Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 02:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicinterest View Post
So you’re comparing states now? Which are usually on a different scale to cities.

I guess the difference here would be “cultural” vs ethnic.

For one, India has greater regional diversity, but it’s not diverse in an ethnic or international sense.
The US has only one official language de facto (de facto because it is not stated in law).

India, China etc. have multiple regional official languages, plus one or more national official language(s).
Switzerland is a tiny country but it has four official languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 06:00 AM

63 posts, read 55,370 times
Without bringing up any of the politics or often-discussed controversies involved in the country, I've found the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to be the most diverse place I've been in terms of ethnicity and national origin. It's amazing the amount of Indians, Filipinos, and Europeans who have more friends in and closer ties to that country than to their countries of origin. It is home to a lot of multi-ethnic, multi-national, multi-religious families that could be considered either "stateless" or "world citizens" depending on your perspective. That country's government is also expanding its policy on religious diversity (within certain limits). And there are certain aspects of diversity (which I'll get to next) that are not well-represented in that country for predictable legal and cultural reasons, and for which the United States has an advantage.

In terms of other aspects of diversity like sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and disability status, going back to the USA: the USA is one of the places in the world where those aspects of diversity are better represented and in most large cities you will find an accepting community for your sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or disability. More anti-discrimination legislation and policy is in place than in much of the rest of the world (not that this prevents complex legal, workplace, and interpersonal conflicts, especially ones where there is an aspect of discrimination or harassment involved on the part of most/all parties involved). However, the USA is a large country and it depends on where you are. There are absolutely parts of the United States where, even if a particular demographic group is well-represented, it's at least frowned upon to be outside the assumed default of white, protestant, heterosexual, etc.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:45 AM

27,562 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
India, China etc. have multiple regional official languages, plus one or more national official language(s).
India has nearly constant political, religious and sectarian unrest. It has multiple news media that are mouthpieces of rival political parties. It is also not exactly on friendly terms with neighboring countries.

These diverse countries with over 1 billion people sure are interesting human experiments.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,290 times
India has 11 languages with more than 30 million native speakers, and uses 12 different writing scripts (including Latin script for English and the variation of Arab script for Urdu). TWELVE!!!

Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
India has 11 languages with more than 30 million native speakers, and uses 12 different writing scripts (including Latin script for English and the variation of Arab script for Urdu). TWELVE!!!
China has quite a few official scripts too:
Chinese characters: standard Chinese and all Chinese dialects
Arabic script: Uyghur, Kazakh, etc.
Tibetan script: Tibetan etc.
Mongolian script: Mongolian etc.
Korean script: Korean
Dai script: Dai
Yi script: Yi
Latin: Zhuang etc.
... ...

The bank notes have 5 scripts.
(Note: Kazakhstan and Mongolia use Cyril script, but in China ethnic Kazakhs use Arabic script and ethnic Mongols use traditional Mongolian script.)

Old 03-06-2021, 10:04 AM

30 posts, read 20,753 times
According to research done by Harvard and Berkeley the most diverse country in the world is Papua New Guinea.

The Us is like 56 amongst 198 or something countries.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:31 PM

153 posts, read 110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketban View Post
Boston and Houston have more differences between each other than Beijing or Shanghai or Hong Kong. Your comments come across as extremely unaware.
These three cities speak entirely different languages, even. I can't understand how someone slightly informed about the subject could say this seriously. Houston and Boston are quite different, and the US has a lot more geographic and cultural difference than some other Western countries like say, Canada or Sweden, but places like India and China are pretty untouchable when it comes to how different certain places in a country can be while still remaining the same country. Hong Kong and Beijing are different enough to the point where people cannot relate or understand each other when speaking to each other. There are different, legal systems, foods, etc., and not just "regional versions of the same food", I mean completely different cuisines entirely, like Italian vs. German cuisine.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:58 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,838 times
As everytime I read "America" and "country" in the same sentence, my eyes bleed

Old 05-21-2021, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
As everytime I read "America" and "country" in the same sentence, my eyes bleed
I would seriously get over this.

Absolutely breathtaking that anti-Americanism is so egregious that you have people prioritizing a super continental designation in some crazy attempt to deprive Americans of a demonym and national identity. Get over it. You’re Argentinian. Not American. No one is referring to the entire America’s when referring to “Americans”. Stay mad. Seriously, stop this attention-seeking nonsense.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The US has only one official language de facto (de facto because it is not stated in law).

Switzerland is a tiny country but it has four official languages.
I prioritize ethnic and racial identity. I don’t care about languages when discussing diversity. If the criteria was linguistic diversity, that would be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World