Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2021, 04:00 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
26,918 posts, read 13,138,568 times
Reputation: 19158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I’m a born and raised Londoner, but I’m inclined to agree with you.
I love my city, and I’m proud to call it home, but I get such a buzz out of NYC, whether it’s visiting friends on Long Island, or getting off the subway at 14th St / Union Square, walking across Union Sq Park, up Broadway, past the Flatiron Building to Madison Sq Park, it’s all good, and there’s always something to see, or a good bar to spend some happy time in.
NYC is great for visiting, indeed visiting and exploring big cities is exciting.

Whether I would want to live in NYC is however a different matter, as it has a number of down sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2021, 06:45 PM
 
Location: London U.K.
2,587 posts, read 1,576,325 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
NYC is great for visiting, indeed visiting and exploring big cities is exciting.

Whether I would want to live in NYC is however a different matter, as it has a number of down sides.
I didn’t say that I’d like to live there, because as much as being in NYC can be a rush, I’ve frozen my n*ts off there too many times between November and April/May.
I used to think that if I could pull it off, I’d like to live somewhere between Sarasota FL and Naples FL, but inland a bit, maybe around Lake Wales, but I think that if I was a bit younger I could go for Savannah GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2021, 01:13 AM
 
2,969 posts, read 1,951,385 times
Reputation: 1077
Both cities are awesome and are the leaders in global commerce… not much point in comparing them…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
792 posts, read 449,622 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think the concept of the Metropolitan Greenbelt is different to upstate greenery, and NYC does have greater urban sprawl especially in relation to North Jersey and Connecticut.

However the green belt does not mean that London doesn't have a significant metro area and metro population, although the Home Counties are generally suburban with some major towns.

Metropolitan Green Belt - Wikipedia
No - in my post I mentioned those areas are protected from development (i.e. little to no development), which is essentially a "greenbelt." Let's not let semantics get in the way of the same function. London is not special here per my post (I went to uni in London and studied urban development so you'll not engaging with a novice here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
26,918 posts, read 13,138,568 times
Reputation: 19158
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
No - in my post I mentioned those areas are protected from development (i.e. little to no development), which is essentially a "greenbelt." Let's not let semantics get in the way of the same function. London is not special here per my post (I went to uni in London and studied urban development so you'll not engaging with a novice here).
London and British cities have green belts surrounding them, where as New York often has a lot of urban sprawl, which is usually presented as having a larger metro area.

I except that New York has more urban sprawl then London, however the concept of a green belt is very different and this is especially true in relation to the urban metro areas, which have been discussed on numerous threads.

The fact that you have studied urban development does make any difference, as New York and London have very different patterns of urban sprawl and if you go back to earlier in the thread, there is a list of urban corridors and places such as Newark etc in relation to NYC.

On the one hand you are suggesting that NYC has the massive green belt, and on the other it's been suggested that New York has this vast urban sprawl, which constitutes a mighty metro area.

THE EVOLVING URBAN FORM: GREATER NEW YORK EXPANDS - New Geography

In terms of London it's fairly green to start and is made of 40% public green space, including 3,000 parks amounting to over 35,000 acres, and on top of that you have green belt in the home counties, which are very suburban.

Parks and open spaces in London - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-03-2021 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 05:11 PM
 
Location: In the heights
36,918 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Reputation: 20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London and British cities have green belts surrounding them, where as New York often has a lot of urban sprawl, which is usually presented as having a larger metro area.

I except that New York has more urban sprawl then London, however the concept of a green belt is very different and this is especially true in relation to the urban metro areas, which have been discussed on numerous threads.

The fact that you have studied urban development does make any difference, as New York and London have very different patterns of urban sprawl and if you go back to earlier in the thread, there is a list of urban corridors and places such as Newark etc in relation to NYC.

On the one hand you are suggesting that NYC has the massive green belt, and on the other it's been suggested that New York has this vast urban sprawl, which constitutes a mighty metro area.

