Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 01:23 AM

79 posts, read 45,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
For sure, the city is mostly rowhouses and apartments then single family housing on the outskirts, or off-island suburbs. It just seemed to me that OP seemed to be judging Montreal's architecture from the more touristy and beautiful Old Port when the vast majority of the city looks entirely different. It's like Quebec City; an extremely pretty place in the "main" area but most of the city looks rather par for the course. I never found the rest of the city (Montreal or Quebec) to be particularly good looking or even bad looking as compared to most cities on the East Coast, personally, but I suppose that could just be me.
The city centers of those metros, for their size and letting that alone, have really significant architecture, and Old Montreal is good enough for me to rank the city at a 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 01:25 AM

79 posts, read 45,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You talking about St Pete, Florida? Or are you talking about this:

https://youtu.be/eMEH6LG9_iQ
I think I said that I lowballed St. Petersburg. It looks like it would be at least a 4 from that video. It was one of the few cities I threw in as researched rather than visited cities.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:10 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evetteever View Post
Um...or it could be people giving their opinion relating to what extent they think a particular city has quality architecture...

I rated London, Bath, and York above Milton Keynes, and I don't think it's necessarily a question of age alone - it can be mere uniqueness of culture/architectural vision and prowess, but also developmental intensity over a short period of time can yield interesting cultures and architectures.

I believe Milton Keynes was developed in the 60s. It would be just about 60 years old by now.
Yes but the problem is (just like with the 'which city has the most attractive women question) people don't actually know! Everybody 'thinks' they know but they always simply come out with nothing but in-acurate stereotypical stuff, something that is quite obvious to the locals. I think the UK is quite a 'well known' country in this world but I have to tell you most of what I read on here about the UK posted by 'Johnny foreigner' is wide of the mark in nearly every subject, everybody bases everything on (usually very poor stereotypes) I am sure I am just as bad with 'other' countries I don't live in. Brave New World lives in the UK, I believe he knows about the UK better than anybody who isn't from the UK (and visa versa of course), perhaps we should take note of what the 'locals' say in any country/city they actually reside in.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:00 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes but the problem is (just like with the 'which city has the most attractive women question) people don't actually know! Everybody 'thinks' they know but they always simply come out with nothing but in-acurate stereotypical stuff, something that is quite obvious to the locals. I think the UK is quite a 'well known' country in this world but I have to tell you most of what I read on here about the UK posted by 'Johnny foreigner' is wide of the mark in nearly every subject, everybody bases everything on (usually very poor stereotypes) I am sure I am just as bad with 'other' countries I don't live in. Brave New World lives in the UK, I believe he knows about the UK better than anybody who isn't from the UK (and visa versa of course), perhaps we should take note of what the 'locals' say in any country/city they actually reside in.
That’s true to a certain extent, but then the opposite problem creeps in. Citizens of a country can be blinded by nationalism. That’s where foreign input can be of value.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s true to a certain extent, but then the opposite problem creeps in. Citizens of a country can be blinded by nationalism. That’s where foreign input can be of value.
Ah yes also quite true! :-)

Old 08-26-2020, 01:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evetteever View Post
Very few cities in the US have "commieblocks" - only New York has extensive tower block housing.
I wouldn't consider NYC's projects extensive, as they occupy a relatively small footprint of the city's area.

Most of the city's poor and working class residents live in tenement buildings, many of which, if a bit rundown, are actually reasonably visually appealing (and many of which, well kept and in "better" neighborhoods, are actually the homes of wealthy people as well), and attached housing which I find to be dull, but not dystopian.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 211 times
yeah, this is exactly how it looks like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World