Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 01:16 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times

Advertisements

Definitely felt more discomfort regarding heat and humidity in the Yucatan peninsula than I did on the Atlantic side of Dominican Republic. I think the latter is the best presented option thus far especially if being right by the sea in a breezier/slightly cooler environment is the priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 01:33 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
The trade winds is the reason why the tropical heat is moderated in much of the DR. This is also the reason why how it actually is will not be as expected based on climate reports. Those trade winds (which are high in the atmosphere and come in an eastward to southwest direction) do make a difference. Of course, if the winds are blocked by high mountains then tough luck, you might as well be on the surface of the sun. lol

Several islands in the Caribbean have the benefit of these trade winds, but not so much in Central America. Hence, at the same latitudes of these islands it will feel hotter and more humid in the Central American coast, including the Yucatsn peninsula of Mexico.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 20,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The trade winds is the reason why the tropical heat is moderated in much of the DR. This is also the reason why how it actually is will not be as expected based on climate reports. Those trade winds (which are high in the atmosphere and come in an eastward to southwest direction) do make a difference. Of course, if the winds are blocked by high mountains then tough luck, you might as well be on the surface of the sun. lol

Several islands in the Caribbean have the benefit of these trade winds, but not so much in Central America. Hence, at the same latitudes of these islands it will feel hotter and more humid in the Central American coast, including the Yucatsn peninsula of Mexico.
That makes sense! I read that the south / eastern islands such as Dominica, St. Lucia and Barbados experience constantly strong trade winds. Do you have any experience with these islands vs the ones in Central America?

Old 01-30-2021, 02:04 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
How about Bermuda? Even though it is thought of as a "tropical island" it isn't even close. It's about 500 miles east of Charleston, SC.

The Bahamas are also above the Caribbean. The northern Bahamas from Nassau/Paradise Island and above are off of Florida's South East coast.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:18 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGotty View Post
That makes sense! I read that the south / eastern islands such as Dominica, St. Lucia and Barbados experience constantly strong trade winds. Do you have any experience with these islands vs the ones in Central America?
The trades are pretty much constant East/Northeast in the Caribbean. ( blows from the east/NE direction towards the West/SW. Occasionally the remnents of a strong front might come and the direction will change but the next day they'll be back from the NE. Pretty much why they are called trade winds as vessels can count on the direction they are blowing to plan their routs.

I spent a couple of years on the coast of Venezuela and did quite a bit of traveling around the Caribbean leaving from FL going to Venezuela or Panama and onward and once you clear the Bahamas to head east towards the DR/PR to go to Ven or south towards the windward pass between Cuba and Haiti and on to Panama via Jamaica you pick up the trades.

And BTW, the trades don't help the heat as it's still hot as %^&$#, but I personally like it! But it doesn't do too much to cool off as the sea breeze does in S. FL!

Old 01-30-2021, 06:31 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGotty View Post
Very good recommendation! I actually was there a couple months ago and think it definitely ticks the weather box. Unfortunately while I think the beaches are quite nice, there don't really have the "tropical beach looks" like https://odis.homeaway.com/odis/desti...223909.hw5.jpg

The perfect spot for me would have the weather of Noosa combined with beaches like the one in the link. However, I don't think such a spot exists :/
No, you are looking for tropical vegetation in a sub-tropical climate. In Australia you have the vegetation in places in the far north, such as Palm Cove and Port Douglas, accompanied by a hot wet season, an inability to swim safely in the ocean and even presence of crocodiles.

You will find the palm trees further south on Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays but they have been planted.

In Sydney most palms are introduced and are a pest. They are one of the few trees we can remove without permission.

Would I be justified in suggesting that people enjoy the natural vegetation of a region rather than introduced species.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:48 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Bavaro Beach in the Dominican Republic.
The OP clearly said "without extreme heat and humidity". Punta Cana is the epitome of that.

I'd say the coast of Peru, which are in the tropics but have mild to warm weather all year round with no extremes. Although there is barely any rainfall there and I don't think they have white beaches.

Other good suggestion was Hyams Beach in the south NSW coast, which has fine white sand, turquoise waters and mild weather all year round that supports tropical vegetation (besides coconut palms).

Old 01-30-2021, 08:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
The OP clearly said "without extreme heat and humidity". Punta Cana is the epitome of that.
When did you go?

Old 01-30-2021, 09:25 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You must be referring to a Punta Cana in another dimension. A perfect example would be Orlando, Florida at the height of summer. Punta Cana never feels as hot or as humid as there and Orlando is further north! Anyome that wants extreme heat andd humidity can go there for like seven months of the year.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:28 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
When did you go?
Uh what? You don't have to go to a place to know its climate or "feel" what its climate would be like. Punta Cana has a warm to hot tropical humid climate. I have felt such temperatures. I don't have to feel them in Punta Cuna per se. It's also pervasively sunny. I'm pretty sure it will be very hot for many. Let's look at its climate statistics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_Cana#Climate

Quote:
You must be referring to a Punta Cana in another dimension. A perfect example would be Orlando, Florida at the height of summer. Punta Cana never feels as hot or as humid as there and Orlando is further north! Anyome that wants extreme heat andd humidity can go there for like seven months of the year.
Orlando has higher averages for sure in the height of summer, but this doesn't mean that Punta Cana is mild all year round. You can clearly see above in the climate box that PC is warm to hot and as well as humid all year round. The humidity will always make it feel more "extreme" than it is. And this applies to any humid tropical climate.

Besides, PC is beautiful and many people enjoy tropical climates. But the place just doesn't apply to this thread's criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World