Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2021, 11:00 AM

409 posts, read 333,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If there was any truth to this then instead of watching the Premier League the world would be watching the NFL no?
Definitely. Keep in mind, I say this as someone who prefers football over any NFL or American sports game for that matter. I'm just speaking on how the average American might view it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 11:06 AM

910 posts, read 367,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If there was any truth to this then instead of watching the Premier League the world would be watching the NFL no?
NBC, one of our major TV networks, shows several English Premier League games every week. The ratings are absolutely dismal! I think just some English people in Santa Monica watch it. NBC really tried to push it, with top British announcers, and the beautiful Rebecca Lowe. I sometimes watch it just to see Rebecca, I like the way she looks and talks.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
NBC, one of our major TV networks, shows several English Premier League games every week. The ratings are absolutely dismal! I think just some English people in Santa Monica watch it. NBC really tried to push it, with top British announcers, and the beautiful Rebecca Lowe. I sometimes watch it just to see Rebecca, I like the way she looks and talks.
But ONLY in the US and a handful of other countries, the ratings are HUGE across the rest of the globe, better in fact than any other sport on the planet (by some distance), traversely the NFL TV ratings are (I believe) good in the US and abysmal in the rest of the planet. You simply can't argue against the FACT that 'people' find football (soccer) the most entertaining sport.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:19 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I believe football is the most popular amature team sport in Australia, however the traditional professional sports take most of the talented athletes, and TV viewers.
Participating in organized Association football is practically a childhood rite of passage in the suburban USA, to the extent that the "soccer mom" became a metonym for for suburban voters and their concerns. There are also high school and university level teams, and a burgeoning professional scene which has managed to attract some top talent from Europe and elsewhere. But interest in Association football is still far behind that in other sports.

I understand Wales is another country where soccer struggles; the Welsh prefer Rugby.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:42 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Participating in organized Association football is practically a childhood rite of passage in the suburban USA, to the extent that the "soccer mom" became a metonym for for suburban voters and their concerns. There are also high school and university level teams, and a burgeoning professional scene which has managed to attract some top talent from Europe and elsewhere. But interest in Association football is still far behind that in other sports.

I understand Wales is another country where soccer struggles; the Welsh prefer Rugby.
The soccer mum saying has caught on a bit in Australia as well.

Both our kids (4 and 9) play soccer, rather than a more traditional Australian football code.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:35 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

Football (Soccer) doesn't struggle in Wales, they have some decent enough teams such as Swansea and Cardiff City, and the Welsh were out in force after they qualified for the world cup in Qatar.

Rugby is without doubt, a Welsh passion, however Rugby is popular throughout the UK and Ireland, and the six nations is a great competition, the six nations being England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and Italy.

Whilst Rugby is also very popular in countries such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Samoa, Fiji etc, and is a growing international sport, with the Rugby Union World Cup being a fantastic competition, the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan was amazing, and I look forward to the 2023 World Cup later this year in France.

It's also worth noting that the Cricket World Cup can also be amazing, and as for the Welsh they also like Cricket, their most notable county team being Glamorgan, and their major test ground being the The Cardiff Wales Stadium, which is more commonly known as Sophia Gardens.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-18-2023 at 02:43 AM..

Old 03-18-2023, 09:04 AM

^^

I forgot to mention Welsh Football (Soccer) club Wrexham AFC, which Hollywood Stars Ryan Reynold and Rob McElhenney co-own, and are passionate supporter of.

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney get freedom of Wrexham - BBC News (December 2022)

A few other Hollywood Celebs that support English and Welsh football teams -

Arsenal - Matt Damon, Kevin Costner, Kim Kardashian
Aston Villa - Tom Hanks (they are also Prince William's team)
AFC Bournemouth - Michael B. Jordan
Burnley - Snoop Dogg
Chelsea - Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson
Everton – Sylvester Stallone
Fulham – Margot Robbie
Leeds United – Russell Crowe
Liverpool – Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Samuel L. Jackson, Billy Bob Thornton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Leonardo DiCaprio.
Manchester City - Ice Cube, Jackie Chan
Manchester United - Justine Timberland and Megan Fox
Norwich - Hugh Jackman
Tottenham - Mark Wahlberg & Zac Efron
West Ham - Elijah Wood
Wrenham - Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney
Wolves - Mark Hamill

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-18-2023 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-18-2023, 12:23 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
With CTE awareness being more and more prevalent I don't see Rugby or Football being taken up by as many kids as they used to in the coming generation

Old 03-18-2023, 05:26 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Whilst Rugby is also very popular in countries such as Australia
It really isn't. It's very much a second tier sport in Australia. Rugby league and AFL are at the top, soccer is far more popular, in both participants and spectators, than rugby union. Actually, I think more people in Australia watched the Super Bowl last month than watched last year's Bledisloe (we can have a whole other discussion about how rugby has killed itself with over officiating).

As for why soccer isn't popular in the US, imo, shifting sports culture is almost impossible in any country.

Old 03-18-2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
With CTE awareness being more and more prevalent I don't see Rugby or Football being taken up by as many kids as they used to in the coming generation
CTF is far more prevalent in American Football than Association Football (Soccer) and in terms of soccer, it now has far lighter balls and ever more rules are coming in to force regarding the heading of the ball, so I think soccer has a bright future, and the same is true of cricket.

In terms of rugby, it is a tough game, and is linked to spinal and other injuries rather than CTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It really isn't. It's very much a second tier sport in Australia. Rugby league and AFL are at the top, soccer is far more popular, in both participants and spectators, than rugby union. Actually, I think more people in Australia watched the Super Bowl last month than watched last year's Bledisloe (we can have a whole other discussion about how rugby has killed itself with over officiating).

As for why soccer isn't popular in the US, imo, shifting sports culture is almost impossible in any country.
Australia continues to play a lot of international rugby, and lots of Australian fas seem to turn up, just as they do for the international cricket, and Australia has had some good teams, as for soccer, it's not something Australia is traditionally renowned for, however it seems to be becoming much more popular across the entire world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World