Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 08:27 PM

185 posts, read 105,630 times

Advertisements

Because Korean and Japanese who can speak Chinese usually live in China South Korea is a small country with high prices So many Koreans live in China and don't want to go back to their own country Singapore's main languages are Chinese and English, including Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Kazakhstan and Russia. Many young people learn Chinese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 10:10 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,355,175 times
Strictly speaking, "Mandarin" is the spoken language, and "Baihua" is the written vernacular Chinese.

"Baihua" (written vernacular Chinese)
definition from Wikipedia:
- it is the forms of written Chinese based on the varieties of Chinese spoken throughout China
Since the early 1920s, this modern vernacular form has been the standard style of writing for speakers of all varieties of Chinese throughout mainland China, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore as the written form of Modern Standard Chinese.

"Mandarin", or as it is called in China, "Putonghua"
definitions from:
- Oxford Languages, Putonghua is the standard spoken form of modern Chinese, based on the dialect of Beijing.
-
Collins English Dictionary, Putonghua is the official spoken language of China, based on the variety of Mandarin spoken in Beijing.

Korean or Japanese have a better chance of becoming an international language.
Because they are not a tonal language like Chinese and Vietnamese, where tonal inflection can change the meaning of words. Furthermore, just like the French, they have no problem adopting words like "weekend" or "shopping".

If it is a written contract, a letter or a communique, then "Baihua" (written vernacular Chinese) would not pose too much problems.

Imagine if one has to grapple with the large number of homophones.
boy: "You are my star."
girl: "What? you insinuate that I look like a monkey?"
star(s) xīngxing 星星
gorila xīngxing 猩猩

one more example:
https://www.omniglot.com/images/writ...homophones.gif

Old 05-20-2021, 11:11 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yep. Or French even.

Let's pray to Allah, Jesus and Buddhs this never happens...hell I'd rather listen to a Dutch, Kazakh and Jewish guy who say "ch" in unison lol rather than hearing anything in French (or Russian!). I also can't see a reason why French will get more popular, it's not a growing economy or population unlike Spanish, Arabic and Chinese.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:31 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,190,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
The chances of Mandarin overtaking English as the world's dominant international language is somewhere between zero and nil.

The key word here is "international" and Mandarin is basically useless outside China. It's not the number of people who use the language but rather the number of countries that do. If there was another language that could overtake English {and there isn't one} would be Spanish which is used widely in many different countries.
Spanish isn't widely used as a second language outside of countries bordering Spanish speaking countries. Muslims in non-Arabic countries might learn the language for religious reasons but I'm not sure if they use it to talk to other Muslims for trade, tech conferences, etc. English might be preferred IDK.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:58 PM

179 posts, read 185,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Spanish isn't widely used as a second language outside of countries bordering Spanish speaking countries. Muslims in non-Arabic countries might learn the language for religious reasons but I'm not sure if they use it to talk to other Muslims for trade, tech conferences, etc. English might be preferred IDK.
Despite that, Spanish is WAAAAAAAAY more spoken than English by native speakers numbers (filter the table by L1 speakers): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...,_24th_edition)

Old 05-21-2021, 08:02 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
Despite that, Spanish is WAAAAAAAAY more spoken than English by native speakers numbers (filter the table by L1 speakers): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...,_24th_edition)
The important criterion for an international language is the number of second-language speakers, not the number of native speakers. The number of native-speakers is not terribly relevant, as you can see by considering the number of native Mandarin speakers versus its lack of use as an international language.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The important criterion for an international language is the number of second-language speakers, not the number of native speakers. The number of native-speakers is not terribly relevant, as you can see by considering the number of native Mandarin speakers versus its lack of use as an international language.
Yes but the thing is Mandarin itself has a lot of problems as far as becoming a world language or lingua franca so that I'd call it an exception to Spanish and English.

Many of those were previously mentioned by other users, such as not far widespread outside China, very difficult/unrelated to most languages, not enough "domination" on media, and so on.

P.S. Of course English has more L2/non-native speakers because it already is the lingua-franca of the world. If French were the global language (or Spanish) then those would have more L2 speakers than English, no doubt.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:29 AM

14,377 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
Yes but the thing is Mandarin itself has a lot of problems as far as becoming a world language or lingua franca so that I'd call it an exception to Spanish and English.

Many of those were previously mentioned by other users, such as not far widespread outside China, very difficult/unrelated to most languages, not enough "domination" on media, and so on.

P.S. Of course English has more L2/non-native speakers because it already is the lingua-franca of the world. If French were the global language (or Spanish) then those would have more L2 speakers than English, no doubt.
Yes, of course, and I wrote some of those posts myself. What I was saying now is that one cannot look at a table showing the number of native speakers of a language and conclude that the languages with more native speakers therefore have more international use. That Spanish has more native speakers than English is entirely beside the point most of us have been trying to make.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, of course, and I wrote some of those posts myself. What I was saying now is that one cannot look at a table showing the number of native speakers of a language and conclude that the languages with more native speakers therefore have more international use. That Spanish has more native speakers than English is entirely beside the point most of us have been trying to make.
Yes, I get the point you're trying to make (and I agree), but Spanish and French are related to so many other languages and very spread as well, unlike Chinese (Mandarin). That's one of the biggest differences.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:57 PM

75 posts, read 108,242 times
Um no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World