U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,779,462 times

Advertisements

I've been always fascinated by that "corner"of the world and was wondering from people that have stayed an extended period of time in them how would you rank in terms of:

Friendliness:
Cool factor:
Scenery:
More diverse:
value(best bang for the money):
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 10:31 AM

7,385 posts, read 8,078,757 times
I've only been in Malaysia for extended periods of time. Visited Japan and Korea twice each, but for one week or less each time. Also, I don't really consider these to be the same corner of the world. Japan/Korea certainly group together, and if you want a third I include Taiwan. Malaysia is much more closely connected to Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore.

Friendliness: I don't know. I pretty much find friendly people everywhere I go...I'd only be able to rank if there was one extreme or the other. In this case I find all three countries to be quite good.

Cool factor: All of em? Japan and Korea have been very trendy in social media the past couple years. Malaysia as well but not to the same degree...however I'd say Malaysia is very high for under-the-radar, indie kinda scenes and crowds. Especially since it is the cheap option

Scenery: Hmm...they all have great scenic options.

More diverse: Malaysia

value(best bang for the money): Malaysia by far

Old 02-04-2021, 05:44 PM

3,815 posts, read 2,309,173 times
Long story short: Japan, unless you want a "Japan but with Christianity and colder" (Korea). Longer answer:

Koreans are better at English, at least according to some folk (not me) you'd encounter more 24/7 stores in Seoul, their writing system is easier compared to the 3 used in Japanese...one of which the so called Kanji is especially difficult.

The Japanese are also weirder at convos, expect a lot of "eeeee?" and "hai?", "so deska?", if I spoke Korean who knows maybe it's similar. Also just like the UK - Japan drives on the left and has right ster. wheel, while Korea is just like in Europe + Japan has a fetish for old black taxis.

In terms of diversity: Japan? It's unlikely to walk for 10 mins in Shinjuku, Akihabara, Ginza or any central place without seeing an obvious foreigner (white or black), I may add more later...as to Malaysia - no idea sorry, I bet it's a great country and hope to visit one day.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

16,515 posts, read 17,437,009 times
Friendliness - all about the same.
Cool factor - Japan
Scenery = Japan, especially the countryside away from the big cities. Take the bullet train if you are there and travel between the big cities, you’ll see what I mean.
More diverse - Malaysia
Value - Malaysia. Tokyo and South Korea are pretty expensive.

My favorite of the three are Japan, especially the cities of Osaka and Tokyo. Great cities, and things to do. As mentioned, South Korea and Japan are somewhat similar. Malaysia is similar to Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I've been always fascinated by that "corner"of the world and was wondering from people that have stayed an extended period of time in them how would you rank in terms of:

Friendliness:
Cool factor:
Scenery:
More diverse:
value(best bang for the money):

Old Today, 03:54 AM

153 posts, read 34,667 times
I agree with the poster who said that Malaysia is not really the same 'corner' of the world as Korea and Japan - I think of SE Asia and NE Asia as being pretty distinct. That said, I have been to all three countries, so here's my thoughts:

Friendliness: I found the people in all three places pretty friendly. In my personal experience, people in Japan were the most willing to go out of their way to help out when I was looking lost. Found Malaysians to be the most blunt - but because English is so much more widespread in Malaysia than the other two countries, I also found interactions there the easiest.

Cool factor: Tricky one, since I don't know exactly what you mean by this. Do you mean which country's pop culture has then most appeal among people in the US (or the West in general)? Traditionally that would be Japan, whose video game, anime and manga culture have had a huge following in the West for several decades. Recently, though, Korea is becoming more prominent, and K-pop music has become far more popular in the West than J-pop ever was. Also both Japanese and Korean brands have pretty big name recognition and some brands in particular are considered 'cool'. As for Malaysia - I don't think the average American could name a single Malaysia brand, singer, TV show, cartoon or movie. I think Japan would take this one, followed by Korea, with Malaysia a very very very distant third. (On the other hand, Japan (followed closely by Korea) would probably come first in 'uncool factor' too - since there are a lot of young people in America who think Japanese (and Korean) pop culture is extremely uncool, and it is generally NOT the coolest kids in school who are into anime and K-pop.)

Scenery: Korea does pretty well for such a small and densely populated country, but it can't really compare with the other two. Out of Malaysia and Japan, I'd probably pick Japan, because it has a greater diversity of landscapes and climates, and more seasonal variation. Malaysia does have some amazing scenery though, particularly on Borneo.

More diverse: Well, you didn't say what type of diversity, but since this is City Data, I will assume you mean ethnic/racial/cultural diversity. Malaysia, and absolutely no contest. Japan and Korea are famously homogenous countries (although this can be sometimes overstated - they both do have small but growing immigrant populations, and Japan has ethnically distinct indigenous populations; nevertheless, by global standards, they are extremely homogenous). Malaysia on the other hand, is a truly multicultural country with Malays, Chinese, Indians and a number of non-Malay indigenous peoples all having sizable populations.

Value(best bang for the money): Easily Malaysia. Then Korea. Then Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World