Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Also, most Dutch speak perfect Americanized English.
That explains a lot....I've met a few Dutch who hardly had a detectable accent to me. I thought maybe they had lost it from living in the US...
It's funny, you think they'd speak English more like Brits, being closer to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 03:29 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
In Germany, maybe Frankfurt and Heidelberg.
I agree about Frankfurt, because it's so modern...much of that has to do with the massive postwar rebuilding program.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,926 times
Since you are from California anywhere in Latin America should feel like a California city

But to answer your question any big city in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or UK is going to feel like US because of the language and culture.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Since you are from California anywhere in Latin America should feel like a California city

But to answer your question any big city in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or UK is going to feel like US because of the language and culture.
Any big city in Canada that's not in Quebec, that is.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post

I'd say Australian, New Zealand & British cities, although sharing the same language, have very distinct cultural differences from U.S. ones. Montreal has a very distinct feel & culture too.

That's true about the Latin America-California connection though!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
That explains a lot....I've met a few Dutch who hardly had a detectable accent to me. I thought maybe they had lost it from living in the US...
It's funny, you think they'd speak English more like Brits, being closer to them.
The Dutch do not dub American TV shows into their language (not economically feasible) but they do subtitle it. The result is that they learn their English pronunciation from American TV imports.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
The same goes for other small north European nations. Sweden is very anglicised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
The Dutch do not dub American TV shows into their language (not economically feasible) but they do subtitle it. The result is that they learn their English pronunciation from American TV imports.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
I disagree with many of the above, but I guess it depends on your perspective and what "feel" you are thinking about. I have never been walking through somewhere like Brussels, Cologne, or Helsinki and thought "wow, this reminds me of Philadelphia".

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 AM

79 posts, read 387,763 times
Besides Toronto, which basically is part of the U.S. , let's see:

some suburbs of Mexico City look like they are in California or Arizona: a Wal-Mart, the same houses, the same fast food chains, the same SUVs...

some Dutch suburbs near Nimwegen looked very American, only the houses between the McDonald's and the SUVs were a bit smaller

Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Singapore feels like an American city, despite the large Asian population.
If by American you mean New York City and inner Los Angeles, then that's quite true. Outside of them, Singapore is nothing like any American city. It's cramped, congested and much too hectic. I know, I've lived there for two decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World