Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
New York City 12 36.36%
Tokyo 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 01:52 AM

153 posts, read 110,285 times

Advertisements

Tokyo absolutely. It isn't my favourite city in Japan because of the ridiculous amount of people in lines at every venue, but I think it is the best big city in the world for the relatively cheap rent and high income compared to other world cities, especially regarding NYC's astronomical living costs (obviously doesn't come into account for this though). Safety, convenience, cleanliness, and other factors are much better in Tokyo. Each district is pretty varying and the diversity and food choices are underrated I feel; there are more options and ethnic neighbourhoods than a lot of people give it credit for. Obviously not as much as NYC or London or whatever, but still enough to not be a monoculture. There is a place for everyone there, you can even take the train directly to the beach, or hiking places in the mountains without a soul in sight.

New York has better food options and diversity by far and is "prettier" in my opinion. Also, because it wasn't flattened during the war, it has a lot more historical architecture, famous places, bigger cultural events, etc. It also has a better waterfront and museums I would say. A lot more development is going on in NYC in a large amount of areas, Tokyo only has a few areas with large projects (Shibuya, Yaesu, and Toranomon). With a much easier to learn language and more open -to-foreign influences, I can see NYC being easier to adapt and integrate to long-term for immigrants. However, NYC has a more dirty, dangerous, and "wild" vibe to it, with some areas being pretty..unpleasant with dirtiness, interesting characters, rats, and homelessness that doesn't really exist anywhere in Japan.

With that said, I would say Tokyo absolutely, but New York is still one of the best cities in the world. It's more of personal preference. One is more "calm" and pleasant, and one is more "exciting".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 08:09 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
How much money?

Is it enough for me to structurally change things in NYC? I think one of NYC's issues is that it sends a huge amount of money to the feds, but gets a very small amount of it back in federal spending (this also happens to a lesser extent with state taxes and spending) and that ratio is far worse for NYC than the vast majority of the US. If you're talking about me having enough money to reverse some of that, then NYC. Japan's tax system is much more evenly applied and there's a fixed flat province (like our states) level income tax that is the same across all provinces that the province can use however it sees fit.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:12 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How much money?

Is it enough for me to structurally change things in NYC? I think one of NYC's issues is that it sends a huge amount of money to the feds, but gets a very small amount of it back in federal spending (this also happens to a lesser extent with state taxes and spending) and that ratio is far worse for NYC than the vast majority of the US. If you're talking about me having enough money to reverse some of that, then NYC. Japan's tax system is much more evenly applied and there's a fixed flat province (like our states) level income tax that is the same across all provinces that the province can use however it sees fit.
Yeah when I think about how inconsistent NYC is, I think NYS and the Federal Govt shaft in how much it gets in aid and assistance. Not the best city, but they make it work.

If NYC actually received what it gives I wonder what we would see.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:52 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
NYC. I prefer not to live somewhere with a monolithic culture, and while the cleanliness and lack of crime/aggression is appealing, I think the culture of conformity, corporatization and *ahem* celibacy would get old after awhile in Tokyo.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:08 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah when I think about how inconsistent NYC is, I think NYS and the Federal Govt shaft in how much it gets in aid and assistance. Not the best city, but they make it work.

If NYC actually received what it gives I wonder what we would see.

Me, too. London, Tokyo, and Paris all very directly get to see the fruits of their economic productivity a lot more directly. It's wild what NYC gets in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
NYC. I prefer not to live somewhere with a monolithic culture, and while the cleanliness and lack of crime/aggression is appealing, I think the culture of conformity, corporatization and *ahem* celibacy would get old after awhile in Tokyo.

NYC is certainly much more diverse, but I think something to realize is that Tokyo is very populous and dense, and so despite percentage-wise there being a large amount of conformity, the absolute numbers for different subcultures as well as non-Japanese residents is actually really large compared to the vast majority of the planet (half a million foreign residents in just the city limits of Tokyo and not including tourists, visitors or non-Japanese with citizenship which is the size). You also most certainly do not need to be celibate in Tokyo--you can have an absolute ****fest if that really was what you wanted.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:11 AM

603 posts, read 573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Let's say you're well off and have a guaranteed visa to live and work in the US or Japan. Would you rather live in NYC or Tokyo, and why?
Tokyo.

Much of New York City is a dirty, crime infested, third world city with crumbling infrastructure populated by rude people.

In fact, there are any number of cities around the world that I'd prefer to live in over New York.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:41 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Tokyo.

Much of New York City is a dirty, crime infested, third world city with crumbling infrastructure populated by rude people.

In fact, there are any number of cities around the world that I'd prefer to live in over New York.
The problem with the United States is that there are too many bastard children in this country. That is the root of so many societal problems.

We need to get our moral compass back.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:11 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Both are world class cities and I enjoy both. Living in Tokyo for me would be something I would definitely like to try. I’ve been to Tokyo many times, so I know the culture, but there would still be some major adjustments needed to get accustomed to living there.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:46 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Oy normally the answer is NYC no brainer. But I dunno, I'd be perfectly happy in Tokyo as well if money is no concern. And in fact, given the current circumstances and the fact my family is ready and anxious to move to Asia soon, I'd probably pull the trigger on Tokyo right now. The only thing I would add is if this is a question about permanent, rest of my life, where I couldn't ever move to the other further down the line, then I'll take NYC. I must live in NYC at times in the future. I'd be ok if I never live in Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World