Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 05:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I always heard this phrase. However, it’s just marketing. The times I have been in NYC (pre-Covid) the city is not that vibrant as people make it. Apart from some tourists in Times Square, the rest of NYC was dead after certain time. This is not the case with Bangkok or Berlin. In both cities lots of things are happening, in fact people go out super late. Same in Buenos Aires. I remember lining up at a club at 4am in Berlin. I also remember taking a motorbike with my friend to explore Bangkok very late at night. Am I wrong about NYC? What other cities are fully 24 hours? I have heard that Hong Kong is another 24 hours city.
I think the phrase when it was coined was about the all-night bustle of the city (subway running 24 hours, restaurants open 24 hours, etc.) but it was probably only in relation to other cities in the U.S., not necessarily relative to other cities around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 12:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have known the phrase most of my life and have never associated it with crime.
Maybe so, but "crime" makes things dangerous, and danger is cool. Those talking about nightlife prior to the gentrification fail to mention there was always an element of danger associated with "nightlife" in major cities back then. No one wants to say it but its is really is one of the aspects missed by ole skool NYCers about the "good ole days" before the transplants, and hipsters took over Manhattan.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:22 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
In regards to NYC, at one point NYC has quite a bit of industry and some of these ran a third shift which meant there was always someone out getting to work or leaving work and possibly blowing some steam off after work. I wouldn't be surprised if that had contributed some part to NYC's 24 hour legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I guess you can go to Bangkok to get a taste of what 1980s New York City was like.
That's pretty silly. Bangkok is a growing city that's more or less improving while NYC in the 80s was one losing population. Bangkok also has a massively lower violent crime rate now than NYC in the 80s, and while there is poverty, it's generally not the entrenched generational poverty that was and to some extent still is in NYC. The only real common points to argue for similarity specific to 80s NYC is that there's pretty robust nightlife.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-01-2020 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-01-2020, 01:00 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In regards to NYC, at one point NYC has quite a bit of industry and some of these ran a third shift which meant there was always someone out getting to work or leaving work and possibly blowing some steam off after work. I wouldn't be surprised if that had contributed some part to NYC's 24 hour legacy.

That's pretty silly. Bangkok is a growing city that's more or less improving while NYC in the 80s was one losing population. Bangkok also has a massively lower violent crime rate now than NYC in the 80s, and while there is poverty, it's generally not the entrenched generational poverty that was and to some extent still is in NYC. The only real common points to argue for similarity specific to 80s NYC is that there's pretty robust nightlife.
How about drugs, adult stores and prostitution?

Old 10-01-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
How about drugs, adult stores and prostitution?
You might not like that, but adult stores and prostitution don't have to be that tightly coupled to "crime ridden, drug infested dump" and drug use in Bangkok hasn't caused the city to become violent or dumpy as it's not very heavy-handed in enforcement. If someone's looking for the danger element or think that nightlife needs to be so directly proportional to crime, then Bangkok just isn't it. For some reason, it sounds like maybe you haven't been to Bangkok or at least haven't been in quite a long while.

If you do want a bit more danger though and are looking at southeast Asia, then Manila might be the ticket though its population isn't dropping either. There you can find a substantially greater amount of violence and potentially quite desperate poverty, but it still doesn't have the kind of issue of abandonment or flight that NYC in the 80s did.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:12 PM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Yeah it’s funny that he/she said that about Bangkok because I actually felt much safer in Bangkok than in NYC. And I’m talking about my trips in NYC in 2018 and Bangkok in 2019

Old 10-02-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah it’s funny that he/she said that about Bangkok because I actually felt much safer in Bangkok than in NYC. And I’m talking about my trips in NYC in 2018 and Bangkok in 2019
New York City has been very safe at any time in the last 20 years or so. It doesn’t get any better than this for a major American city.

I’d say that someone would have to be kind of paranoid to feel unsafe in New York City. Either that or they would have seek out the worst neighborhoods where few people visit.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:19 PM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Quote:
New York City has been very safe at any time in the last 20 years or so. It doesn’t get any better than this for a major American city.

I’d say that someone would have to be kind of paranoid to feel unsafe in New York City. Either that or they would have seek out the worst neighborhoods where few people visit.
Well it was my experience, nothing happened to me but NYC wasn’t a place where I had my AirPods on at night and I walked around without being caution. This was in Manhattan and Brooklyn. All the opposite in Bangkok and other places in Thailand, look at the numbers, Bangkok is way safer than NYC, the problem with Bangkok are the scams and bribery that in my opinion are harmless if you are not a dumb tourist

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
People in the states have gun, that in my opinion makes NYC automatically more unsafe than Bangkok

Last edited by Yac; 10-07-2020 at 12:28 AM..

Old 10-02-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Right, but you have to realize that there are some parts of the world where the safest major US city would be considered quite dangerous in other contexts as perception is a bit of a sliding scale. For example, I was warned about certain parts of Osaka being very dangerous and then you find out that stat-wise it's nothing compared to even fairly safe neighborhoods in NYC. It also isn't just necessarily violent crime as an issue as there's also just things like getting pick-pocketed or not being able to leave your bike unlocked or even something as small as not having people aggressively honk their horns. Now is it actually dangerous? No, I don't feel that way at all as I've lived here off and on for a decade now, but there is a sort of sliding scale for different cities. This is also why I'm questioning whether you've been to Bangkok in recent years, because while Bangkok isn't Osaka sort of safe and tranquil referencing 80s NYC back when the crime rates were much, much higher by just about any metric compared to NYC today just seems sort of nonsensical.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Well it was my experience, nothing happened to me but NYC wasn’t a place where I had my AirPods on at night and I walked around without being caution. This was in Manhattan and Brooklyn. All the opposite in Bangkok and other places in Thailand, look at the numbers, Bangkok is way safer than NYC, the problem with Bangkok are the scams and bribery that in my opinion are harmless if you are not a dumb tourist

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

People in the states have gun, that in my opinion makes NYC automatically more unsafe than Bangkok
My family loves to go to New York City. I have been taking my children there since they were 4 months old. We hang out in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. Daytime or nighttime. It is loads of fun.

The only thing dangerous about visiting New York City is that it can quickly drain your bank account if you're not careful.

Last edited by Yac; 10-07-2020 at 12:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World