Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 01:17 PM

79 posts, read 46,031 times

Advertisements

I'm considering what global cities might be architectural destinations and which ones wouldn't - my personal opinion had a role to play, but I tried to keep it impersonal and general.

Feel free to rank other world cities on a scale of 1 - 5, and comment your opinions on individual cities.

In regards to my 1 - 5 scale, I'd take anything under a 3 to be a non-destination for architecture. A 1 city might not necessarily have poor-looking buildings, but it could be unremarkable in the context of the country it's in, for architecture. In other respects, a 1 city might be fairly ugly or rundown, offer no remarkable or notable structures, or might be built to be functional and convenient, rather than aesthetic. A 2 offers individual buildings and perhaps a street of moderate architectural significance, but won't have anything that stands out, or any consistency of quality. A 3 warrants a stop by. It has buildings of significance, and a couple streets, maybe one neighborhood of notable and aesthetic architecture. A 4 will be a destination. This is a city known for it's architecture in large part, and large stretches of the city are made up of the city's own, distinct vernacular architecture, or otherwise aesthetic structures. A 5 is a resplendent city. Highly consistent in it's architectural quality, this city is exceptional in representing the architectural prowess and/or uniqueness of it's country, or has impacted global architecture and urban planning in some way. The chief reason for visiting will be the architecture and aesthetics of the city. 5 cities often use the environment around them to beautiful effect. The entire city will have a consistent quality of architecture, with very few exceptions.

I labeled cities of the main anglosphere countries - a handful of the larger, notable cities of each country, with a few wildcards and notable towns to boot.

United Kingdom

London - 4

Birmingham - 1

Manchester - 3

Glasgow - 2

Sheffield - 1

Newcastle - 4

Southampton - 1

Bradford - 2

Swansea - 1

Edinburgh - 5

Bath - 5

Leeds - 2

Brighton - 2

Blackpool - 1

Bournemouth - 3

Poole - 1

Liverpool - 3

Nottingham - 2

York - 4

Leicester - 2

Derby - 2

Bristol - 3

Stoke - 1

Milton Keynes - 2 (Not amazing architecture, but unique in the UK for it's complete devotion to modernism, and it's layout)

Cardiff - 2

Belfast - 1

(London)Derry - 2

Newquay - 1

Norwich - 3

Canterbury - 5

Wolverhampton - 1

Rye - 4

Australia

Sydney- 2

Melbourne - 3

Brisbane - 1

Perth - 2

Adelaide - 3

Gold Coast - 2

Newcastle - 2

Canberra - 1

Hobart - 2

Darwin - 1

Alice Springs - 1

Cairns - 1

Broome - 1

Canada

Toronto - 1

Montreal - 4

Vancouver - 2

Calgary - 1

Edmonton - 1

Winnipeg - 2

Hamilton - 2

Ottawa - 3

Quebec City - 5

Victoria - 3

Niagara Falls - 1

Regina - 1

Halifax - 2

St. John - 5

Whistler - 2

United States

New York City - 5

Los Angeles - 2 (I was considering a 3, because it does have a wealth of impressive art deco and mid-century modern, but I thought that it was counteracted by some less architecturally inspired, commercial modernism. A strong 2.)

Chicago - 5

Houston - 1

Dallas - 1

Austin - 2

Philadelphia - 4

Pittsburgh - 4

Phoenix - 1

Scottsdale - 1

Tucson - 2

San Antonio - 3

Washington, D.C. - 4

Seattle - 2

Charleston - 5

Savannah - 4

Asheville - 3

San Francisco - 4

Las Vegas - 3

Miami - 3

Key West - 3

St. Augustine - 4

Boston - 4

New Orleans - 4

Baltimore - 3

Detroit - 3

Columbus - 2

Indianapolis - 1

Cleveland - 2

Cincinnati - 3

Nashville - 2

Atlanta - 1

St. Louis- 2

Kansas City - 2

Oklahoma City -1

Denver - 2

Portland - 1

Providence - 4

Annapolis - 4

Salt Lake City - 2

Honolulu - 3

San Diego - 3

Santa Fe - 5

Galena - 4

Hot Springs - 4

Vail - 4

Avalon (Santa Catalina Island) - 5

Milwaukee - 3

Last edited by Evetteever; 08-14-2020 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 04:04 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,668,799 times
There isn't any "St. John" in Canada. There are:
Saint John, New Brunswick, always spelled out
St. John's, Newfoundland, always abbreviated
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec

Old 08-15-2020, 04:44 AM

27,643 posts, read 13,838,977 times
In terms of the UK, Bournemouth, Poole, Newquay, Rye and Milton Keynes are towns and not cities.

