Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 03:35 PM

2,861 posts, read 2,781,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Explain the popularity of K-Pop culture then.
Lady Gaga and Beyonce are also globally popular. Does that logically mean the U.S. is also popular?

I've met tons of Europeans who consume 6 hours of American culture (music + TV + cinema) daily yet have an irrational hatred of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 04:46 PM

302 posts, read 127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Am I the only who suspects OP meant to say "likED" but ended up with "likeable"? I'd understand 'likeable' as someone who is easy to be liked: Neil Degrasse Tyson, Dalai Lama, Obama etc while "liked" is someone who is just liked per se, aka: British soccer hooligans just 'cause they're English but not because people like Liverpool/alcoholism etc.
Yes, that seems to be the case. Most of the early posters stated which countries' people they personally found likeable (friendly etc) but the OP seems to want to know about what countries' people have the best reputation as likeable.

I would still say the OP is a bit off in his assessment of the question even by what he seems to be asking. For example, it's true there are stereotypes of Irish and jokes about the Irish in the UK, but for the most part British people think very highly of the Irish.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,383,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not at all, don't confuse political narratives with ordinary people's opinion.
Except pretty much ordinary people in China totally love CPP narratives so there is absolutely no reason to separate the two.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:02 AM

14,823 posts, read 11,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicinterest View Post
Likely, if you point out the amount of American culture they consume, they'll hardly recognize it as American And then they'll get really mad trying to insist that all American culture is actually European culture and they always owned it and we're culturally irrelevant anyways.

And then, of course, we're the arrogant ones.
Pot, Kettle lol

Old 02-19-2021, 07:11 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,987,503 times
Quote:
the amount of American culture they consume...

Certainly not a huge amount in 2021 (well maybe in 1993, sure), since these days going to a cinema is bordering science fiction and at home people watch movies from their own countries or Kdramas or what not, this leaves American music (very unpopular unless you consider niche markets like hiphop or metal) and what - video games (the most anticipated game this year being Polish), as to books: I haven't read american author in ages. Basically - if you don't like eminem - you dead .

Old 02-19-2021, 06:20 PM

2,861 posts, read 2,781,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Certainly not a huge amount in 2021 (well maybe in 1993, sure), since these days going to a cinema is bordering science fiction and at home people watch movies from their own countries or Kdramas or what not, this leaves American music (very unpopular unless you consider niche markets like hiphop or metal) and what - video games (the most anticipated game this year being Polish), as to books: I haven't read american author in ages. Basically - if you don't like eminem - you dead .
Hip hop is a niche market? It, and Pop, are the two biggest global genres - and the U.S. dominates in both, though it shares Pop with Koreans, sure. And Eminem? What is this, 2003?

Just because you purposefully avoid American culture just so you can crow about how 'European' you are doesn't mean everyone else is as equally myopic. I got my Master's in Italy and studied in Madrid as well. My European classmates knew more Simpsons references than I did.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:48 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,463,253 times
Quote:
Likely, if you point out the amount of American culture they consume, they'll hardly recognize it as American And then they'll get really mad trying to insist that all American culture is actually European culture and they always owned it and we're culturally irrelevant anyways.

And then, of course, we're the arrogant ones.
It’s a form of insecurity. Since the United States is practically present nearly everywhere on some level, there’s a certain level of overexposure to all things American. That’s why, in some circles, there’s an attempt at a pushback, comical as it might be. I’m Canadian and I know all too well about it.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:12 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,342,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Colombians - No. Venezuelans, Panamanians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians all consider them stuck up
LOL Venezuelans calling other people stuck up is laughable. To say that is like a pot calling the kettle black would be a major understatement.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:30 AM

14,690 posts, read 9,655,360 times
I'm an America from the south and travel quite a bit. Kiwi's come to mind... New Zealanders. Ticos aka Costa Ricans, both smallish countries with lots of tourism. Iceland was nice too.

Rude countries... Jordanians weren't very nice, I didn't like machines guns pointed at me. Greeks couldn't be bothered, seemed distant... although the Greeks in the US are a hoot, and great to be around.

I have to add... always seems different when you get away from the usual tourist spots. I usually get along with everyone I meet... although it maybe my wife. lol

Old 02-22-2021, 09:42 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,207,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Canadians - No. Have a reputation for being fake nice, smug and passive aggressive.
Dominicans - No. Lots of Caribbeans dislike them (especially Black Caribbeans, and especially Haitians)
Colombians - No. Venezuelans, Panamanians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians all consider them stuck up
Brazilians - I'll go with yes.
Irish - No, the British have tons of stereotypes. Good reputation within the EU though.
Thais - Yes
Filipinos - Yes
Koreans - No, they have a stuck up reputation and are considered incredibly arrogant and self-obsessed
Japanese - Broadly, yes, but lots of enemies in Asia due to past sins (especially to Chinese/Koreans)
Australians - Broadly yes, though Chinese hate them now.
Oh please! Get off your high horse! Notice how nobody is saying Americans, lol. Take a look in the mirror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World