Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 11:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Farewell song was filmed weeks before Indonesian tragedy.

A heartbreaking video released by the Indonesian military shows the crew of the doomed Indonesian Navy submarine singing a farewell song. The video was shot weeks ago, before the sub went missing Wednesday, its wreckage ultimately found on the sea floor Sunday, split into three pieces, and all 53 crew members declared dead.

https://www.newser.com/story/305417/...s-goodbye.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 11:54 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Indeed, very sad.....

Old 04-29-2021, 07:06 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Very sad, indeed. As one who has spent some 250 days submerged on submarine operations, this hit home for me. I have always dreaded deployments and felt completely helpless while deployed, though I know that the odds were excellent that we'd return home safely. I can't even begin to imagine the terror and pain that these men experienced during the casualty. Prayers to the deceased and their families.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Farewell song was filmed weeks before Indonesian tragedy.

A heartbreaking video released by the Indonesian military shows the crew of the doomed Indonesian Navy submarine singing a farewell song. The video was shot weeks ago, before the sub went missing Wednesday, its wreckage ultimately found on the sea floor Sunday, split into three pieces, and all 53 crew members declared dead.

https://www.newser.com/story/305417/...s-goodbye.html
NATO has a Submarine Rescue System that can be deployed on request, and many Navies also have Sub Rescue Ships

NATO Submarine Rescue System - Wikipedia

Submarine rescue ship - Wikipedia

Deep-submergence rescue vehicle - Wikipedia

Submarine Parachute Assistance Group - Wikipedia

Not sure about all the details regarding this tragedy but it is very sad.

I have always admired the courage of submariners, even those manning the German U-Boats during WW2 were brave in their own right.

The Argentinian Navy Submarine San Juan went missing in 2017, with the the loss of 44 crewmen, which was then the largest loss of life aboard a submarine since the Chinese submarine 361 malfunctioned in April 2003.

The recent of of the 53 crewmen aboard the Indonesian submarine KRI Nanggala in April 2021 have now surpassed both previous tragedies.

KRI Nanggala (402) - Wikipedia

Disappearance of ARA San Juan - Wikipedia

Chinese submarine Changcheng 361 - Wikipedia

However the Russian nuclear-powered Project 949A Antey (Oscar II class) submarine Kursk which sank in an accident on 12 August 2000 in the Barents Sea, with the loss of all 118 crew remains the worst submarine disaster this century.

Kursk submarine disaster - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-29-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-29-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
NATO has a Submarine Rescue System that can be deployed on request, and many Navies also have Sub Rescue Ships

NATO Submarine Rescue System - Wikipedia

Submarine rescue ship - Wikipedia

Deep-submergence rescue vehicle - Wikipedia

Submarine Parachute Assistance Group - Wikipedia

Not sure about all the details regarding this tragedy but it is very sad.

I have always admired the courage of submariners, even those manning the German U-Boats during WW2 were brave in their own right.

The Argentinian Navy Submarine San Juan went missing in 2017, with the the loss of 44 crewmen, which was then the largest loss of life aboard a submarine since the Chinese submarine 361 malfunctioned in April 2003. Thisloss of 53 crewmen aboard the Indonesian submarine KRI Nanggala in April 2021 have now surpassed both previous tragedies.

However the Russian nuclear-powered Project 949A Antey (Oscar II class) submarine Kursk which sank in an accident on 12 August 2000 in the Barents Sea, with the loss of 118 crew remains the worst submarine disaster this century.
Sadly, in this case, it doesn't appear that a rescue vessel that could submerge deep enough was close enough to make a difference based on the oxygen stores on board. Even if such a vessel close enough, it sadly would not have made a difference this submarine broke apart, possibly due to the water pressure

Old 04-29-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sadly, in this case, it doesn't appear that a rescue vessel that could submerge deep enough was close enough to make a difference based on the oxygen stores on board. Even if such a vessel close enough, it sadly would not have made a difference this submarine broke apart, possibly due to the water pressure
Very Sad - I guess once you reach a certain depth it becomes increasingly difficult.

I admire the courage of the men who died in such tragic circumstances.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Well that is horrific.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Very Sad - I guess once you reach a certain depth it becomes increasingly difficult.

I admire the courage of the men who died in such tragic circumstances.
Indeed. And I think that only a handful of vessels can submerge to the depths where this submarine ultimately settled. And they seem to be kept generally in areas with greater submarine activity, such as the NATO countries, which means it could take a prohibitively long amount of time to reach a sunk submarine depending on air supply.

This article notes the Indonesian Navy as reporting that the vessel could possibly have remained in tact up to 500 meters down, but would have broken up any deeper than that due to the pressure: https://www.insider.com/indonesia-mi...y-warns-2021-4

It appears that the vessel was at depths of even deeper than 600 meters, which is about the max limit of the few deep submergence vehicles that are in existence.

A true tragedy. I eco your admiration of the courage of those men and of all who choose to serve on submarine duty.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Indeed. And I think that only a handful of vessels can submerge to the depths where this submarine ultimately settled. And they seem to be kept generally in areas with greater submarine activity, such as the NATO countries, which means it could take a prohibitively long amount of time to reach a sunk submarine depending on air supply.

This article notes the Indonesian Navy as reporting that the vessel could possibly have remained in tact up to 500 meters down, but would have broken up any deeper than that due to the pressure: https://www.insider.com/indonesia-mi...y-warns-2021-4

It appears that the vessel was at depths of even deeper than 600 meters, which is about the max limit of the few deep submergence vehicles that are in existence.

A true tragedy. I eco your admiration of the courage of those men and of all who choose to serve on submarine duty.

There is a UK Forces TV video about the NATO Submarine Rescue System.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ztxjQyZBY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World