THE EVOLVING URBAN FORM: GREATER NEW YORK EXPANDS - New Geography

In terms of London it's fairly green to start and is made of 40% public green space, including 3,000 parks amounting to over 35,000 acres, and on top of that you have green belt in the home counties, which are very suburban.

Parks and open spaces in London - Wikipedia

NYC has large portions of preserved greenspace further out except for when it's out in the ocean, where it's water. The direction on land where there's somewhat smaller areas of that is out towards Long Island, but otherwise the equivalent to the greenbelt around NYC is fairly large and with larger expanses of natural areas, especially on mountainsides, rather than the more common farm spread that London's greenbelt has. One major thing to keep in mind is that these don't generally form a full connected belt partially due to the many jurisdictions these run. I'd find that to be a problem if it was disrupting a connected belt of natural preserves, but in comparison to London's green belt, that doesn't apply in the comparison since the green belt also means farmland.


I don't see much of an inner contradiction with what was sad. London is very large and includes a lot of people within its metropolitan area. It has also set aside a significant amount of space from urbanization. These can both be true for London as they can be for NYC. There are parts of London's greater metropolitan area that are denser than other parts as it is for NYC's greater metropolitan area and that's the case for a lot of different places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 05:22 PM
 
Location: In the heights
36,918 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Reputation: 20949
NYC I think is probably more populous at any roughly "blobular", not ultra-gerrymandered give bit of land area than London. I can't see how London would end up feeling larger, though feeling is pretty subjective. What it certainly won't be is actually larger unless London's population boom actually accelerates post-Brexit and infrastructure is so improved in frequency, speed, and affordability that London effectively makes suburbs out of far greater stretches of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
792 posts, read 449,622 times
Reputation: 1421
New York definitely is larger and I'm not too sure about London's prospects post-Brexit. A lot about London/UK from a growth perspective remains to be seen in a post-Brexit environment. I wonder how the Mayor of London feels trying to navigate these headwinds. Truly sad for the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2021, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
26,918 posts, read 13,138,568 times
Reputation: 19158
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
New York definitely is larger and I'm not too sure about London's prospects post-Brexit. A lot about London/UK from a growth perspective remains to be seen in a post-Brexit environment. I wonder how the Mayor of London feels trying to navigate these headwinds. Truly sad for the UK.
London is doing very well and can now make it's own financial rules outside of the EU, thereby encouraging more business.

London is an international city and does not rely on protectionist blocks, it also should be noted that Switzerland, also a major financial centre is also outside of the EU.

The US itself may be subject to higher corporation tax and even a financial services tax if some politicians get their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2021, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
26,918 posts, read 13,138,568 times
Reputation: 19158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
NYC has large portions of preserved greenspace further out except for when it's out in the ocean, where it's water. The direction on land where there's somewhat smaller areas of that is out towards Long Island, but otherwise the equivalent to the greenbelt around NYC is fairly large and with larger expanses of natural areas, especially on mountainsides, rather than the more common farm spread that London's greenbelt has. One major thing to keep in mind is that these don't generally form a full connected belt partially due to the many jurisdictions these run. I'd find that to be a problem if it was disrupting a connected belt of natural preserves, but in comparison to London's green belt, that doesn't apply in the comparison since the green belt also means farmland.


I don't see much of an inner contradiction with what was sad. London is very large and includes a lot of people within its metropolitan area. It has also set aside a significant amount of space from urbanization. These can both be true for London as they can be for NYC. There are parts of London's greater metropolitan area that are denser than other parts as it is for NYC's greater metropolitan area and that's the case for a lot of different places.
Upstate New York is more the equivalent of the Chilterns and Thames Valley, whilst Connecticut is more similar to the green space such as the Surrey Hills and Kent Downs, whilst the NJ Palisades are more similar to the Thames Estuary and Marshes rather than a planned greenbelt that encircles London and was specifically designed from Victorian times to stop urban sprawl.

Surrey Hills AONB - Wikipedia

Kent Downs - Wikipedia

Chiltern Hills - Wikipedia

South Thames Estuary and Marshes - Wikipedia

Epping Forest - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-04-2021 at 04:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top