U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group of cities is best?
NY, LA, Chicago, Washington, Toronto, SF 13 28.26%
London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Brussels, Moscow 33 71.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 03:53 PM

28,898 posts, read 28,043,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Yes I would. It's the laggard of the European list, though it's personally my favorite European city on the list as well (I even lived there for 6 months).

I get that, though it is an economic laggard. It does have capital city status, but capital city of what is generally a far less powerful nation than France, the UK, Germany, or Russia. Brussels is also maybe a decent choice for being a laggard due to size more than anything as well as how much more diffused in power the EU is compared to a nation.

I've spent a couple of weeks in Madrid and had a particularly odd but great experience there.

I do like Toronto even if it's the economic laggard of the NA bunch. I liked how generally well run and nice the city was despite being obviously a major city, and I thought the restaurant scene there was great with an especially good South and East Asian showing. I think if in addition to the RER/S-Bahn like operations they're trying to convert GO Transit into, if they can figure out some HSR on the Windsor corridor and to other parts of Ontario as well as the Northeast and Upper Midwest US and get rid of the Gardiner Expressway for a decent waterfront area, then it'll really have a stew going.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 12:38 PM

4,752 posts, read 1,697,290 times
London and Paris alone wipe away Americas big six for me.

Even if you add Montreal, Boston and DC... Still think London and Paris alone win

Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 AM

31 posts, read 2,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
European all the way. The NA cities you listed are no slouch, but that Euro combination is a beast.
This.

You could have added cooler north American cities.

New Orleans
Miami
Mexico city
Montreal
NYC
Philadelphia

Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 AM

4,752 posts, read 1,697,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred-anglo View Post
This.

You could have added cooler north American cities.

New Orleans
Miami
Mexico city
Montreal
NYC
Philadelphia
Chicago and LA are cooler than the two streets of NOLA that are enjoyable. And provide much better quality than Miami. what u smokin.

Also Philadelphia?? Not only do Chicago and LA exist, but like, Boston, San Diego, ??

Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 AM

8,385 posts, read 4,189,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Europe wins if you are a tourist, but in terms of actually looking for a job North America is like 10 times better.
Not just in terms of jobs. I think most European cities are more livable, overall.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Europe. Toronto is a deadweight for the North American group.
  • Brussels is the de facto capital of the European Union
  • London is the capital of a P5 Security Council State
  • Madrid is the least important politically, but is a gateway to Latin America
  • Moscow is the capital of a P5 Security Council State
  • Paris is the capital of a P5 Security Council State
  • Chicago is the premier city of a region with 75 million+ people, the world's largest financial derivatives exchange, and the most productive and fertile agricultural region in the world
  • Los Angeles is home to the most influential cultural apparatus in the world (Hollywood)
  • New York is the seat of the UN + the 2nd biggest economy (far ahead of any others on the list)
  • Toronto is the economic center of a small country of 38 million people. It's not a national capital and doesn't have any notable influence outside its parent country.
  • Washington is the capital of a P5 Security Council State and the world's only extant superpower

Toronto screws up any chance North America had. It should be replaced with Mexico City.
Okay, I agree with many of your posts, but now you're just being silly.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago and LA are cooler than the two streets of NOLA that are enjoyable. And provide much better quality than Miami. what u smokin.

Also Philadelphia?? Not only do Chicago and LA exist, but like, Boston, San Diego, ??
I agree with that poster. I grew up in Toronto and Montréal, and I LOVE Philly.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I do like Toronto even if it's the economic laggard of the NA bunch. I liked how generally well run and nice the city was despite being obviously a major city, and I thought the restaurant scene there was great with an especially good South and East Asian showing. I think if in addition to the RER/S-Bahn like operations they're trying to convert GO Transit into, if they can figure out some HSR on the Windsor corridor and to other parts of Ontario as well as the Northeast and Upper Midwest US and get rid of the Gardiner Expressway for a decent waterfront area, then it'll really have a stew going.
Yep. It's commonly reported that the late actor Peter Ustinov once referred to Toronto as "New York run by the Swiss."

Old 03-06-2021, 10:43 AM

31 posts, read 2,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with that poster. I grew up in Toronto and Montréal, and I LOVE Philly.
To me Toronto is like a poor man's NYC. Too suburban, too many highways, I am always underwhelmed.

In Canada Montreal is the coolest city if we go by urban environment that is.

Vancouver to me feels artificial and bland.

In regards to the US. (NYC, Philadelphia are nice), not a fan of those mega sprawling cities full of highways and shopping malls like Orlando, Atlanta, Houston.

I am not sure why people do not mention Mexico city more. It is by far the best of all worlds.
Mexico city is like this assemly of three or four different continents in one city.

Want Europe?

Go to the old town where the Spaniards and the Austro-Hungarian royalty colonized and built palaces, European like avenues, buildings. You would not be wrong for thinking you are somewhere in Europe.

Want North America?

Go to the Santa Fe district, skyscrapers, shopping malls, feels like Downtown Toronto.

Want indigenous?

Go to Xochimilco with its floating aztec gardens or those ancient pyramids north of the city with pre-columbus food.
And all of that is just one single city!

I lived in Europe 20 years and I was far more blown away by Mexico city's massiveness and diversity than by places like Rome, Barcelona or Paris.

Last edited by inbred-anglo; 03-06-2021 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred-anglo View Post
To me Toronto is like a poor man's NYC. Too suburban, too many highways, I am always underwhelmed.

In Canada Montreal is the coolest city if we go by urban environment that is.

Vancouver to me feels artificial and bland.

Go to Xochimilco with its floating aztec gardens or those
I lived in Europe 20 years and I was far more blown away by Mexico city's massiveness and diversity than by places like Rome, Barcelona or Paris.
Agree that Vancouver feels artificial and that Montréal is the coolest city in Canada. By far. I much prefer the Old World (European) flavor of eastern North American cities like Montréal, NYC, Boston, Philly to Vancouver, LA or Seattle.

Agree, also, than Toronto does have sprawling, sterile suburbs. But it's less suburban, physically and culturally, than most comparable US cities. It has a vibrant, booming downtown where many people (including me) would like to live but can't afford to. American cities, with the exception of NYC, are definitely more suburban, and those suburbs tend to be more boring, car dependent, and less livable.

I live in one now where there are hardly any sidewalks, for pete's sake. I've lived in others that had few streetlights and are very dark at night (suburban Detroit). You definitely can't say the same about Canadian suburbs.

You've convinced me that Mexico City is worth visiting, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World