Milton Keynes is however expanding and may seek city status.

As for the rankings I don't agree with some of them, however you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:49 AM

27,835 posts, read 28,964,111 times
Paris, London and Rome

Of the places I've been to, I consider those cities to have the best architecture in terms of beauty and breadth. Also, historical significance.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
There isn't any "St. John" in Canada. There are:
Saint John, New Brunswick, always spelled out
St. John's, Newfoundland, always abbreviated
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec
Jesus, nitpicky, are we? "St. John's, Newfoundland" then...

Old 08-15-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Paris, London and Rome

Of the places I've been to, I consider those cities to have the best architecture in terms of beauty and breadth. Also, historical significance.
I don't find London's architecture to be on par with the other two whatsoever.

London has some pretty buildings, but much of it is pretty unsurprising in regards to the rest of the UK, even. Still pretty architecture, not quite as resplendent and complete as the likes of Edinburgh or Bath, though. Paris is much more consistent in it's quality, as is Rome.

"Historical significance" doesn't always lead to impressive, aesthetic, or well constructed architecture and cities.

Paris and Rome would be solid 5 cities to me. London is a 4.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of the UK, Bournemouth, Poole, Newquay, Rye and Milton Keynes are towns and not cities.

Milton Keynes is however expanding and may seek city status.

As for the rankings I don't agree with some of them, however you are entitled to your opinion.
Yes, I was including towns, too...I also brought up St. John's, Hot Springs, Galena, etc, for Canada and the US, too.

I say in my original post: "I labeled cities of the main anglosphere countries - a handful of the larger, notable cities of each country, with a few wildcards and notable towns to boot."

Also, the purpose of this thread was for you to leave your own rankings if you disagree with them! And to add more cities to the list.

Last edited by Evetteever; 08-15-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 10:38 PM

Expanded list of world cities and my rankings:

Paris: 5

Rome: 5

Milan: 4

Rotterdam: 2

Amsterdam: 3

Porto: 2

Lisbon: 4

Stockholm: 2

Gothenburg: 1

Copenhagen: 3

Auckland: 1

Napier: 2

Wellington: 2

Christchurch: 3

Vienna: 4

Zurich: 4

Moscow: 3

St. Petersburg: 2

Warsaw: 2

Krakow: 3

Berlin: 2

Hamburg: 3

Munich: 4

Prague: 5

Barcelona: 5

Madrid: 4

Tokyo: 3

Beijing: 2

Shanghai: 2

Seoul: 1

Istanbul: 3

Izmir: 2

Tel Aviv: 2

Hong Kong: 3

Vatican City: 4

Dublin: 2

Mexico City: 3

Sao Paulo: 1

Rio de Janeiro: 3

Brasilia: 1

Cinque Terre: 5

Buenos Aires: 4

Athens: 2

Florence: 5

Venice: 5

Toulouse: 4

Marseille: 3

Lyon: 4

Santorini: 5

Nantes: 3

Nice: 3

Oslo: 1

Johannesburg: 1

Cape Town: 3

Average and Median score for architecture by so far country (those with more than 2 cities listed:

United Kingdom: 2 / 2

Australia: 2 / 2

Canada: 2 / 2

United States: 3 / 3

France: 4 / 3

Italy: 5 / 5

New Zealand: 2 / 2

Germany: 3 / 3

China: 2 / 2

Brazil: 2 / 1

(BEST) 1) Italy

2) France

3) Germany

= 3) United States

4) Australia

= 4) Canada

= 4) China

= 4) New Zealand

(WORST) 5) Brazil

Or:

Country Ranking:

IT: 5

FR: 3

US: 3

GR: 3

UK: 2

CA: 2

NZ: 2

AU: 2

CH: 2

BR: 1

Old 08-15-2020, 11:24 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,404,490 times
Do you just randomly go on google and search the city and rank them based on pictures you saw?

Old 08-16-2020, 02:32 AM

27,643 posts, read 13,838,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evetteever View Post
Yes, I was including towns, too...I also brought up St. John's, Hot Springs, Galena, etc, for Canada and the US, too.

I say in my original post: "I labeled cities of the main anglosphere countries - a handful of the larger, notable cities of each country, with a few wildcards and notable towns to boot."

Also, the purpose of this thread was for you to leave your own rankings if you disagree with them! And to add more cities to the list.
There's not a lot in places such as Poole, although the harbour is nice and most people couldn't even tell you where Rye was.

The other problem I have is that in terms of cities, you would have to spend a considerable amount of time living in them to get to know them properly in order to rank them in this way, and this especially applies to larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World