Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Is A Better City To Live, London, U.K. or Los Angeles, California If You're AFFLUENT?
London, U.K. 35 46.67%
Los Angeles, California 31 41.33%
Both 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:02 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,128,096 times

Advertisements

London by a country mile. Better city, better people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 08:54 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,848,034 times
London? No way in hell. I won't live in a place with a horrible climate. And I know that it's a beautiful city with nice architecture, history, cultural and all. But its climate is a huge dealbreaker. Its amazing how so many people here are ignoring climatic factors here. The weather is very crucial.

I'd take Los Angeles and live in the Hills any day, as an affluent person. I may not like the smog, but I would enjoy the immense sunshine, the scrubby vegetation and the rugged landscape on the hills.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:23 AM

26,935 posts, read 13,160,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
London? No way in hell. I won't live in a place with a horrible climate. And I know that it's a beautiful city with nice architecture, history, cultural and all. But its climate is a huge dealbreaker. Its amazing how so many people here are ignoring climatic factors here. The weather is very crucial.

I'd take Los Angeles and live in the Hills any day, as an affluent person. I may not like the smog, but I would enjoy the immense sunshine, the scrubby vegetation and the rugged landscape on the hills.
London doesn't have a horrible climate, as that would be an extreme climate.

London like Paris has a moderate climate, with mild winters and cool summers.

The climate in NYC is more extreme, with far hotter and colder extremes, and the same is true of Chicago and many other northern US cities.

I the end comparing London and Los Angeles was not comparing two cities with much in common and as already stated there are other parts of Europe that have more in common with the California region.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
London, way better city in my opinion and since money is no problem if the rain bother's you, capri, Nice, Greece are all within a short comfortable flight
Los Angeles/Malibu has a Mediterranean climate. (Surprise, there are other places on earth that have the Mediterranean climate--like Coastal California, Australia, and Chile.) No need to fly to enjoy the weather!

Old 02-01-2021, 10:51 AM

26,935 posts, read 13,160,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Los Angeles/Malibu has a Mediterranean climate. (Surprise, there are other places on earth that have the Mediterranean climate--like Coastal California, Australia, and Chile.) No need to fly to enjoy the weather!
You can take the train to the South of France from London.

In terms of Michelin Restaurants, London and it's outskirts have as nearly many as the whole of California, and London has more five star luxury hotels than any other city in the world.

London has five three starred Michelin restaurants with a further two just outside London near Windsor, there are eight two star restaurants in London and fifty three one star restaurants.

In contrast Los Angeles has no three starred Michelin restaurants and only has one two starred Michelin restaurants with nine one starred Michelin restaurants.

The entire state of California has six three starred Michelin restaurants, twelve two starred Michelin restaurants and sixty two one starred Michelin restaurants.

Clare Smyth and Hélène Darroze celebrate three Michelin stars - The Guardian

Michelin Guide - Leading Restaurants UK

UK Michelin Guide 2021

Whilst London may not match Hollywood in terms of it's film industry it still has an impressive number of film studios and a growing film industry.

Answering this demand, broadcasters and streamers have been investing heavily in the UK, with Disney – home of the Marvel Cinematic Universe – in a decade-long deal that locks up most of Pinewood Studio’s capacity, Netflix building a permanent production hub at Shepperton Studios, and Sky building a vast new film and TV studio complex in Elstree. There is also plans for a major expansion at Twickenham Film Studios in west London.

Studios in and around London and the home counties include -

Pinewood Studios
Shepperton Studios
Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden
Longcross
Arborfield Studios
Black Hangar Studios
Cardington Studios
Elstree Studios
Fountain Studios, Wembley
3 Mills Studios
Ealing Studios
Twickenham Studios
West London Film Studios
Wimbledon Studios

Other Major Studios under construction in London and the Home Counties include -

Ashford film studios, Kent
Blackhall Studios, Reading
Dagenham Studios, East London
Troubadour Meridian Water Studios, North London
Sky Studios Elstree

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-01-2021 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-01-2021, 07:58 PM

11,990 posts, read 7,761,279 times
London over LA.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:26 AM

5 posts, read 3,092 times
It's really hard choice for me )

But I think it wiuld rather be LA

Old 02-02-2021, 01:37 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,848,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London doesn't have a horrible climate, as that would be an extreme climate.

London like Paris has a moderate climate, with mild winters and cool summers.

The climate in NYC is more extreme, with far hotter and colder extremes, and the same is true of Chicago and many other northern US cities.

I the end comparing London and Los Angeles was not comparing two cities with much in common and as already stated there are other parts of Europe that have more in common with the California region.
I am aware that London and Paris have a pretty similar climate. And I know that London doesn't have the worst climate in the world. NYC and Chicago also have pretty bad climates, especially the latter. But having a horrible climate doesn't mean cold and snow. London's inadequate sunshine hours seem rather grim to me. As someone who is prone to depression, I would be bothered by its frequent cloudy weather days (and yes, there are always cloudier cities, like Reykjavik, but this still doesn't make London sunny). Now I know that London is not that rainy, but it has the tendency to be overcast, especially in the winter. I really would find that bothersome. Each to their own I guess.

But all this has nothing on the city's architectural beauty, history, culture and heritage of course. Hell, London is probably the reason why we're all typing in English right now.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,905,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I am aware that London and Paris have a pretty similar climate. And I know that London doesn't have the worst climate in the world. NYC and Chicago also have pretty bad climates, especially the latter. But having a horrible climate doesn't mean cold and snow. London's inadequate sunshine hours seem rather grim to me. As someone who is prone to depression, I would be bothered by its frequent cloudy weather days (and yes, there are always cloudier cities, like Reykjavik, but this still doesn't make London sunny). Now I know that London is not that rainy, but it has the tendency to be overcast, especially in the winter. I really would find that bothersome. Each to their own I guess.

But all this has nothing on the city's architectural beauty, history, culture and heritage of course. Hell, London is probably the reason why we're all typing in English right now.
London Springs, Summers and Autumn's are really as sunny as most places, yes the winters are awfully sun-less BUT that's the only reason yearly totals are slightly less than some other cities further south also a London winter is much more preferable to anywhere in Northern or Eastern Europe unless you're a fan of freezing temperatures.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:01 AM

6,291 posts, read 11,844,053 times
London for sure especially in the 2020's. It's always been one of my favorite cities in the world and like with Seattle's climate, I'd rather have too much rain than not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World