Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 05:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times

Advertisements

What's the remotest place you've visited on the planet and what's it like?

The remotest place I've visited can only be accessed by plane or by a 24 hour cargo boat ride from the nearest coastal city.

That place is Nuquí, Chocó on Colombia's northern Pacific coast. No roads reach it and the nearest small city is over the Baudó mountain range at least a 5 day trek trough mountainous rainforest. Then from there an extra 8 hour bus ride over the Western Andes to the nearest propper city.
I went there for the first time 15 years ago and fell in love with it, so much I bought a cabin there for £6,000.

It's a place where you can surf or paddle board with whales, where I raced flying fish on my speed boat. It's a place with many unspoilt beaches and a rich jungle backdrop with waterfalls and hot springs. It's a town made up of the descendants of 2,000 enslaved West Africans and the Native American (Embera) village upriver comes into the town on their canoes with their traditional tribal markings for supplies.

Surfing with Whales.

Music group ChocQuibTown put Nuquí on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
What an interesting place! I had to look it up on the map and then read a Wikipedia article. The daily average temperatures look the same all year round, high of 30C, low of 20C with plenty of rainfall every month. Looks like the nearest big city is Medellin.

One of the most remote places I have visited is Bahia de Tortugas in Baja California on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. It is a village centered around fishing. It is too remote to attract many tourists, but there will usually be a handful of campers and adventure types in town.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...4d-114.8966932

You can get there by driving 3 hours on a dirt / gravel road, about 180 kilometers west of Baja Peninsula Highway 1. There are no other towns along that dirt road, and almost no sign of anyone along the entire length of the road. It is pure desert wilderness, far enough to make you think seriously about the consequences of having a problem along the way. You might see a couple of other vehicles on the road hauling fish and shellfish to the bigger cities in Baja like Ensenada or Tijuana.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Midway Island. The closest inhabited place to there is over 1,000 miles away. However, it didn't really feel all that remote, because I got there on a commercial jet plane.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:31 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times
I went to a party at a camp located ~5 miles SE of Orviston, Pennsylvania (dirt/rocky steep "roads" [highly not recommended for a car...], no cell service for many miles, no cities/towns/highways for a while).

I was recently on Daufuskie Island, South Carolina which was interesting and also very creepy. The island is accessible by a 45-minute ferry ride only. It was ravaged by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. There are abandoned/overgrown houses and boats, a tiny old lighthouse museum, and small chicken farms and a horse stable. An old cemetery in the thick forest. Felt like I was on Scoobie Doo Zombie Island.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Midway Island. The closest inhabited place to there is over 1,000 miles away. However, it didn't really feel all that remote, because I got there on a commercial jet plane.
Whoa that's about as remote as you can get. Isn't it known as trash island now where the worlds plastic is accumulating and killing the Albatroses & birds there because they're consuming it?

Old 09-15-2020, 08:08 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Johnston Atoll, 935 miles from Hawaii.
We pulled in to refuel our Minesweeper on the way to Vietnam in 1967.

But our next fuel stop was Kwajalein Island, which is another 2200 Miles away.

These are both extremely remote places, and really, really beautiful - at least to my eye.

Bermuda bills itself as one of the most remote large islands. I've been there, too. Most people think Bermuda is in the Caribbean, but it's actually far north of the Caribbean, more on line with Norfolk, VA.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:17 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Churchill, Manitoba, Canada I would say. Polar Bear capital of the world. No road in or out. Can only get there by train which didn't have service for more almost 10 years or by plane. I went in May and it was -10°C... not exactly spring weather.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:54 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,835 times
I suppose it doesn't compare to some peoples' answers here, but I went to Darwin, Australia in January and drove about 2000km (1200 miles) around the Northern Territory. The NT is just a whole lot of absolutely nothing, other than nature, for thousands of km. Darwin itself is quite isolated from other cities in Australia, 2,846 km from Brisbane and 2,647km to Perth, you're closer to East Timor and Indonesia than anything populated in Australia. Once you get about an hour or more outside Darwin, the sense of aloneness and isolation when you're driving down the highway is astounding.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Northern Manitoba, Canada. And I never want to go back. It was a weird experience and a reminder just how vast and empty this country is.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:52 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Whoa that's about as remote as you can get. Isn't it known as trash island now where the worlds plastic is accumulating and killing the Albatroses & birds there because they're consuming it?
Unfortunately, yes, they are having some issues with trash. To my understanding, the albatrosses are mostly in danger when they fly out to sea, and eat the shiny plastic they find floating on the water. I know that Midway used to sponsor cleanups of their beaches, back when they had visitation to the island. I don't know what they're doing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World