Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Is A Better City To Live, London, U.K. or Los Angeles, California If You're AFFLUENT?
London, U.K. 35 46.67%
Los Angeles, California 31 41.33%
Both 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:55 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,323,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well obviously with money you can live well in both places...but I give the edge to London.

It's just has a much more exciting vibe.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 01:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 15,393,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
How so?
It' s more concentrated.

I'm trying to think of a street in LA that has the same amount of foot traffic than many places in London have.

The car is still king in LA.

In London you are much more likely to hop on the tube or walk, and therefore interacting with more people.

Almost every activity that I do in LA involves a car.

In London, for the most part, so much is right there.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:38 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,530,105 times
I'd prefer LA for the food....fresher (due to most produce grown locally) and better options for Asian, Mexican & vegan foods. More preferable topical geography (physical environment) as well. The downsides would be the amount of time it takes to get anywhere outside of your area, and I think I'd like the people in London better.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:07 PM

26,941 posts, read 13,180,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnesstwo View Post

The US routinely outranks the UK for infrastructure. That's one of the most backwards claims online. It seems like a line anti-American teenagers throw out because it sounds smart. Every measure of national and international infrastructure there is puts the US high atop the rankings.

I am not sure that the US as a whole outranks the UK, a country with fairly good infrastructure, especially in terms of transport and communications.

The US is a much larger country, so infrastructure is far more problematic especially in relation to rural areas.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:49 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,530,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am not sure that the US as a whole outranks the UK, a country with fairly good infrastructure, especially in terms of transport and communications.

The US is a much larger country, so infrastructure is far more problematic especially in relation to rural areas.
I'd have to agree. Our internet infrastructure in particular is horrible for a major country. Most of our limited options are expensive and low quality compared to Europe and Asia. Our roads and bridges, much which were built more than 50-60 years ago, are in poor shape and there isn't much political drive (other than lip service) to improve them.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM

73 posts, read 42,317 times
From a perspective of piston-head, this one is pretty tough.

1. Accessibility to tracks - Hands down London
Nordschleife (~800km) is enough to kill every tracks in the US combined. But there are also Brands Hatch (~40km), Silverstone (~100km), Donington Park (~200km), Spa-Francorchamps (~500km), Magny-Cours (~700km), Paul Ricard (~1,200km). Meanwhile, the closest track from Los Angeles is Willow Springs (~150km), which is not even comparable to any of tracks above. Thermal (~250km) is slightly better but still a no match. Laguna Seca (~500km) is the only comparable track close enough.

2. Oversea vehicle transportations (via flight) - London
Emirates and Etihad is one of the most prominent players in this industry (car transportation via flight), followed by other Middle Eastern carriers. They offers the most comprehensive package. London is close enough to those carrier's hub, while Los Angeles is not.

3. Parking infrastructures - Los Angeles
If I drive one of my low ground clearance cars to random destinations in the city (shops, restaurants, etc), I would prefer the parking infrastructures, roads, etc of Los Angeles than London whole lot much.

4. LHD vs RHD cars or LHT vs RHT roads - Los Angeles
I'm from one of the correct countries (LHD/RHT). Naturally, I don't like RHD cars nor LHT roads. There are LHD cars in London but the availability is slightly limited, hence Los Angeles.

5. Tuners, Detailers, etc - London
I would say London wins in this one. I also don't like CA gas.

6. Winding roads - Tie
Generally speaking, US roads are boring and no match to European winding roads. However, Los Angeles has some okay winding roads nearby, unlike the many places in the US. Also, I don't particularly like the B roads near London.

7. Weather - Hands down Los Angeles
+1 Los Angeles for being incomparably dry. Another +1 Los Angeles for being incomparably warm.

8. Housing - Los Angeles
You can't have 1 million sqft house on 100+ acre lot, located close to the prime area of London, even if you have several billion dollars. But that's still possible in Los Angeles. Although both are equally impossible for me, but for a VERY affluent person, I would say Los Angeles wins in this respect. It's very tough to keep 100+ vehicles in your London home, while that's relatively not much of a hassle in Los Angeles.

Overall, I would say London wins overall, because the gap in #1 is too big to overcome.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:17 AM

32 posts, read 18,594 times
Neither one.

One is a plastic suburb.

The other one is moribund ex-world city.

D move to Nice in la côte d'Azur or Marbella spain.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumm View Post
Neither one.

One is a plastic suburb.

The other one is moribund ex-world city.

D move to Nice in la côte d'Azur or Marbella spain.
London is a leading financial and tech city, with all kinds of investment and exciting projects.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:02 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,550,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London is a leading financial and tech city, with all kinds of investment and exciting projects.

That's just one of hundreds of Irene sockpuppet accounts. She hates everything to do with London.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
That's just one of hundreds of Irene sockpuppet accounts. She hates everything to do with London.

Thanks B87.

I was a bit suspicious when I initially read the comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World