Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 05:26 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 16 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
I agree with the OP. New York is not "the city that never sleeps," and it's certainly not the most 24/hr city in the world by a longshot.

It's still a great town though, but it's leaps and bounds behind many other cities in the 24 hr department.

The City that Never Sleeps is applied to a few cities across the world, although what defines a city than never sleeps beyond the transport system and certain aspects of night life such as bars, restaurants and clubs.

The City That Never Sleeps (nickname)- Wikipedia

There is also usually a vast difference between the central areas of cities, aka city centres and downtowns when compared to more suburban areas, for instance NYC is a lot more 24/7 in Manhattan than some other areas of the city, and it's the same with most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:27 PM

323 posts, read 260,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwoodfl View Post
Stop it with the hyperbole. I notice that there's been a lot of anti-New York threads recently. Hmm...wonder why? They seem to come from Aussies and Canadians who like to pretend that "pound for pound [their] cities are better than America's", and they get cripplingly furious when you point out how the US has way more global cities than they do.

They get annoyed that none of their cities can compare to NYC, for example, so they have to insert themselves into comparisons between NYC and other world cities, pretending like they're New Yorkers, even, to make themselves feel better by ranting hyperbolically about how New York and America are cesspools. Oh but don't criticize them back! They'll call you a troll and lobby to have you banned!

I have to think it must be extremely hard trying to be proud of Canada's or Australia's nonexistent culture and achievements in the face of the American giant, so you have to execute a bunch of absurd mental gymnastics and tell yourself bedtime stories every night about how the US has demons roaming the streets, or it has more people so you can compare Memphis to Melbourne and that's a just comparison that shows Australia's cities are "pound for pound" better because...well, we don't know why.

Oh, and when an American makes an accurate point, based off, you know, real life, about how American cities stomp Canadian cities when it comes to cultural excitement, history, and global interest, administrator's will seize on the "previously banned troll" label to excommunicate you, because they're insecure about having their echo chamber collapsed. Lmao.

"By a longshot", "leaps and bounds" - no, New York City is definitely a nightlife hot spot. Let's cut the insecure BS. Where are you from?
There's nothing anti-New York in my post. It's just that you're very sensitive to any comment that doesn't glorify the city. It's OK, I realize that a lot of people get up in their feelings on these threads...but I notice moreso when it comes to New York for some reason. I actually love New York, but it's just a fact that it's not the most 24/hr city in the world. -- That doesn't mean the city is no good or lacking; as I said I still love the place, it's just not the most 24 hour city. That's nothing to get upset about though, it's still a great place..

And where am I from? -- All over, but I lived in New York for 11 years; 5 years in Brooklyn and 6 years in Syracuse. I love NYC, but I'm too well traveled and have experienced far too many cities to know that NYC isn't the 24 hour city that many people (such as yourself) believe it to be.
It's ok if you want to believe that though. There's no harm in believing that if you want...

The meltdown you typed up though about Australia and Canada and their lack of culture and other peoples "insecure BS," only proves how insecure and sensitive you are about this topic. Just relax -- BREATHE. It's ok if NYC isn't the most 24 hr city in the world, or if it isn't the best city in the world for a lot of people out there. You're still free to enjoy the place and believe whatever you'd like to about the place.

However, what I WOULD recommend you do is travel; get out there and see the world, it'll give you some perspective. There are a lot of great cities throughout Latin America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the Pacific. Go and see for yourself and experience in person the great cities in these regions, and then maybe you'll understand why so many people don't share the same view you do on New York. You really don't know until you know...and you have to go to know.. But like I said, no one's attacking New York, it's a great city... And you can think whatever your heart desires about the place...but just try not to get so upset when other people, who are more traveled and experienced, offer a different perspective.

As I said, this is just an internet thread at the end of the day, nothing to stroke out over.

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 07-12-2021 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-14-2021, 06:17 AM
psv

55 posts, read 36,190 times
Americans are excellent at inventing myths about themselves and their country.

From the American dream which Americans believe is like this sacred thing when in reality is nothing but real estate companies pushing people to buy homes.

To the city that never sleeps, where if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

NYC gets actually pretty quiet after office hours. Not only that, the area where high flow of interaction occurs which is Manhattan is fairly small. Outside Manhattan, NYC quickly turns into a suburban sprawl or the classical awful run down Us style ghetto/slum.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
I agree with the OP. New York is not "the city that never sleeps," and it's certainly not the most 24/hr city in the world by a longshot.

It's still a great town though, but it's leaps and bounds behind many other cities in the 24 hr department.
There is a movement now to start making many things 24 hours in NYC. Not sure what will come of it. Last call is already @ 4am ... much later than most other places.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:44 PM

323 posts, read 260,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There is a movement now to start making many things 24 hours in NYC. Not sure what will come of it. Last call is already @ 4am ... much later than most other places.
That would be awesome, I hope things do change. Don't get me wrong, New York still is a "late night" city, it's just not a true 24/7 city like a Bangkok, Sao Paolo or Madrid...but it has the potential to be world class in this department.

