Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 01:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times

Advertisements

Haha Funny sketch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 01:39 PM

Supergrass

Oasis

The Charlatans

Old 02-08-2021, 02:38 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I don’t understand the question. Oasis, Radiohead, and Spice Girls were an indelible part of the 90s pop culture world in the US. Others had a few of their hit songs translate over. Jamiroquai seemed to take over MTV one summer. Take That’s “Back for Good” was everywhere on the radio when it came out, and Verve dominated the airwaves with “Bittersweet Symphony”.

Beyond that though, it should be noted that there was a divergence in musical tastes across the pond. If anything it was British nationalism on some scale at play. While America wallowed in the Puget Sound, British artists steered clear of grunge and postgrunge by and large. While Britpop led that country into a rousing chorus of Cool Britannia, America’s market was too diversified and large for it to be much more than it was, a small piece of a large pie. Radiohead had a large following, Metallica had a bigger one.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:27 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
From Soul to Jungle to Rock to Britpop, the 90's was a defining moment in cool Britania and British music.

Why was the success largely only Europe-wide with little impact in Canada & Aus and hardly none in tge he US until much later with small cult followings cropping up.

The lack of acceptance was especially true for Black British artists. Did the UK change too much from its stereotypical image that the world just turned its back? I would be interested in hearing some theories.
I don’t know about other parts of Canada, but in the 90’s it was widely stated that Toronto was one of the biggest Jungle/D&B cities outside London. Delirium, Syrous when they first brought Kenny Ken over...the scene got huge, with some great production companies. In the late-90’s, big jams with British DJs like Nicky Blackmarket, Mickey Finn, Kenny Ken, Congo Natty, and MCs like Skibadee, Shabba, Stevie Hyper D, Navi, and others could bring in crowds of thousands for a single party. Toronto also had its own Jungle scene, with well-known DJs like Marcus, Tommy Illfinga, Lush, Medicine Muffin, and so on. There was an underground scene in small clubs, which is mostly what I was into, and the big party scene where attendance of 10,000 on a Saturday night wasn’t unusual. Not only that, but you could catch Jungle/D&B DJs pretty much every night of the week at clubs that catered almost exclusively to the scene.

The thing is, it didn’t last long. The scene lasted from like 91-2001, but only got huge around 97. Between house, techno, and Jungle/D&B, Jungle/D&B was king of the hill for two or three years, between maybe 98 and 2001. Then the scene changed, the music changed, the clubs kind of disappeared, and that was it. Some of my best memories are of hitting raves and clubs in the mid-late 90’s, many with British headliners.

Here’s an anthem I remember well:

DJ Stretch and New Blood - Worries in the Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fVWtQ7ChvM

And an absolute classic. Acen - Life and Crimes of a Ruffneck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0cvJ8ScfQw

Btw, how do I make these links big, w/ the image like the ones you posted above?

Last edited by TOkidd; 02-08-2021 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 07:35 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Nearly every artist you have posted has had significant hits in Australia, and some are massive here: Robbie Williams, Oasis most notably of those you listed.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:29 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I decided to do some wiki-diving on some of this. Interesting factoid, one of the most known songs in America out of Britain during the decade, “Champagne Supernova”, wasn’t released as a single over there. We didn’t even consume a band as popular as Oasis in the same way.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Mostly because Britpop -- just as the name implies -- was part of a broader domestic-focused cultural movement and not just a detached musical genre, similar to how the "Madchester"-era bands that preceded Britpop were strongly tied to the "Northern working-class chic" cultural phenomenon that just didn't translate the same way outside the UK.

Even still, some had broad success across the Anglosphere, Oasis and Blur being the most obvious examples.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
There is lots of good music in almost every country, and I'm not talking about Sony's World Beat crap. Why is everyone sleeping through that?

Old 02-10-2021, 09:08 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I'm wondering if any North American or ozzy/kiwi forum member have ever heard any of this music before? Especially acts like Eternal, Craig David, Stereophonics, Blur, East 17, the Verve or Gabrielle who were absolutely massive in the UK!
of course they have , both australia and New Zealand have always be more in touch with British artists than americans have ,the UK , australia , new zealand and ireland are in the same sphere musically and culturally , Westlife ( truly awful band ) were big in both Australia and New Zealand , they are unheard of in America

acts like Oasis and especially Blur were quite english and when an act is " too english " , it often struggles to " break america "

Robbie Williams never broke America , he too was - is very english , im not a fan of his BTW

i like the music of the 1980,s but it had a pretty generic sound which was easily acceptable to americans or anyone else , Britpop had a much quirkier vibe which didnt as easily cross the atlantic

Old 02-10-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Nearly every artist you have posted has had significant hits in Australia, and some are massive here: Robbie Williams, Oasis most notably of those you listed.
I think Aus and NZ did have a much more receptive market to Brit 90's music even black groups like the Honeyz did something there. Same was conversely true with acts like Kylie Minogue, Savage Garden, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Andre, etc. that did nothing in the US with the exception of Silverchair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World