Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:49 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans simply don't care that much about public transportation. This is true even where I live on the east coast.

Affluent people prefer to drive cars or suvs than take the public bus or metro.
Right, though part of that is a chicken and egg issue where the public bus or metro are often pitiful and woefully underfunded, so it would behoove many people with means to eschew using the system altogether since the alternative of a personal car despite the large associated personal costs makes it incredibly worthwhile in time savings and opportunities. You’re sort of taking a result here rather than root causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 12:38 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, but when people talk about public transportation and building railroads they often say that the US is so big (territory) that is impossible to compete with other smaller countries that have tight and well developed net. But I guess it could be done pretty efficiently.
I read that even India's public transport system (rail & bus) is far deeper and intense than America's.
When most people cannot afford private vehicles, public transport is the only way to go.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:20 AM

9,986 posts, read 5,689,285 times
1) Population density

2) Governmental structure

3) Age of transportation infrastructure

4) Time period in which respective urban centers developed

5) We already have a well-developed national rail infrastructure, we just use ours to move stuff instead of people.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:14 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
When most people cannot afford private vehicles, public transport is the only way to go.

Maybe it's the opposite. If there is a great, fast, reliable and cheap transportation there is no need to own a car, or owning a car isn't a necessity.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:39 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe it's the opposite. If there is a great, fast, reliable and cheap transportation there is no need to own a car, or owning a car isn't a necessity.
Safety is another reason why people prefer private transportation in the U.S.

I wouldn't ride the bus even for free in many parts of the U.S, but I'd be happy to ride the bus/train/subway in China/Japan/Korea.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Safety is another reason why people prefer private transportation in the U.S.

I wouldn't ride the bus even for free in many parts of the U.S, but I'd be happy to ride the bus/train/subway in China/Japan/Korea.
Right, but safety happens with numbers / eyes on the street and investment.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,526,346 times
Quote:
Well I left my Lexus in the garage today and caught the bus to the station, and the train to my destination. On the train I read the whole way, it was so nice and peaceful. My journey took longer than if I had driven but my blood pressure was nice and steady. It was also much cheaper.

The fast trains in China are excellent. But there are also an awful lot of cars there with ferocious traffic problems.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:41 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Think of the number of people from China who move to the United States and become American citizens. Then think of the number of people from the United States who move to China and become Chinese citizens.

Notice any difference?

Old 08-26-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Think of the number of people from China who move to the United States and become American citizens. Then think of the number of people from the United States who move to China and become Chinese citizens.

Notice any difference?
A massive difference! Doing business in China can be lucrative for some and there are opportunities, but there are also a lot of risks. It is still very much a developing country overall and one with huge disparities among different regions (so while some parts can feel very modern and developed, there are vast parts of China that are extremely not so). However, by most measures, the quality of life in China has massively improved for most and part of that might be attributed to smart investments in infrastructure. Take that in contrast with the infrastructure developments over the last couple of decades in other developing countries that started at a similarly low base of economic development.

Where else do Chinese people seem to flock to? Developed countries, often English speaking as that's the most popular second language in China, for the better standard of living, but oddly also some developing countries mostly as entrepreneurs or part of massive Chinese corporate or government (what's the difference, lol!) infrastructure developments.

However, there are definitely countries with more limited immigration to the US that are developed and have far better mass transit systems compared to their US counterparts. I'd say the vast majority of them. It's unfortunate because we actually have a massive backlog of infrastructure expansion and repair projects we have to do it and we've essentially been accumulating a sort of work debt. Even our most similar partners with large expanses of land and even greater difficulty with intercity public transport currently have better mass transit systems, and moreover, they've committed to some sizable improvements. Take for example, Sydney which has 5.3 million people. By no means does it have the best mass transit system for a city of its size among developed countries, but it does have a better system than all US metropolitan areas of similar population and is substantially better than most.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-26-2020 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-26-2020, 08:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
China is slightly smaller than the US, but has around four times the population, with a total population approaching 1.4 Billion.

I was ready to correct you and state that China is slightly lager but then I decided to check first...some sites say USA is larger, some say China is larger...pretty odd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World