Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 05:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
No idea about Australia, which on the whole is generally very safe, even petty crime is rather rare in Australia, or at least its nothing like the Americas or Europe.
The Northern Territory has a higher homicide rate than any European nation or the state of Boyacá, Colombia for that matter. So undoubtedly there are safer areas of Australia.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 09-06-2020 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 05:46 PM

304 posts, read 151,372 times
Safest place I've lived for a long time was Midcoast Maine. The town often had only one police officer on duty at a time, and there hadn't been a murder nearby in years. The governor at the time, Angus King (now senator from Maine), arrived in town one day and just walked into a local diner for lunch with his single policeman/driver/body guard. Nobody thought anything of it, and I don't think anyone even said anything to him. Periodically, there would be a crime spree, like a couple of purses would be stolen from unlocked cars, and the police would publish a plea in the local paper for people to please lock their cars, or at least not leave the keys in the ignition. To me the most important part of "low crime" is the violent part, though property crime can be upsetting and annoying. Maine and Vermont are both very low on violent crime. Both nice places to live too!

Old 09-06-2020, 06:32 PM

153 posts, read 110,516 times
Almost everywhere in Japan is safe, most people do not have much concept of staying safe and aware. This has lead to some self-deprecating statements in Japanese such as the phrase "平和ボケ" or "heiwa boke" which basically means people that have lived in peaceful conditions all their life that they are somewhat easy pickings for criminals. "Ignorance is bliss" kind of thing. People say this especially when going abroad to places like the US and Europe, where one cannot simply leave their phone on the restaurant table to go to the toilet. The only areas in Japan that are not safe (by Japanese standards) are parts of Tokyo and Osaka where the yakuza (mafia) control, but that still does not affect the average person at all. There is also an area in Osaka that has the most homeless people in Japan, but I have heard it is more depressing/full of urban decay rather than a traditional "ghetto". I have also heard Kita-Kyushu is full of motorcycle gangs and the equivalent to "white trash", and Ibaraki is not the nicest place, but not particularly dangerous.

Canada's safest area is maybe..small towns in Quebec or the Maritimes? Not really sure, honestly. Nowhere really strikes me as ridiculously safe more than others, just for sure not somewhere far north or Winnipeg or whatever.

The US' safest areas are most likely in New England, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Vermont and such are very peaceful.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post

Canada's safest area is maybe..small towns in Quebec or the Maritimes? Not really sure, honestly. Nowhere really strikes me as ridiculously safe more than others, just for sure not somewhere far north or Winnipeg or whatever.
Yep Guelph & Quebec are the safest cities whereas Winnipeg and Regine tripple the former two in serious crime so the difference is quite substantial.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:58 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Like has been mentioned: northern New England. Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine. If you have money it offers a fantastic quality of life.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:51 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Like has been mentioned: northern New England. Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine. If you have money it offers a fantastic quality of life.
Even though I like New England, my favorite U.S. states are Maryland and New Jersey.

More my pace in terms of things to do.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-06-2020 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 09:19 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Genetics has little to do with it. The japanese were the most murderous, brutal people for a time. The Chinese
Koreans, Indonesians and Philipinos will attest to this. Human behaviour is mainly tied to culture and collective philosophy hence why evil raises its head and has raised its head among all societies at one point in time. It just transitions over time as cultures weave in and out of morality.
The Japanese did what they had to do when they were fighting a war or when they were expanding their territory. That is different from people's behaviors and attitudes during normal peacetime.

The United States has such a large population of people (330 million) descended from cultures all over the world. This situation offers a fascinating look into how different races and ethnicities behave when they are living in the same society.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:55 PM

570 posts, read 508,422 times
Quote:
The Northern Territory has a higher homicide rate than any European nation or the state of Boyacá, Colombia for that matter. So undoubtedly there are safer areas of Australia.
That’s actually false lol. I have been to Colombia and there is always a risk to be mugged. Not in the NT. There are problems with domestic violence and problems related to alcoholism, etc. But it’s nothing like Colombia. What are those sources you have that say that the NT has a higher homicide rate than any Europe nation or the state of boyaca lol

Last edited by usuariodeldia; 09-06-2020 at 10:14 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 10:13 PM

570 posts, read 508,422 times
Quote:
Homicide rate in the NT is 2.4 in the year 2018

Homicide rate in Liechtenstein 2.6 (2018)
Lithuania 4.5
Latvia 4.3
Hungary 2.5

Boyaca is 4.2 so almost double than NT. LOL
https://caracol.com.co/emisora/2017/...52_315452.html

sources:
https://www.aic.gov.au/sites/default...ia_2017-18.pdf

Old 09-06-2020, 10:16 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
The NT has less than 1% of Australians population, and violence is almost entirely within small towns full of indigenous Australians, rather than a city like Darwin.

Darwin itself is actually well below the NT average for Crime statistics, despite been the only real city of note in the NT (Even then its quite small, even by Australian Standards).

Its very localized, and the victims/aggressors are usually indigenous as well, not trying to paint over the problems they have in the NT or with our natives, but we are talking a very small fraction of Australia here, and i am sure most other countries have areas like that if you look hard enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World