Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 02:43 PM

30,347 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in London working on a multi-billion-dollar Arbitration case Adjudicated in London. I really enjoyed it and easily prefer it over NYC. London is an International Commercial center and NYC is a Commercial center of the USA.

During my work career, I also spent considerable time in Moscow, Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul, and Dubai among others and all have a fast pace with Dubai not as fast or as large but having an amazing assortment of nationalities working and living there. Moscow I never cared for, but the others grew on me, and I enjoyed them. Shanghai was probably my favorite though not sure if the welcome mat would be as nice due to US politicians attacking China's response to covid outbreak.

Now that I'm in my 60's, I don't think I want to keep up the pace of a large city even though I loved it when I was younger. Phoenix is fast enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 05:27 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I spent some time in London working on a multi-billion-dollar Arbitration case Adjudicated in London. I really enjoyed it and easily prefer it over NYC. London is an International Commercial center and NYC is a Commercial center of the USA.

During my work career, I also spent considerable time in Moscow, Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul, and Dubai among others and all have a fast pace with Dubai not as fast or as large but having an amazing assortment of nationalities working and living there. Moscow I never cared for, but the others grew on me, and I enjoyed them. Shanghai was probably my favorite though not sure if the welcome mat would be as nice due to US politicians attacking China's response to covid outbreak.

Now that I'm in my 60's, I don't think I want to keep up the pace of a large city even though I loved it when I was younger. Phoenix is fast enough for me.
I do admit that the 3 times I've been to London, it's felt very exciting each time, and the level of arts, commerce, finance and overall energy and dynamic cosmopolitan vibes matched New York's.

The physcial thing lacking in London is the dense scale of vertical skyscraper canyon after canyon, like midtown or downtown Manhattan.

The London diversity was amazing, and it did feel more connected to the world, than New York, and any city in America. London's royal family and royal class history gives it a "classy culture" that tends to elevate it-whether true or just seeming that way.

Not a slight to New York City at all--as I live here, love it, and would not live anywhere else.

NYC has the most diverse area in the world in an area in Queens, where what, something like 180+ ethnicities are represented? I can't recall exactly, but it's incredible.

But when comparing the 2 cities, I would give London a slight edge (at least the last time I visited in 2018), over NYC.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:17 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
To be fair, London is on a Continent shared by dozens of other countries within close proximity, I think that in itself gives it some sort of advantage or vibe over New York. Where as North America is three countries with oceans on each sides, and Canada and the US are huge and spreads out.

Also London is thee city in the U.K, you really don't hear about anywhere else for the most part, and it have no competition within the U.K. Whereas New York have other big and large cities to compete with all around the country with their own different vibes, and things they are known for. So, perhaps London should have some sort of edge going for itself.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:31 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
To be fair, London is on a Continent shared by dozens of other countries within close proximity, I think that in itself gives it some sort of advantage or vibe over New York. Where as North America is three countries with oceans on each sides, and Canada and the US are huge and spreads out.

Also London is thee city in the U.K, you really don't hear about anywhere else for the most part, and it have no competition within the U.K. Whereas New York have other big and large cities to compete with all around the country with their own different vibes, and things they are known for. So, perhaps London should have some sort of edge going for itself.

Both are fantastic cities and both offer a lot of art, culture, diversity, sport, entertainment etc.

Both cities have always had a close relationship and you could also add Paris to the mix, in terms of three fantastic and often intertwined cities.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Both are fantastic cities and both offer a lot of art, culture, diversity, sport, entertainment etc.

Both cities have always had a close relationship and you could also add Paris to the mix, in terms of three fantastic and often intertwined cities.
Absolutely

Old 03-29-2022, 10:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0GCJ5Gt-7g

British couple enjoying New York.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:28 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cirkFh--FTI

Old 04-21-2022, 03:50 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
New York–Newark–Jersey City, NY–NJ–PA Metropolitan Statistical Area (19,043,386)
And then add on these:

These use a formula for percent of commuters from county to core county to determine inclusion. Realistically though, I think Litchfield, Ulster, and Monroe to be stretches especially given the rather sparse urbanization and the lack of frequent commuter rail.
Funny, I think the PA stuff is a stretch (though I worked with an insane woman who commuted from the Poconos to Union County NJ - yikes!) And, I'm surprised that Dutchess County, NY isn't nearer the top of the list. Basically, it's all of the northeastern quarter of NJ, southern NY to the Bronx, Fairfield County, CT plus over as far as New Haven and the entirety of Long Island, as well as - of course - the five boroughs. That's my 2 cents.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:27 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Funny, I think the PA stuff is a stretch (though I worked with an insane woman who commuted from the Poconos to Union County NJ - yikes!) And, I'm surprised that Dutchess County, NY isn't nearer the top of the list. Basically, it's all of the northeastern quarter of NJ, southern NY to the Bronx, Fairfield County, CT plus over as far as New Haven and the entirety of Long Island, as well as - of course - the five boroughs. That's my 2 cents.

I totally agree.

Cities should be judged on architecture, arts, museums, culture, sport atmosphere, restaurants/food, green space rather than numbers or metro areas.

In terms of many of these criteria London and New York do well, although both are let down by high living costs in relation to rent and other such factors.

A major plus in terms of cities should be the ability to get out of them and to find green spaces, rather than be surrounded by endless metro suburbs.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I think US CSA definitions are generally much broader than official metropolitan area definitions elsewhere and MSAs can run the gamut though usually too big and sometimes with awkward splits like putting San Jose and San Francisco as different MSAs though they very much function as one.

The PA ones are definitely way out there and the Tri-State Area name for NYC's metropolitan area marks the usual consideration of parts of the three states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut and not Pennsylvania, but there are some radical supercommuters out there. CSAs are interesting in that regard, but I think a hard one to take as a metropolitan area for most which is why upthread I was curious about this London "CSA" another poster mentioned and had referenced a 21 million person "south-east England" population which I'm guessing is meant to include London, East of England, and South East England to try to get a London equivalent of the NYC CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World