Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs Sydney?
Toronto 65 47.45%
Sydney 72 52.55%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,070 times

Advertisements

Which city would you choose to live if you would have finished bachelor degree in business administration looking for a city which have not that expensive real estate properties and have bigger job market? Where is the lesser chance to be accepted by immigration jury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
That's a tough one, because they are both nice cities with roughly about the same cost of living. If weather is important, then obviously Sydney. The disadvantage about Sydney and Australia in general is isolation. At least Toronto is close to the Midwest and Northeast regions of the United States.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:08 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
I agree with SEA and ATL, regarding the weather & isolation concerns. Both are their respective country's most important city. So both will be good for prospects, entertainments, etc. Plus both cities have a high rate of immigrants, which I notice if you're coming from Czech Republic, may be an assurance. They're both great cities- it's a hard pick depending on what you want.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 AM

17 posts, read 112,524 times
Well, I'd recommend Toronto. I think it is more affordable than Sydney and hosts a bigger economy. Sydney real-estate is reallllyyyyy expensive compared to Toronto/Ontario. Plus in Canada you can still follow your favorite Czech hockey stars!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:26 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I think I'd opt for Sydney. Mainly because of the beaches and weather.

Toronto is a good city, but at the end of the day, it still has long winters that can drain you longterm.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,432 times
Having lived in Toronto for 26 years then moving to Sydney this past year I hope I can offer some insight. Pro's Toronto- Real estate is cheaper, and easier to get (in Sydney when a flat comes up for sale or rent there are lines of people waiting, some ques are 100 people to see 1 place). Given the condo burst in Toronto expect real estate to become quite attractive in the next 12 months. - Transportation is cheaper; petrol and parking are much cheaper. Currently in Sydney, petrol is at an all time low 97.7 a litter compared to rumours the petrol in Toronto is at 75.0. Parking in the CBD in Sydney is hundreds of dollars a month ($400-$600). Toronto is expensive for parking but more along the lines of $150 a month downtown. - Diversity and cultural acceptance are part of the DNA in Toronto.- Public free health care for citizen and permanent resident (Australia's is a two tier public private scheme)- Excellent parental leave and child care benefits for families (Australia has a 3 month parental leave policy)Pro Sydney- It is a beautiful city, with amazing beaches (there are no pretty beaches in Toronto, sorry)- The weather is outstanding (Toronto is extreme when it comes to weather, -20*c in the winter, 35*c in the summer)- The job market is very hot despite the economical climate and the wages often offset the increased cost of living. - Taxes are much lower!!!- Cultural diverse and accepting (not as much as Toronto)Sydney is very far from everything, the cost of living is higher, but this city is worth it. I was lucky to have a choice and do not regret my choice. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Oh lord I would choose Sydney over Toronto ANY day. Toronto may be a great urban city (better than boring Montreal) but I really have wanted to visit Austrailia for some time. And they actually like Americans so it's really good deal. And they have beaches! I really take a liking to countries with beaches.I was in france once in this place. I forget where. We were staying at the hotel near the beach but unfortunetly it was spring break and extremely cold!!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,622 times
Smile Toronto is much more like US city

I used to live and studey in Toronto . now i went back to Cambodia my home country . beside Toronto, I would like to immigrate the USA. I love Los Angeles.

Serously i don't really interesting Sydney !!!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,387 times
If Toronto had Sydney weather I would choose Toronto. Since it does not I have to choose Sydney.

Since this thread is old, I wonder what the OP choose?

Last edited by Momotaro; 03-17-2011 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Just noticed I replied to a threat from 2008.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris_km View Post
Having lived in Toronto for 26 years then moving to Sydney this past year I hope I can offer some insight. Pro's Toronto- Real estate is cheaper, and easier to get (in Sydney when a flat comes up for sale or rent there are lines of people waiting, some ques are 100 people to see 1 place). Given the condo burst in Toronto expect real estate to become quite attractive in the next 12 months. - Transportation is cheaper; petrol and parking are much cheaper. Currently in Sydney, petrol is at an all time low 97.7 a litter compared to rumours the petrol in Toronto is at 75.0. Parking in the CBD in Sydney is hundreds of dollars a month ($400-$600). Toronto is expensive for parking but more along the lines of $150 a month downtown. - Diversity and cultural acceptance are part of the DNA in Toronto.- Public free health care for citizen and permanent resident (Australia's is a two tier public private scheme)- Excellent parental leave and child care benefits for families (Australia has a 3 month parental leave policy)Pro Sydney- It is a beautiful city, with amazing beaches (there are no pretty beaches in Toronto, sorry)- The weather is outstanding (Toronto is extreme when it comes to weather, -20*c in the winter, 35*c in the summer)- The job market is very hot despite the economical climate and the wages often offset the increased cost of living. - Taxes are much lower!!!- Cultural diverse and accepting (not as much as Toronto)Sydney is very far from everything, the cost of living is higher, but this city is worth it. I was lucky to have a choice and do not regret my choice. Good luck!
How is that so? Do you have any source to back up that statement? I thought everything costs more in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World