Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 10:07 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,814,660 times

Advertisements

This is using some straightforward approach, not some very elaborate process to obtain residency in these countries.

Particularly interested in how to stay for 6 or longer months (preferably a year) in:

Japan
South Korea
Thailand
Vietnam
Philippines
Schengen area (well.. probably dreaming but why not)

if anyone has tried this what are your strategies?

Also share any particularly interesting destinations that you've managed to stay long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 08:57 PM

153 posts, read 111,652 times
Can only speak on Japan:
There is a lot of misinformation and BS believed by Westerners about immigration to Japan; they think it is super difficult and this is why Japan is homogeneous. However, the real reason is the language and culture barriers, along with working conditions. If you are an open-minded flexible person who is willing to assimilate to a culture that is very traditional and conservative, and can learn the very difficult language (for English speakers), then it is much easier to move to Japan and stay than most Western countries.

You need a BA in anything, then you can apply to English teaching companies here in Japan and get sponsored for a work visa relatively easy. Problem is, they are often in the middle of nowhere, doing easy but crappy jobs like being a preschool English teacher singing the ABC's, or they pay terrible wages. Fun for a few years maybe, but I wouldn't recommend staying forever on an English teacher's salary unless you have actual teaching experience or certificates and work at a university or something in which case it is great. However, speaking for visas, yes it is quite easy. However, like I said, the vast majority of foreigners leave after a few years because of the bad working conditions, and they do not speak Japanese well enough to switch jobs to other industries.

If you marry a Japanese person, you get a spouse visa which can be renewed indefinitely and can allow you work at any job without a sponsor, basically giving you open visa permanent residency.

I know there is also a "foreign internship" program or something along those lines that targets Filipinos and other SE Asians for manual labour factory or farm work because Japanese don't want to do these jobs, but the people in these programs often complain about the extremely harsh working conditions and human rights abuses, so I do not recommend this.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:11 PM

30,695 posts, read 18,337,735 times
My Taiwanese American friend has stayed in Taiwan for over a year (he is not a Taiwanese citizen) in the past. He would have to leave the territory every 3 months in order to not run afoul of the law. He would generally fly to Korea and meet friends before flying back to Taiwan to stay with his parents.

I stayed in Australia for several months on a student visa.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:54 AM

5,775 posts, read 11,417,238 times
I got a temporary residence visa in Germany without much hassle, but I am retired and have a verifiable, monthly retirement income that is quite a bit more than an average working wage in Germany. OP, do you have a source of steady, monthly income that does not require a job or employment in the country where you want to live? If so, that makes a huge difference, as it is generally easier to get a residence visa if there is no need to work to generate income in the new host country.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:19 AM

535 posts, read 612,786 times
Like anywhere, 1. meet someone and get married, 2. get a job or 3. be rich and invest a lot (some countries have investment visas).

Some countries: Go, cross the border for a few days, come back, rinse, repeat. Hope you have enough money to support yourself or have a job/remote work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World