The Giuliani era really killed the party in the city as well, with the crackdown on cabaret licenses and so forth. Also, this new social media era of "selfies" and "bottle service" really took the fun and spontaneity out of the nightlife, but that's not just a New York thing...

New York has to stop being so Manhattan-centric as well. Sure, there are a few decent nightlife spots outside of Manhattan: Williamsburg, Hoboken, Greenpoint, Astoria...but I feel like many of these places could be developed into true 24/7 entertainment districts. Coney Island could be something really amazing, but it seems like it's going to stay relegated to a trippy little amusement park area for the foreseeable future.

Also, 4am is a decent last call time, but to truly be the "city that never sleeps," the laws would have to be changed. A 5 or 6am last call would be better, because even Vegas, New Orleans and Miami are open later than NYC. There were a few clubs in Brooklyn back in the day that stayed open til noon the next day, like Brooklyn Mirage, but those places were few and far between. -- Those places made you feel like you were in the city that never sleeps, but as I said, there were only a couple of spots like that. Other than that, New York is closed up by 3 - 4am on a Friday/Saturday night.

I'm rooting for New York, I'd like to see it eventually live up to its nickname!!

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 07-14-2021 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-16-2021, 11:57 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Yeha in Madrid... Madrid is more of a 24/7 city than NYC. 2am and people were still ordering food.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:23 AM
psv

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeha in Madrid... Madrid is more of a 24/7 city than NYC. 2am and people were still ordering food.
I agree

Madrid is non stop.

I recall staying at hotel near la gran Via and waking up at 3:50am only to find there was a traffic jam on the gran via.

The whole NYC is so great blah blah is largely Americans who've never been anywhere outside The US blowing their own horns!

It is down to culture....

Usually southern European cultures are far more the typical (NEVER SLEEP) than the US.

In Belgrade (A SOUTH eastern European city) I was surprised to find coffee shops open at 4am, while the city thrived with partying people and street vendors around.

That does not happen in NYC.

NYC is highly overrated.

South American cities are also pretty "OPEN TIL LATE" kinda places. In Buenos Aires people start hitting the club at 1am.... when Americans are going home from the club to sleep.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:59 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I agree

Madrid is non stop.

I recall staying at hotel near la gran Via and waking up at 3:50am only to find there was a traffic jam on the gran via.

The whole NYC is so great blah blah is largely Americans who've never been anywhere outside The US blowing their own horns!

It is down to culture....

Usually southern European cultures are far more the typical (NEVER SLEEP) than the US.

In Belgrade (A SOUTH eastern European city) I was surprised to find coffee shops open at 4am, while the city thrived with partying people and street vendors around.

That does not happen in NYC.

NYC is highly overrated.

South American cities are also pretty "OPEN TIL LATE" kinda places. In Buenos Aires people start hitting the club at 1am.... when Americans are going home from the club to sleep.
Yeah in my PHD programs all the British and international students get very annoyed with the NYC locales who just tout it as the best city in the world and then make some messed up comment about Delhi or Singapore based on their inability to travel.

The more someone is defensive over a certain city, the less travelled they are. It irks me.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:47 PM
psv

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah in my PHD programs all the British and international students get very annoyed with the NYC locales who just tout it as the best city in the world and then make some messed up comment about Delhi or Singapore based on their inability to travel.

The more someone is defensive over a certain city, the less travelled they are. It irks me.
Exactly, I have encountered British people who CANNOT understand why someone might find London lame!!

It's usually the same british who think traveling means hoping on a ghetto Ryanair flight to Ibiza for the summer and that is just about the only traveling they do.

Talk to well travelled Britons and they will be the first ones to highlight to you the fact London is rubbish!

Old 07-18-2021, 01:37 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 16 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Exactly, I have encountered British people who CANNOT understand why someone might find London lame!!

It's usually the same british who think traveling means hoping on a ghetto Ryanair flight to Ibiza for the summer and that is just about the only traveling they do.

Talk to well travelled Britons and they will be the first ones to highlight to you the fact London is rubbish!
London has plenty of 24/7 areas such as Soho, whilst the Southbank, Camden, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, indeed most of the West End. Whilst areas such as Hoxton and Shoreditch have a more hipster vibe.

The South Bank is officially the third coolest street in the world - Time Out (2021)

The Coolest Neighbourhoods in London - Culture Trip

These Are London’s Very Best Neighbourhoods, According To You - Secret London

xford Circus to be turned into pedestrian piazzas this year - The Guardian (2021)

London's Southbank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__BrqQISjVE

London's Soho during Lock down -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHJLVq210nU

London's Borough Market area during Lock down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulMukjTre4

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-18-2021 at 03:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World