U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2020, 05:34 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 587,827 times
Reputation: 303

Advertisements

A vaccine may never be developed, so which countries will be worst off when the world reopens?


-The countries that were the worst affected during the first wave: Italy, Spain, Brazil, U.S., India, etc.

-Or the countries that reacted quickly and had a low amount of Covid cases: Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, New Zealand, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM
 
5,186 posts, read 2,659,989 times
Reputation: 4523
That's hard to tell because things can always take a turn for the worse in any place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM
 
12,840 posts, read 8,853,141 times
Reputation: 34093
I think the island countries will be the worst off, because they will remain afraid to let anyone on or off the island for fear of introducing new cases. They will want to stay isolated. Countries that haven't had the luxury of easily closing their borders will be more prepared to roll with the punches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 587,827 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the island countries will be the worst off, because they will remain afraid to let anyone on or off the island for fear of introducing new cases. They will want to stay isolated. Countries that haven't had the luxury of easily closing their borders will be more prepared to roll with the punches.

Yeah and those countries rely most on tourism, so they cannot stayed closed for much longer. Thailand too, even though it's not really an island country. They've handled it very well so far, but I'm wondering if they'll end up worse off if there's no vaccine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Prince William County of the Crown Commonwealth of Virginia
2,595 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Reputation: 3899
Smaller (by population) countries and those who rely on cross-border trade will be worst off. Tourism economies as well.

Countries like Brazil, China, Russia and the USA, ironically enough, will be better off since they have massive internal economies - so keeping closed borders doesn't cause as much economic stress. The long-term damage to the economy will be the real fear if a vaccine isn't developed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Tricity
52,149 posts, read 73,724,632 times
Reputation: 116909
Poor countries aka Third World.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 11:16 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 587,827 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Poor countries aka Third World.

What about poor countries that have already been ravaged by Covid? If there's immunity, they'll actually be better off than countries that weren't as affected by Covid. If a vaccine isn't developed, then all countries are bound to experience a wave of Covid sooner or later, so I think the countries that have already experienced it will be better off in the end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 12:27 AM
 
4,912 posts, read 3,139,738 times
Reputation: 3164
The west, just look at the very last developments there...with the protests in America the cases increased from 30k to close to 50k, in western europe being even worse - consider the case of the migrant eating cats, they're getting closer to the Black Death, forget covid. Basically the whole thing is just reflection of politics: the virus started in europe since a small ski resort in Austria knew that group of tourists had it but nevertheless took zero measures when it wasn't a big thing...so for as long as the west likes $ from china it will get worse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
1,140 posts, read 728,723 times
Reputation: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
A vaccine may never be developed, so which countries will be worst off when the world reopens?


-The countries that were the worst affected during the first wave: Italy, Spain, Brazil, U.S., India, etc.

-Or the countries that reacted quickly and had a low amount of Covid cases: Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, New Zealand, etc.
Well they are already looking at developing travel bubbles between countries with things under control. A bubble between Australia and New Zealand will greatly help both countries. But the federal Australian govt will not open the international borders until the state borders are all open. That has been held up by the surge in cases in Melbourne.

I do not think that the world will “open up”, rather it will be a gradual process. Perhaps the worst affected will have a bubble too.

I would expect that even if there is no vaccine there will be improvements in testing. We are having lots of testing here as the cold virus is raging, being mid winter here. Fortunately the flu is way way down but I know several people who have had tests because of having a cold. It is very quick compared to three months ago and the results are coming back next morning.

But how do you measure worse off?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 10:55 AM
 
1,091 posts, read 587,827 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Well they are already looking at developing travel bubbles between countries with things under control. A bubble between Australia and New Zealand will greatly help both countries. But the federal Australian govt will not open the international borders until the state borders are all open. That has been held up by the surge in cases in Melbourne.

I do not think that the world will “open up”, rather it will be a gradual process. Perhaps the worst affected will have a bubble too.

I would expect that even if there is no vaccine there will be improvements in testing. We are having lots of testing here as the cold virus is raging, being mid winter here. Fortunately the flu is way way down but I know several people who have had tests because of having a cold. It is very quick compared to three months ago and the results are coming back next morning.

But how do you measure worse off?

Travel bubbles are great, but long-term, I don't think travel bubbles between just a few countries are sustainable. The world will go back to being entirely inter-connected. If there's no vaccine, all countries will experience a Covid outbreak sooner or later. I'm worried about the countries that have shielded themselves from the virus all this time. Since they haven't developed an immunity, Covid will likely affect them worse than countries that has already had extensive Covid outbreaks


But this is assuming 2 things:
That a vaccine is never developed
That most people develop immunity after surviving Covid
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top