Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 06:57 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

We definitely have them here in Quebec, Canada. They are a relatively small minority of the population but they have held marches with Quebec flags and also (of course ) American flags and Trump signage and stuff.

The police have issued fines (equivalent to about 1000 US dollars) to the protestors who do not respect public safety regulations.

Here is some video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGUGqnI50U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 04:57 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Pretty rare here. The first Covid wave was so brutal that everybody got scared.

Of course in the summer it was a lot more relaxed and most people did not wear mask outdoors (also considering how hot it gets), but since october it's mandatory outside at all times.

I can't wait to stop wearing it because I wear glasses when it's dark and I can't see anything with glasses and a mask together, so as a result I wear my glasses a lot less and I feel like my sight has worsened compared to one year ago :/

Old 01-09-2021, 07:38 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's a nationwide lock down, what do you expect.

People are being vaccinated and hopefully within a few months we can start the process to normality.

The alternative is a load of idiots spreading a virus which is now mutating, and may become increasingly difficult to vaccinate against if we are not careful.

Most countries in Europe are in a similar lockdown, as are many countries across the world.
Please ignore those people you were replying to @BraveNewWorld. Real Americans don't accept those Americans who are self-absorbed, ignorant and misinformed. More Americans than not respect the lockdown/mask measures. He does not represent us. Maybe a select few Boomers.. but other than that, he does not represent us.

I fully support New England, New York, New Jersey forming their own country or joining Canada. (Only partially joking)

Everyday is a battle to explain to my British/Israeli/Portuguese/Filipino, etc friends that Americans are not ignorant. But its increasingly an uphill battle.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:51 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
There are antimasks everywhere. And it would be surprising otherwise; it's a disruptive situation.

But we in Brazil have an aggravating situation. Not only we have anti-masks, but also lots and lots of anti-vaxxers, starting by the President himself. It sound unpatriotic, but sometimes I feel ashamed of being brazilian due to his clownish behaviour. He not only disencourages the use of masks, but he also tries to hamper every initiative to vaccine the people. His stubborness made him change the minister of health two times - both because they wanted to do what all of the rest the world is doing. The governors of the states (Brazil is a federation, like USA, Mexico and Germany) are those who really work. We only now have a national plan for vaccination, and this happened due to a decision of the Supreme Court.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
There are antimasks everywhere. And it would be surprising otherwise; it's a disruptive situation.

But we in Brazil have an aggravating situation. Not only we have anti-masks, but also lots and lots of anti-vaxxers, starting by the President himself. It sound unpatriotic, but sometimes I feel ashamed of being brazilian due to his clownish behaviour. He not only disencourages the use of masks, but he also tries to hamper every initiative to vaccine the people. His stubborness made him change the minister of health two times - both because they wanted to do what all of the rest the world is doing. The governors of the states (Brazil is a federation, like USA, Mexico and Germany) are those who really work. We only now have a national plan for vaccination, and this happened due to a decision of the Supreme Court.
That last part should make you proud to be a Brazilian. It's a shame that the antics of Trump are opaqing the division Bolsonaro is soeing in Brazil. At least it shows that your institutions are still working. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:47 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Victoria was the first Australian state to mandate masks, after their second wave months ago. They still have mask requirements and there have been small protests. Then here in Sydney we had indoor masks mandated only a week ago in order to control a new cluster. I would say the wearing went from about 20% or less last weekend to nearly 100% on Monday. There was a little protest of a few dozen people but almost everyone has been very compliant. Now it is Brisbane’s turn. They had a single case escape from a quarantine hotel, but of the newer UK strain. They are in the middle of a three day lockdown and have to wear masks inside and out. I have not heard of any protests.

Melbourne was in lockdown for nearly four months and the rest of us will do almost anything to avoid that.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
......They are a relatively small minority of the population .....
I wish I could say the same thing here in Manitoba. It seems like many people here think covid is a hoax and that the government restrictions are not necessary, even though we have the second highest death rate from covid in the country. Poeple continue to break them. We had the highest % rate of covid infections for a long time. So we are definitely not in step with the rest of Canada. Right wing ideology and media, specially from the US has unfortunately been extremely influential here during this pandemic.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:26 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
That is not true. There are no anti-maskers in East Asia. They only exist in the West. The Covid case and death numbers reflect that.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:43 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That is not true. There are no anti-maskers in East Asia. They only exist in the West. The Covid case and death numbers reflect that.
I know that the use of masks in East Asia is much more widespread than in the West, but... in that already long term pandemics, really, nobody is protesting against this? It seems me surprising...

Old 01-10-2021, 01:13 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I know that the use of masks in East Asia is much more widespread than in the West, but... in that already long term pandemics, really, nobody is protesting against this? It seems me surprising...

There is a fairly prominent anti-vaccination movement in Japan and Taiwan as far as I know, but probably not quite as massive as in the US and probably backwash from the US. However, the anti-masking bit isn't so prominent because so many people have previously had experience with wearing masks prior to covid that people don't see it as a great danger and certainly there aren't people en masse who believe that the masks are going to produce negative health outcomes for them.

The other thing is that for the most part, a lot of the East Asian countries (well, Japan, China, Taiwan, and South Korea; don't know how North Korea and Mongolia are doing) have seen relatively good success with dealing with the coronavirus and can very apparently see that many other countries are having a terrible time with the coronavirus in comparison so it doesn't make as much sense for people to be attracted to the policies and the mayhem that those other countries are experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World