Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 08:02 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I actually thought you were joking and was just joking along with you. Of course Bulgaria is beautiful, the Black sea, Belogradchik, the Iskar river. Some of the places on my bucket list when the chance to visit arises. I just don't see how its a half-way house between Poland & Colombia hence I thought it was a joke.

The "joke" was based on the fact that Colombia isn't as hot as people think (just googled it, yes there is snow in Bogota...) + Bulgaria isn't as Sberian/Russian as people think, you can easily go around shirtless in October at the sea.

Even in terms of mountains, neighboor Greece has Olympus and everyone worldwide knows about Olymbus meanwhile Bulgaria has the higher Musala and no one has heard of Musala outside Makedonia or Serbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 08:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
A lot is tied to cultural prominense and I think that's understadable. Greek philosophy and mythology has played a major role on the formation of Western & Byzantine literature & ideology. Hence the cultural significance of Mt. Olympus and why it's known.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:37 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
It does snow in Colombia, but only above a certain altitude. It never snowed in the city of Manizales, which is located just above 2000 meters.

A common problem in areas where snow is very rare is that as snow isn’t well known by locals, some other hydrometeors might be confused with it. This is especially common in tropical mountains, where thunderstorms are frequent and may deliver small or soft hail in relatively large amounts. There is a climatologist who specializes on records and extremes. He is a freaking beast in the matter, very obsessive and meticulous. I’ve talked to him lots of times. He has a very descriptive report on line about snowfalls in unusual places: Maxcrc/Snowfall by country

This is honestly a great work. If you believe he is wrong about some data or desire to provide further information, you can contact him, as he is very approachable, but you better be sure about what you are stating.

On Colombia, he says: Snow only falls at very high elevations, minimum elevations varies from 3500m in the north to 4100m in the south. Snow is very rare on the Azufral Volcano at 4070m, and hasn't fallen since the end of the little ice age on the Paramo Frontino (4080m) and on the Farallones de Cali (4050m). In January 2018 snow fell in the South on the Paramo de las Tinajas at elevations as low as 3800m for the first time in decades.

On Dominican Republic, he says: Snowflakes might occur in the highest peaks of the Valle Nuevo around 3000m but it is becoming a rare event and accumulation almost no longer occurs. Unconfirmed reports cite January 1962 as the last time when snow covered the Duarte Peak.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:54 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I saw a video from South America, I forget where exactly, might have been Ecuador Or Peru. They shot the video from the lowland jungle and off in the distance was a snow capped mountian range it looked quite impressive.

In Guatemala they will occasionally get snow on the Mountain/Volcano tops. It is cool to see specially from the The tropical coastal plains. It doesn't happen often though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgGTwi6fbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr55iETLkCM

Old 10-10-2020, 11:12 AM

One of Guatemalas smallest volcanos marks the border with El Salvador.
Atescatempa Lake with Chingo Volcano in the background, Guatemala by Sebastiao Pereira-Nunes, on Flickr

Lake Atitlan surrounded by its volcanos. San Pedro and Toliman and these is actually a third one behind the one on the left, Atitlan. South Central Guatemala.
Lago Atitlán, Guatemala by Baptiste L, on Flickr

The second tallest volcano in Guatemala, Tacana, that is on the border with Mexico.
Viendo al volcán Tacaná by ozbo_gt, on Flickr

Old 10-10-2020, 11:31 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
In Guatemala they will occasionally get snow on the Mountain/Volcano tops. It is cool to see specially from the The tropical coastal plains. It doesn't happen often though.
Guatemala has the highest peaks in Central America, and I guess it’s a bit more exposed to freak cold air mass events due to its location relative to the core of the North American landmass.

Max Herrera states the following about the occurrence of snow in Guatemala:

Snow may fall above 4000m on at the top of the Tajamulco Volcano and in rare occasions between 3700m and 4000m. Snow was recorded on the volcanoes Fuego and Acatenango and in the village of Ixchiguán (3200m) in January 1967, January 2007 and January 2013. Snow was recorded in the Santa Maria Volcano in January 2002.
Snow was recorded last time in the Agua Volcano in january 1967, in the Atitlan Volcano in February 1936, in Chichoy Lake in January 1938. A spectacular and unmatched snowstorm swept the country in February 1881 with snow recorded above 2200m, including in the city of Quetzaltenango, after which has only witnessed few flakes in February 1956. Snow was also said to have fallen in Quetzaltenango in 1816.

The bolded part is especially impressive. Did you know about this event?

Old 10-10-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post

The bolded part is especially impressive. Did you know about this event?
No I can't say that I have. Thanks for sharing the link.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:46 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
I'd also say Africa can be top choice, it's like South America but with lions...

I mean the "heart of africa", the great lakes and what not, the subsaharan like Liberia, Kenya, SA.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:50 PM

The problem with Africa is that it doesn't have an equivalent to the Andes which stretch the entire continent and where a lot of the major cities and hundreds of millions of people live in or near its folds.

Otherwise yes, especially East Africa, namely Tanzania & Kenya, have a lot of diverse natual beauty.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
It does snow in Colombia, but only above a certain altitude. It never snowed in the city of Manizales, which is located just above 2000 meters.
Sometimes you need to get out of a text book to see the reality. Manizales has an average elevation of 7,090 feet above sea level but Manizales is also one of the most hilly cities in the world and there are plenty of places higher within and around the municipality.

I tell you I was riding with a group of my friends from the UK up to Alto de Letras just above Manizales and snow started to fall on us. As I said, next time I'll be ready to record it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World