Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 03:21 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The question is - What motivates some people to pursue these “finer” things in life in spite of the costs?

While other people could care less about them even if they are available for free at a local library?
COULD care less??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 PM

103 posts, read 92,363 times
What would be interested to know as well is why NYC has many "European tendencies." Now that I remember, I have some friends who invited me to a "wine and cheese" party. I also have met Spaniards and French who told me about this types of evening discussions/get togethers.

Obviously, there might be groups of people in other American towns and cities who do these but by and large it seems most people weren't interested. Some friends I know would just rather go to PF.Chang's or another chain restaurant, even if they have money..etc

Old 07-08-2021, 05:16 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
The question is - What motivates some people to pursue these “finer” things in life in spite of the costs?

While other people could care less about them even if they are available for free at a local library?
It is partly social pressure, I think. If the people you spend time embrace these things you feel some pressure to do the same.

As an example, one group I belong to includes Italian culture and the group leader is a member of about three choirs. Thus we have quite a bit of exposure to Opera in this group. I happen not to enjoy Opera, my musical tastes running much more to jazz. But I have certainly learnt more about Opera and if I was in Italy, might be tempted to go to an event.

Take coffee, Aussies are shocking coffee snobs. It is just something that has spread over the years and led to chains like Starbucks closing stores and being more in the market where there are international tourists (when we have them, certainly not now)

Even with sport, I feel obliged to watch the Wimbledon women’s final this weekend and our favourite Aussie player is playing. I just feel that I must!

Old 07-09-2021, 03:11 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
It is partly social pressure, I think. If the people you spend time embrace these things you feel some pressure to do the same.

As an example, one group I belong to includes Italian culture and the group leader is a member of about three choirs. Thus we have quite a bit of exposure to Opera in this group. I happen not to enjoy Opera, my musical tastes running much more to jazz. But I have certainly learnt more about Opera and if I was in Italy, might be tempted to go to an event.

Take coffee, Aussies are shocking coffee snobs. It is just something that has spread over the years and led to chains like Starbucks closing stores and being more in the market where there are international tourists (when we have them, certainly not now)

Even with sport, I feel obliged to watch the Wimbledon women’s final this weekend and our favourite Aussie player is playing. I just feel that I must!
German Opera is the most insufferable, for instance the Ring Cycle by Richard Wagner consists of four parts, three of which last over four hours.

The (German) Teutonic reputation for brutality is well-founded. Their operas last three or four days. And they have no word for "fluffy". - Captain Blackadder, Blackadder Goes Forth, Episode 4.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-09-2021 at 03:28 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 01:11 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
German Opera is the most insufferable, for instance the Ring Cycle by Richard Wagner consists of four parts, three of which last over four hours.
I do like German opera. But we have to learn how to appreciate it.
They are not all the same, however; the german works by composers before Wagner and even the earlier works by Wagner have similarities with both french and italian traditions.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:48 PM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I do like German opera. But we have to learn how to appreciate it.
They are not all the same, however; the german works by composers before Wagner and even the earlier works by Wagner have similarities with both french and italian traditions.
Not all German opera is tedious. Consider "Die Zauberflöte," and "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" by Mozart.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:57 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:

A lot of it is due to exposure. There’s also an element of snobbishness to it as well, where those who appreciate “fine arts” think of themselves as highly sophisticated. They use it in order to look down upon others. If you do a bit of digging around, you’ll find that many of these “connoisseurs” are just there for the ride.

Many people are simply not interested in these types of activities as they don’t appeal to them. Why sit through an endless opera when I can go to a rock concert? Why watch a ballet performance when I could go to a monster truck event? If that’s what someone wishes to do, then they shouldn’t feel bad about it.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:12 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Cities with "culture" have, first, to be in countries with culture. For example the film capitals are Buenos Aires, Rome, Mumbai, Moscow, Berlin, because they are associated with the film industries associated with their countries.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:14 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Cities with "culture" have, first, to be in countries with culture. For example the film capitals are Buenos Aires, Rome, Mumbai, Moscow, Berlin, because they are associated with the film industries associated with their countries.
London has a massive film industry, from Hollywood blockbusters through to small independent films.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:01 PM

323 posts, read 260,589 times
The real question is: Why isn't Gary Indiana the culture, nightlife, arts and cuisine capital of the world??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World