saving the day, in terms of WW1 the Germans had enough, as did everyone else. In terms of WW2, the efforts by countries such as British Commonwealth forces and the vast battles fought on the Russia front should not be forgotten.

Whilst in terms of the Cold War, it was nuclear weapons that kept the peace, and some historians have pointed out that Russia never had any ambitions beyond protecting it's borders, and that the US was often guilty of fuelling the cold war.

As for the US it is a great country, as well as having some great natural geographical features,the sheer size of the US is also awe inspiring, and the country has produced some of the great figures of the last century, and has helped revolutionise entertainment in a rather dull bombed out post WW2 world.

As for the best, no one country is the best at everything and every country has it's faults, indeed it's an ability of a nation to admit it's faults that helps make it great.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:36 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,334,162 times
It's better than many countries, but saying a country is "the best" means next to nothing.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 AM

14,835 posts, read 12,118,923 times
There are certainly worse places in this world to live but it's certainly not the best! I reckon New Zealand is hard to beat for a place to live, perhaps the Nordic countries run it close. Some people seem to think the US is 'the best' just because it's a massive country? I can't see what that has to do with it really? Because of its size the US is 'rich' in nature though for sure, there is some incredible scenery! Personally there are plenty of places I'd rather live in than the US and plenty of places I would rather not live in than the US.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:52 AM

27,545 posts, read 13,764,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It's better than many countries, but saying a country is "the best" means next to nothing.

It was always about German superiority with the Nazi's or the motherland with the Soviets.

In the end such arrogance just leads to either war or preventable disasters such as Chernobyl based on the fact that Soviet technology was unquestionable superior and outside help was never required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World