Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:24 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akka View Post
Why would you 'need' to feel you are in an American style city, when you are not in America? I don't get it.... Isn't that the point of traveling overseas, to see new cultures? I am intrigued as to why you would ask this question. Are you considering traveling overseas, but at the same time wish to have as little a culture shock as possible??? Believe me, breaking your routine and getting a little culture shock now and then is a good thing!!!
Thank goodness somebody said what I was thinking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:43 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Traveling overseas and living there are 2 completely different things.

For example, I would much rather travel to Beijing than to Hong Kong.

However if I had to choose to live in either city Hong Kong wins by a landslide. This is because as a result of British Colonialism Hong Kong has a lot of western aspects to it that makes it easy as an American to fit in there. Whereas in Beijing most things are going to be complicated for you to accomplish, even if you can speak the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akka View Post
Why would you 'need' to feel you are in an American style city, when you are not in America? I don't get it.... Isn't that the point of traveling overseas, to see new cultures? I am intrigued as to why you would ask this question. Are you considering traveling overseas, but at the same time wish to have as little a culture shock as possible??? Believe me, breaking your routine and getting a little culture shock now and then is a good thing!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:26 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Canada suprised me how similar it is to the US.

Except for the money (the looney), the boxing day signs after christmas (a holdiay there), and some other differences...but not much.

I've been to Edmonton, Calgary, through the Canadian Rockies, Vancuver and Toronto. They all looked very americanized. Edmonton has the worlds biggest mall (not sure if its still true), but it looked like any American mall, only much bigger.

Calgary reminded me of a midwest city. In Montana, Wyoming, Utah.

Vancuver is very cosmopolitan, much like San Francisco.

Toronto was more of an east coast city.

But Canada/America...virtually the same country.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Edmonton has the worlds biggest mall (not sure if its still true), but it looked like any American mall, only much bigger.
5 newer malls in Asia are bigger than that one now.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Madrid seemed very American like in certain respects.

Entering the city on the Autovia del Norte, there were office parks, parking lots, big-box stores, apartment buildings, and housing developments. Among the buildings seen was a Toys R' Us and a ... HUMMER dealership! Combined with the terrain near the city (but not further away), it was a bit like entering Minneapolis on I-35.

No "old town" with super-narrow streets, like the Barri Gotic in Barcelona or Albayzin in Granada.

The "Gran Via" reminded me of an mid-large city American main street, sans the skyscrapers but with a lot of nice architecture.

Seemed like a Burger King, McDonalds, or Starbucks was on every other block.

The place I brought my dirty laundry to get washed (nearest to my pension) was called..."Wash and Dry".

Lots of Latin American immigrants everywhere, though more from South America than Mexico it seemed.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I'm guessing there will be a lot of Canadian and Australian cities in the mix, but then again, I don't know, so help me out. Thanks!
Have you been abroad?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 PM

102 posts, read 376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Cologne also has the look/feel/vibe of an American city.
Wow, I totally disagree with this. Cologne is so much more dense than most american cities, quite walkable, has fantastic bike trails running throughout it, but at the same time has a fantastic nightlife and a very hip young culture. The only thing remotely "american" about it is the fact that a lot of the architecture is new and altogether hideous. There's not really a place like it in the states, in my opinion. If there were, I'd be there!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Parts of Bangkok Thailand can seem to have a Western feel to it. You can't turn around without seeing a 7-11, McDonald's, or KFC somewhere. English is pretty common in some districts of BKK, mostly because a lot of English-speaking travelers tend to gather in those areas. A lot of the modern architecture doesn't seem much different than what you might see in the U.S., although various unique-styled Thai temples, as well as the heat and humidity, and cars driving on the left, are reminders that you aren't in the U.S.
I've been to Bangkok, and I would disagree- yes it has a lot of American fast food restaurants and has modern architecture that is very western, but it feels nothing at all like an American city- it has a completely foreign feel to it, I didn't really see or feel any similarities.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
I've never been there, but friends have told me that London feels very similar to NYC. So that was the first place that sprang to mind.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Any big city in Canada that's not in Quebec, that is.
I actually thought Montreal felt pretty American, in parts. Quebec City, though, is a completely different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World