Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I'm sorry but the smugness here is quite breathtaking, especially in light of Canada's treatment of its Indigenous and First Nations communities. At least you can watch the fishbowl of the US and talk about all of the country's problems without doing an examination of Canada's obvious shortcomings.

Transit in Canada isn't that amazing - Toronto can't decide whether it wants to invest in transit to Scarborough or redirect funds elsewhere. When is the subway line to UBC going to be completed? Canada is still overwhelmingly auto centric. Wage to housing costs ratio is terrible in Vancouver, despite the low property taxes.

Who said that Americans have lost their faith in government? (what a sweeping generalization for a country of over 330 million folks). The Feds are admired despite the criticisms (valid or not). Regional areas such as the New England states pride themselves on a functional and responsive government and that area of the country has a quality of life equal if not better than Canada's while being a part of the world's largest economy.

There are plenty of Americans that love the good aspects of the States (diversity, dynamism, politeness) and want a stronger social safety net (which doesn't automatically mean that we want our social safety net to model Canada's...which is lacking compared to ANZ and European counterparts - Ontario just passed a form of sick pay, which has been policy in many US localities for years).

Canada is not my north star as the ideal country. I like the flexibility of the Scandinavian economics paired with a strong social safety net. None of these countries have the economic might of the US, which is a distinct advantage and one of the primary reasons why I want to stay in the States.
Smugness? No. I was responding to another smug post against Canada.

Problems, of course Canada has it's own problems, but most of the post response was to answer the points made by that poster.

Toronto is not Canada, and I didn't say amazing transit, I said good. Toronto is currently building the largest transit project in Canada. Vancouver is currently building that subway line as far as Arbutus, the plans to extend to UBC are there, and more funding was just announced. Compare the transit in Vancouver to Seattle, a city many like to compare to Vancouver.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ticle_left_1.1

Speaking of Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZDZtBRTyeI

Housing costs in Vancouver are what they are, like they are in SF, NYC, LA etc.

I also didn't say all Americans , but I think you know that, lost faith in their government, I said " Canadians haven't lost faith in our SYSTEM of government".

Many Americans feel their voices aren't heard at the federal level. That lobbying, and money talks. That it takes billions to run for president. Many feel the SYSTEM is broken to a point and needs reform.

As for Ontario, which again is not all of Canada, was trying to TOP UP existing federally mandated sick days. It wasn't starting from zero. Each province can add onto to the federal program, but not take away.

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remune...-sick-eng.html

The point of my post, was to counter, once again, this idea that Canadians are suffering under high taxes, gas prices, and prices of consumer goods.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-13-2021 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 10:58 AM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The point of my post, was to counter, once again, this idea that Canadians are suffering under hight taxes, gas prices, and prices of consumer goods.
I'm just saying that is what Americans who travel to Canada generally experience.

Also, the average house price seems much higher in Canada than the United States as well.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm just saying that is what Americans who travel to Canada generally experience.

Also, the average house price seems much higher in Canada than the United States as well.
Yes, it probably is, but private home ownership in both countries is almost exactly the same.

Once tourists do the conversion of currency, they realize that a lot of times, they get a good bang for their buck.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:15 PM

323 posts, read 263,231 times
To answer the original question posed by this thread, I'd say yes - the US is probably the most conservative country in the "anglosphere."

Old 07-14-2021, 04:20 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,535,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
As a Canadian I have always been surprised how easy it is to manipulate Americans to vote against their best interest
As a human i have always noted that those who presume to know what is in the best interest of others are almost invariably wrong.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:54 PM

984 posts, read 1,318,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
At least we don't look at Canada and make ridiculous subjective generalizations.
Of course you do.

This entire thread of "Is the USA the most conservative country in the Anglosphere" completely relies on generalizations. Generalizations about a society maybe overexaggerated but they usually spring from some form of common belief............they don't just pop out of no where. You can also look at a lot of US laws which are very socially conservative often due to the US's strong religious influence on her politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World