Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 06:58 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...ield-134649866

Just sold, but this is a Federation house so a bit earlier than the Californian bungalows.
Ha, Sydney looks to be quite a bit more costly than Chicago overall. Move on over to Chicago, bud, them bungalows are great and you can get the nicest of them in a good neighborhood for far less than what you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 07:11 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
It is interesting that the architectural influence moved from that of the UK to the US after Federation in 1901.
This one is a Victorian terrace, pre 1901, but most are two or three stories, not four.. This is more expensive than most. My cousin bought a place here before it gentrified many years ago and our mutual aunt refused to visit him as she thought it was such a slummy area.
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...gton-134576326

Old 11-28-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
It is interesting that the architectural influence moved from that of the UK to the US after Federation in 1901.
This one is a Victorian terrace, pre 1901, but most are two or three stories, not four.. This is more expensive than most. My cousin bought a place here before it gentrified many years ago and our mutual aunt refused to visit him as she thought it was such a slummy area.
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...gton-134576326
Nice. Chicago also has terrace houses with the connected side walls or "near" terrace houses where the walls have just a tiny space between. The vernacular architecture is called greystones:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22%3A%7B%7D%7D

Old 11-28-2020, 08:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...ield-134649866

Just sold, but this is a Federation house so a bit earlier than the Californian bungalows.
OMG, In Chicago or LA the bungalow is not the most desired home as it a bit further usually from the core and young Urban professionals do not seek these styles. They prefer older varieties and closer to the Core for Chicago the pricier. LA guess I can't speak for. Most all housing is pricey there. Just their older-stock bungalows generally are the cheapest neighborhoods there. LA's are the more sloping roof Cali-style wood-frames and likely larger and Chicago's are brick close-knit varieties it developed around the same era.

for under $2 million USD or $2.7 AUD Just outside of official downtown Chicago in the Old Town Neighborhood a lovely 19th century home with garage of course. Out of my range for sure. I live in a small city USA far from major metros, so my nice home is a fraction of that cost.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...3853112_zpid/?

Or this huge old stone 19th century beauty for $1.4 million USD or $1.9 AUD its own garage of course.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../3726656_zpid/

Verses a NYC or SF or LA .... these are a steal. You will have US Continental winters and beaches will be along huge Lake Michigan and not year round of course to use. Sadly for the sellers, these homes already had large price-cuts. Not the best time to sell there and this year especially. Depends on market demand. These Northern US cities are not growing like other parts of the US. Migrations are far more Southward portion of the US. High-end priced homes seem to be having the most problem selling as work from home can have one live much further from big city cores for many.

Since I generally write too much. I will post one maybe two videos I like of Urban Chicago North of its downtown. One does not expect NYC urban for endless blocks in our other US major cities. They have their own style that was generally always less then 4 stories unless a high-rise.

This one recorded by bike this past September though mostly main streets
in 4 neighborhoods and it is fast-paced so not boring IMO. Nice no long stops as
some might. These are walkable areas as some think very little in American cities
might be truly walkable neighborhoods.... I do see these as American Urban that is
not part of its core that we would expect much more of. A couple streets the
biker turns do show housing of the neighborhoods and though Wrigleyville
does circle around the 1908 Baseball Stadium called Wrigley Field surrounded
but the neighborhood still that differs from most new stadiums just with parking.

Starts like 16 km (10 mi) or so northwest of downtown Chicago and goes to within
about 4 km from downtown Chicago by the lakefront in Lincoln Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujgWTvhBw0&t=6s

This one starts in the Park the first one ends. Still similar north of downtown areas.
goes down some alleyways that in the US are Utility, power-lines, trash pick-up etc.
Lot of outdoor dining offerings, especially for streets that were closed to traffic
during this Covid era for outdoor dining that now getting cold to do with the city
closing indoor dining they have to put heaters outside etc. This is still warm weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjOTWr2kvQ&t=531s

Old 11-28-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
OMG, In Chicago or LA the bungalow is not the most desired home as it a bit further usually from the core and young Urban professionals do not seek these styles. They prefer older varieties and closer to the Core for Chicago the pricier. LA guess I can't speak for. Most all housing is pricey there. Just their older-stock bungalows generally are the cheapest neighborhoods there. LA's are the more sloping roof Cali-style wood-frames and likely larger and Chicago's are brick close-knit varieties it developed around the same era.

for under $2 million USD or $2.7 AUD Just outside of official downtown Chicago in the Old Town Neighborhood a lovely 19th century home with garage of course. Out of my range for sure. I live in a small city USA far from major metros, so my nice home is a fraction of that cost.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...3853112_zpid/?

