Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 10:13 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Are we assuming that one has lots of savings from working in a high wage place, and wants to move to a cheaper place to stretch their money?

Or are we assuming that you have to work where you are moving to?

A lot of the super cheap places to live are bad places to work, which makes sense. If wages were higher and more plentiful, they wouldn't be cheap.

So are you targeting cheapest in an absolute sense, or places with the most disposable income?
Assuming, no work in the new place, but possibly remote work for a US based company...maybe. But even without remote work many manage on SS alone.

I am finding some good AirBnBs for around $750/month in Mexico City (Roma Sur, Condesa area - these are the nicest parts).

The whole idea is geo-arbitrage... however, rents are just one part of the equation. Health care is another. The US health care system is a ridiculous joke, I would not live here just for that reason. Have something serious happen to you unfortunately, you could get a bill for $500K and the insurance refuses to pay because that is frequently what they do (refer to sub-paragraph 11, section 14, annotation 2.2 coverage only applies when Saturn aligns with Jupiter so go F yourself), then what? You're screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 02:19 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,723 times
You need a cheap place free of coronavirus, with good health care.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:51 AM

81 posts, read 93,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
You have a fetish for Slovakia, I'm not listening to you . Then again - to each their own mate, I simply don't share your taste for Holland, Germany and all things European.
I can't stand Holland lol. It's one of the worst places for me in the world along with France, Belgium, Western/Northern German states like NRW. Terrible climate + food + architecture. The cultures ain't all that either! I like Latin American countries and Australia the most, then Portugal, then Turkey, Georgia and Armenia. I generally don't like typical Europe. Well I like the Swedish blondes but not their climate, introversion or food.

I don't have a fetish for Slovakia. I just say it as it is according to my experience - the people (locals and expats) there were friendlier than the ones in Sofia. I'm a native from Sofia so that says something. Also, Sofia is way overpriced for what it offers as in property prices & the air's too polluted. OK, I prefer Eastern Bulgaria but again, the locals are not much nicer than in Sofia. In general there are much better places than Europe and the best places imo in Europe are not even in Europe proper like Madeira and the Canary Islands.

Last edited by Martinho; 06-11-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-14-2021, 01:41 AM

536 posts, read 610,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I'd say even the winter temperatures are more pleasant than the women in eastern europe lol and that's saying something. Don't forget the perfect roads and the abundance of life everywhere, especially in Pripiat during a covid lockdown...
The women are very pleasant to talk to in Belgrade, much more so than, say, the US or UK, for example from my experience. You can't use a sweeping generalization to color an entire region. It is ignorant and incorrect. I find Serbs to be very warm. My gf is from Serbia, her and her family and friends are exceptionally warm people and my Serb gf has even offered to pay for things way more often than any American girl I ever dated btw. She and her family are much warmer than any American girl (+ family) I dated back in UNI. But whatever, keep spreading that falsehood about Eastern Europe, including Serbia, it just means less annoying people coming here like there currently is in Thailand. The women in Serbia are some of my favorite in nearly 40 countries I have been to. Smart, educated, warm/friendly, stunning.

Serbia has incredible nature too and having driven 1000s and 1000s of km on their roads (I think even approaching 5k), ya, some could be better but there are some excellent quality roads too with awesome nature (been to about 65 locations in the country)

I have never been to Ukraine but using Pripiat, a ghost town now, impacted by a terrible disaster 30 years ago, as a representation of E.Europe is disingenuous, at best. The few Ukrainians I have met were cool and open, and sociable including one I met in Washington DC and one I met in Mexico who was married to a Mexican who was very upbeat and not cold at all. Plus a few I have met here and there travelling in Asia and other parts of Europe.

Last edited by Cmusic29; 06-14-2021 at 01:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World