Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 05:01 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've been to London but do not know enough about the UK in general to choose between the two.

In terms of personal preference it depends what you prefer, urban or rural.

In cities you have a rich tapestry of arts and culture, however most large cities have wealthy and poorer areas, and can be more expensive in terms of housing.

The US is a vast country and a more reasonable comparison would be between the US and Europe rather than a relatively small country like the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 05:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post
Would you care to name a few? I agree a lot sounds stereotypical but I don’t believe anything I have said is inaccurate. Just my take on these two countries and their features.
Food, weather, education, people - with regards to these topics none of what you said about the UK rings true, there is a lot of stereotypical inaccuracies though.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:09 AM

49 posts, read 54,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Food, weather, education, people - with regards to these topics none of what you said about the UK rings true, there is a lot of stereotypical inaccuracies though.
I have stated less than a handful of foods from each country I could list more, what I have said about the weather isn’t inaccurate uk has gloomy weather cool summers mild winters us has much more vast weather overall is much sunnier warmer in summer colder in a lot of places during winter, I haven’t gone into great detail about education but what I said wasn’t false. People in us are known for being very sociable and friendly and British more reserved and unsmiling, that is pretty much a well known fact so I don’t get what I have said is so inaccurate some things may be lacking in detail but most of what I have said is true.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:23 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
I have stated less than a handful of foods from each country I could list more, what I have said about the weather isn’t inaccurate uk has gloomy weather cool summers mild winters us has much more vast weather overall is much sunnier warmer in summer colder in a lot of places during winter, I haven’t gone into great detail about education but what I said wasn’t false. People in us are known for being very sociable and friendly and British more reserved and unsmiling, that is pretty much a well known fact so I don’t get what I have said is so inaccurate some things may be lacking in detail but most of what I have said is true.
The British are not known for being unsmiling or unfriendly, in fact quite the opposite.

The weather is not as bad as many people make out and there is a gulf stream, which the UK benefits from.

The UK has a good education system and is also home to some of the best universities in the world.

As for food, the UK enjoys a wide range of food from across the globe, and has numerous restaurants representing numerous international cuisines.

Old 05-15-2021, 04:04 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I would live in London or Northern Wales. Two of my favorite places in the world.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Where would you rather live, the United States or United Kingdom? Both are two of the richest countries in the world and offer many employment opportunities
If the UK offers so many employment opportunities, why have UK citizens been coming to the US in droves the last few months, looking for jobs? Someone's organizing job tours for them, and is bussing them around to cities in the Southwest. IDK about the rest of the US, but that's how the UK Covid variant came to Colorado this spring. What I don't understand, is how they're actually getting jobs. but they are.

And isn't the weather in the UK like a more intense version of Seattle: really rainy?

Old 05-15-2021, 08:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
US without question really. It's difficult to even make the comparison. I think London and NYC compare pretty well, and I'd actually pick London between them, but what about the rest? How do you compare Glasgow with San Diego? Belfast with Denver? Liverpool against Honolulu? The US has too many great places to choose from and the UK is relatively small with lousy weather. I'm not saying the UK is bad, but it isn't really a fair fight when you put it against the entirety of the US. The US vs EU would be a better comparison.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:03 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Denmark is more similar to Britain in terms of weather and social etiquette but far surpasses both countries in terms of quality of living having the best education system in the world. I know they have food banks in Britain and America I doubt these exist to a large extent if at all in Denmark, since the danish government knows how to feed their citizens.
You are wrong about Denmark too:The Food Bank (Fødevarebanken) | cost. Despite only having a population of 6 million, food banks are necessary and have much work to do.
https://borgenproject.org/poverty-in-denmark/

Old 05-15-2021, 11:12 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Where would you rather live, the United States or United Kingdom?
If I had to choose, it would be the US without doubt.

Employment opportunities: Not a factor for me.
Healthcare: With insurance, I would take the US system.
Crime: UK, but very easy to avoid in the US by choosing an appropriate city and neighbourhood.
Education: Equal
Food: Equal. You can get any food you want in either place.
Government: UK. Parliamentary system is superior IMO, but not a deal breaker.
COVID Response: Equal
Weather: US given wide range of Climate zones to choose from.
Health: Equal
People: Equal

Live sport is another big factor for me. While England does play Rugby and Cricket, Soccer is No. 1 and I can't stand that. I love MLB, NHL and NFL, so I would head over to UK a couple of times a year for my Cricket fix, and never have to hear anything about soccer.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:46 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Where would you rather live, the United States or United Kingdom? Both are two of the richest countries in the world and offer many employment opportunities and are places one can live comfortably and be financially secure. Much poverty exists in both countries but it is nothing compared to poverty in third world countries and even China. I will weigh certain factors against each other and determine which country fares better.

Crime:
It is a well known fact that many shootings occur in the US, between rival gangs, civilians being shot, police shootings or school shootings. The fact many school kids have to go through security going to school is ridiculous. The UK has no gun violence as a gun cannot be purchased by civilians. However, knife crime is a massive problem in the UK resulting in many deaths especially in cities with very rough areas such as London, Birmingham and Glasgow. However, all of the previously mentioned US factors are worse.
Winner: UK
The British Office for National Statistics says otherwise.
Quote:
Figures from the Office for National Statistics reveal that in the year ending March 2019 a total of 9,787 crimes involving guns took place.

Over the past five years, offences involving a firearm have also increased by 27%.

In 2017/18 the agency confiscated 104 guns but that rose to 168 in 2018/19.
Over the past 10 months, 425 guns have been seized.
https://news.sky.com/story/gun-crime-rises-in-uk-in-last-year-with-more-than-9-700-cases-reported-11933150

And large portions of the United States have very little violent crime. Avoid places like St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and the south side of Chicago, and you're usually in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World