Or this huge old stone 19th century beauty for $1.4 million USD or $1.9 AUD its own garage of course.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../3726656_zpid/

Verses a NYC or SF or LA .... these are a steal. You will have US Continental winters and beaches will be along huge Lake Michigan and not year round of course to use. Sadly for the sellers, these homes already had large price-cuts. Not the best time to sell there and this year especially. Depends on market demand. These Northern US cities are not growing like other parts of the US. Migrations are far more Southward portion of the US. High-end priced homes seem to be having the most problem selling as work from home can have one live much further from big city cores for many.

Since I generally write too much. I will post one maybe two videos I like of Urban Chicago North of its downtown. One does not expect NYC urban for endless blocks in our other US major cities. They have their own style that was generally always less then 4 stories unless a high-rise.

This one recorded by bike this past September though mostly main streets
in 4 neighborhoods and it is fast-paced so not boring IMO. Nice no long stops as
some might. These are walkable areas as some think very little in American cities
might be truly walkable neighborhoods.... I do see these as American Urban that is
not part of its core that we would expect much more of. A couple streets the
biker turns do show housing of the neighborhoods and though Wrigleyville
does circle around the 1908 Baseball Stadium called Wrigley Field surrounded
but the neighborhood still that differs from most new stadiums just with parking.

Starts like 16 km (10 mi) or so northwest of downtown Chicago and goes to within
about 4 km from downtown Chicago by the lakefront in Lincoln Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujgWTvhBw0&t=6s

This one starts in the Park the first one ends. Still similar north of downtown areas.
goes down some alleyways that in the US are Utility, power-lines, trash pick-up etc.
Lot of outdoor dining offerings, especially for streets that were closed to traffic
during this Covid era for outdoor dining that now getting cold to do with the city
closing indoor dining they have to put heaters outside etc. This is still warm weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjOTWr2kvQ&t=531s
Should note that Haberfield is significantly further out from the Syndey CBD than Lincoln Park or Old Town are from the Loop. Geography-wise, it's maybe more like Irving Park. Which is to say, pricing-wise, Sydney is quite a bit higher than Chicago and Marisa should move to Chicago, because it's a fantastic city and she can get a bungalow in a good neighborhood for a fraction of what it'd cost for the Sydney equivalent.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:46 PM

118 posts, read 77,824 times
Yes, the urbanity level is sorely lacking in US cities. We're deeply embarrassed and humbled by the amazing urbanity of literally every other city in the world.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:09 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
There are a few noteeable exception like SF, Boston, Chicago, Seattle but outside of that, 90% of US cities are overwhelmingly boring, uninteresting, and not very urban. Certainly there are some other nice cities but when you consider their size, they are positively dead compared to nearly any other city or relative size.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:08 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
There seem to be some lovely houses and also neighbourhoods in Chicago. We have only ever had a night or two there on one of our earlier trips. We do not have enough of our old areas preserved and anything more than a hundred years old is really old here. Our suburbs are really quite ugly in parts. Fortunately clean and safe but too many power lines, total mish mash of styles.

Well it is very difficult to get visas to live in the US even if I wanted to. Fortunately I can afford Sydney but many people move to cheaper parts of the country. The real estate market for houses is booming here again after a bit of a downturn last year. Many off-market sales. Perhaps from the many expats returning home because of the pandemic.

Watching the video was making me long to go travelling again. Even though the first thing I noticed was that you drive on the wrong side of the road. (Yes, I know you think it is us on the wrong side)Can you all please get this Covid under control and we can all resume our normal lives!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
There seem to be some lovely houses and also neighbourhoods in Chicago. We have only ever had a night or two there on one of our earlier trips. We do not have enough of our old areas preserved and anything more than a hundred years old is really old here. Our suburbs are really quite ugly in parts. Fortunately clean and safe but too many power lines, total mish mash of styles.

Well it is very difficult to get visas to live in the US even if I wanted to. Fortunately I can afford Sydney but many people move to cheaper parts of the country. The real estate market for houses is booming here again after a bit of a downturn last year. Many off-market sales. Perhaps from the many expats returning home because of the pandemic.

Watching the video was making me long to go travelling again. Even though the first thing I noticed was that you drive on the wrong side of the road. (Yes, I know you think it is us on the wrong side)Can you all please get this Covid under control and we can all resume our normal lives!
Ha, you can maybe sell your place in Sydney and have enough to both buy a nice bungalow in Chicago, pay for the move, and get an investment visa and/or pay for grad school to come on a student visa.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:59 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
The US as a whole is not densely populated and does not have greenbelts like in Australia, so the cities sprawl and are not attractive.

The trade-off is that the average house is larger and cheaper.

I like the US situation because you can live somewhere with jobs and cheap housing, whereas in a lot of countries the only places with cheap housing also lack jobs. If you prefer to pay more for an urban setting in the US, you can.

I still think European cities are the most beautiful but those were developed centuries earlier than American cities. Development styles are converging worldwide so those picturesque European cities are not going to be duplicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World