U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 02:09 PM
Status: "World traveler (normally), recovering Southerner" (set 25 days ago)

66 posts, read 18,462 times

Advertisements

I know that the technical definition of North America spans from the northern territories of Canada and northern Alaska all the way to Panama's border with Colombia. For purposes of this thread, I'm just going to tighten the definition of North America to include the major population and economic centers: Canada, the USA and Mexico (and let everything else south of Mexico just be Central America).

If you left Canada, the USA or Mexico for someplace outside of North America, where did you move? Why did you move, and what was the impetus or catalyst? Do you have strong political feelings about your old and new home, or did you just follow the money or a significant other? Or, something else?

Put in an overly simplified way... I'm not going to go into detail about the USA's problems, as well as concerns from people around the world about how the USA might be of negative net value (culturally and diplomatically) for their countries in the years to come. Those problems are quite well documented (e.g., quasi-fascistic tendencies during the last administration, instability of the sociopolitical climate, mass shootings, civil unrest, COVID mismanagement nationwide and in most states, an increasing cost of living, an IRS that taxes US citizens abroad more aggressively than other countries tax their citizens while abroad). But there are still a lot of wealth, opportunity, natural beauty, great people, and, yes, safety and serenity to be found in the USA. Maybe some Canadians desire a more liberal or conservative government, lower taxes or even better social services, nicer weather or just a real change of scenery, etc. There are ongoing concerns about things like crime, cartels and corruption in many parts of Mexico (I realize that not all of Mexico is poor and run by corrupt, paid-for-by-the-cartel "leaders").

As it stands:
Nearly 3 million Canadians (nearly 9% of their population) live outside of Canada, though more than 1 million of them are estimated to be in the USA.
Nearly 9 million Americans (nearly 3% of our population) live outside of the USA. This number of expats may well have increased from 2016.
Nearly 12 million Mexicans (nearly 10% of their population) live outside of Mexico, though almost entirely in the USA. This number of expats may well have increased from 2015.

Ultimately, each person or family relocates for their own reasons, and I'm curious to learn about those.

Last edited by ykcawtsrif; Today at 02:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World