Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 06:39 PM

365 posts, read 215,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Lol nice one! I think you might be onto somethong there...

What a daft question, of course Colombia gets snow. How do you think snow appears on its over 25+ snow capped mountains?

Even last time I was around Manizales it snowed. Bogotá is not the only city or town at altitude you know there are many places way higher in Colombia. The Andes region alone in Colombia is the size of Italy and the Eastern Andean plateau (where Bogota is located) the size of Switzerland. Also outside the Andes there are other snow capped mountains, namely the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta, the highest coastal mountains in the world.

I still agree though. Bulgaria is the undisputed winner, being a combination of Colombia and Poland & all.
What makes you so sure Bulgaria is not exceptionally beautiful? How much do you know about that country? Is this yet another snark comment about a country in this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 06:43 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
This is not snow, this is clearly a hailstorm.
Snow has never fallen on Bogotá. In fact, snow has never been recorded below 3500 m above the sea level in Colombia, which is kind of expected for a tropical location.
Actually Sumapaz is the 20th borough (locality) of Bogotá and it has snowed there. Fact of the matter is, it snows in Colombia.

PS. I checked & you're right, 3rd video in previous post wasn't Colombia as stated by the video provider and the post has therefore been edited.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 10-09-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
What makes you so sure Bulgaria is not exceptionally beautiful? How much do you know about that country? Is this yet another snark comment about a country in this thread
Were you not rather 'snarky' about the Lake District? (post 8)? I don't see him making a similar statement about bulgaria?

Old 10-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
I actually thought you were joking and was just joking along with you. Of course Bulgaria is beautiful, the Black sea, Belogradchik, the Iskar river. Some of the places on my bucket list when the chance to visit arises. I just don't see how its a half-way house between Poland & Colombia hence I thought it was a joke.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:11 PM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times
No snow in the DR either. The highest peak is Pico Duarte at over 10,400 feet (3,170 meters) and La Pelona is virtually a twin peak right next to it, just a few feet shorter. Had the island been further to the north several peaks would be covered with snow at least for part of the year, given that taller mountains in North America than the ones in the DR's Cordillera Central are found in the Rocky's of the US and Canada (not the Appalachian in the eastern US), in addition to several peaks in Mexico and Central America. There are pine covered areas in these mountains because it gets too cold.

Every winter there are videos such as these posted online and created in those high valleys of the DR, only place in the Caribbean where it happens.

Drone footage of the pine forest up in those mountains and mountain valleys. The trees are of the Pinus Occidentali variety, which only grows naturally on the high mountains of the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and on the Sierra Maestra mountains of eastern Cuba. Most of the specie grows in the DR though, because that's where the biggest natural habitat for the plant is found. To think that the country is internationally known for its coconut palm studded white sand beaches and bathtub warm crystal clear sea water and then you find yourself with this and rushing to put on a coat. lol The tourists tanning themselves at sea level have no idea places like this exist on the same island. The gray-ish stuff growing on many pines is Spanish Moss, which is frequent in the southern United States.

There's another valley nearby that is higher than Valle Nuevo and that too is practically uninhabited. Its called "La Nevera" (The Fridge). A person doesn't have to be a genius to figure out why no one lives there and why it was named like that.

Not too faraway is this cactus studded place.

If you ever wonder why Dominicans will refer to the DR as a mini-continent, now you know. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-09-2020 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-09-2020, 07:12 PM

^^
Oh just realized you're not euro but tronas, I kind of know euro's personality, he's a character and I'm pretty sure he was joking - he's quite self depricating that way.

Snow in Colombia...as I said I experienced snow first hand right above Manizales last time I was there. Next time it snows in Colombia I'll make sure to record it myself. Here is snow in 2 different parts of the country on 2 different occassions.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:27 PM

^^
Look how happy the El Salvadoreans are experiencing snow in Colombia's Andean glacial lagoons. It is a beautiful sight to behold for sure.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
For those of us from further north, can you please show us some more tropical scenery?? Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well, you do live in the prairies. so no surprise.

On that note. Flat land can be very beautiful. Anyone who has experience a sunrise or sunset on the open prairie will attest to that. The Netherlands, has some very beautiful areas, all flat.
Yeah I love the prairies. I love the open skies and the endless landscape. There is something very theraputic about it. You feel very free driving over the prairies.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
There are so many gorgeous places in the world, I don't think I could even really create a list. Natural splendor exists in all corners of the world.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:39 PM

The Llanos are great safari and ranch lands. Nothing better than hang up a chinchorro (big hammock) in a morichal with a cold beer and a good book.

Los Llanos

Pink river dolphins

Jaguar

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World